Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nesta
    replied
    Barrow bang to rights here basically, i expect a grovelling apology from the club

Leave a comment:

• Nesta
    replied
    August 1971 was still after decimalization though, which I think was in february of that year. For a couple of years before that you'd often get things- well, paperback books anyway- priced in both old and new money- ie 8 shillings/ 40 new pence. And 5np and 10np coins were in circulationand used interchangably with shilling and two shilling coins. In fact I remember there still being shilling and two shilling coins around in the eighties.

Not sure, but I think it might have become illegal to price things in old money after the official switch.

Leave a comment:

• Simon G
    replied
    Harrogate's 4th goal, I'm led to believe, summed up Southend's 2020.

Edit - In fact, here it is:
    https://twitter.com/sufconnor/status/1304803940832346112

Leave a comment:

• Paul S
    replied
    We (Southend) are under a transfer embargo and have another winding up order in the next ten days or so. The only surprise is we kept it to just 4-0.

Leave a comment:

• Simon G
    replied
    We were cruising at 1-0, then gave away a shocking penalty (shocking in how we gave it away, it was a stonewall penalty) and Morecambe equalised.

In the 92nd minute we're chasing the game and they catch us on the break.

Leave a comment:

• Janik
    replied
    Are Barrow claiming the cover is identical (baring league name and opponents) to that of the first game of their last season in the league, i.e. from August 1971 rather than April 1972?

Leave a comment:

• Janik
    replied
    Harrogate top, Southend bottom after day 1. One of these will prove longer-term than the other, I suspect.
    [other going-to-be-short-lived things include Cambridge being second]

Leave a comment:

• Diable Rouge
    replied
    A dream League debut for Harrogate at Roots Hall, while Barrow perhaps performing to expectations against Stevenage.

Leave a comment:

• Capybara
    replied
    That's a nice touch, but it's not identical clearly. They are also bending history a bit. Their last game in the League was in 1972. Decimalisation was in 1971. I have the programme from the first game of their last season and it cost 5p [\pedantry]

edit: Bah! Beaten to it.

Leave a comment:

• Nesta
    replied
    Wait a minute though, Barrow were voted out in 1972, after decimalization

Leave a comment:

• Nesta
    replied
    3.75 new pence iin case you were wondering

Leave a comment:

• Ray de Galles
    replied
    https://twitter.com/barrowafc/status/1304319034435960833?s=21

Leave a comment:

• Third rate Leszno
    replied
    They won't.

Leave a comment:

• Satchmo Distel
    replied
    How do these clubs survive if there are no fans allowed all season?

Leave a comment:

• Baptiste
    replied
    Could have copied that word for word - except predictably we lost both games on penalties and I still struggle with the notion of not finishing last season but starting this one
    Went to a game last week in the extra prelim round, so might see if I can attend a game in every round of the FA Cup but that could come to a juddering halt quite soon at this rate.

Leave a comment:

• slackster
    replied
    I’ve clocked Orient’s scores in the 2 cup games so far (both wins), but beyond that can’t summon up much enthusiasm for the start of the season, and wont be bothering to stream many games in empty stadiums. We’ve got a pretty settled squad from last year: not exactly worldbeaters but I think we might have enough about us to trouble the playoff spots - with the expectation that a fair few other L2 clubs will be struggling with finances and recruitment.

If allowed, I’ll maybe pootle off to a few one man & a dog local non-league fixtures instead to get my fix of hoofball cloggers and matchday experience.

Leave a comment:

• Walt Flanagans Dog
    replied
    Cambridge v Carlisle this weekend was due to be one of the pilot events for allowing fans in, but now it's back behind closed doors.

Leave a comment:

• jwdd27
    replied
    OK Snake let's pay the Indonesians what they want - Scunthorpe have an umlaut.

Kenan Dunnwald-Turan (or Doennwald-Turan I guess) has joined, having most recently been hanging around at Bristol Rovers.

Yet another forward, and yet another big lad. Lower league/youth experience in Germany, from where he comes.

Cox's strategy seems to be to stick some big bastards up front and bully our way to success.

Which would be laughable if it hadn't succeeded for other teams about 90% of the time I've watched Division 4 football.

John Gayle will be pushing 60 now, but he should stay by his phone.

Leave a comment:

• Third rate Leszno
    replied
    Less positively, Ryan Loft seemed to think he was better than he actually was, and by all accounts was a bit of an arrogant cock off the pitch too. Dare say he'll score against us, though...

Leave a comment:

• Walt Flanagans Dog
    replied
    Originally posted by jwdd27 View Post
    And another forward comes in (I'm guessing Coxy doesn't like the squad he's walked in on).

Ryan Loft, former Spurs and Leicester youth, on loan at Carlisle last season and scored the winner at our place. He's big for a quick lad, apparently.
    He could do a job in the right setting. Was mainly used as a sub during his time at Carlisle and always seemed to be thrown on when we were chasing a game, but we weren't much cop at crosses and set pieces last season, which limited his impact.

Leave a comment:

• jwdd27
    replied
    And another forward comes in (I'm guessing Coxy doesn't like the squad he's walked in on).

Ryan Loft, former Spurs and Leicester youth, on loan at Carlisle last season and scored the winner at our place. He's big for a quick lad, apparently.

Leave a comment:

• jwdd27
    replied
    Scunny have signed Myles Hippolyte from Yeovil for an undisclosed, probably exceptionally low fee.
    Winger/forward, started out at Brentford before starring for several not quite top level Scottish clubs (Falkirk, Livingston, St Mirren, Dunfermline).
    we seem to be building a fine squad who can "do a job" at the level below where we are now.

Pre-season continued today with a 1-0 defeat to Watford, which is better than 4-0 to Lincoln from a previous game. The season begins next weekend with the league cup, although I noticed a few clubs got that out of the way today.

Leave a comment:

• slackster
    replied
    No surprise the EFL (finally) boot Macc out, and probably deserved. They will do well to get through next season without a further cash crisis and imploding completely

Stevenage were woeful on the pitch this season, mind, and very lucky indeed to get a reprieve. I suspect they knew it was coming, though, as they’ve been buying new players with EFL pedigree recently, rather than wait for the announcement.

Leave a comment:

• Third rate Leszno
    replied
    Originally posted by Simon G View Post
    The EFL get their wish of not having to deal with a problem club

Got to feel for the Macclesfield fans, who seem to have been shafted from all sides.
    I suspect there will be several other problem clubs to deal with this season.

I do feel for the fans, but the owner has been taking the piss for far too long so this feels like the right decision to me.

Leave a comment:

• Satchmo Distel
    replied
    I infer that Macclesfield pissed off the EFL one time too many otherwise they might have been happy to hold the four points over to next season. But also they didn't want another Bury potentially calling games off and not being viable.

I wonder if Macclesfield will now be a headache for the Conference/NL.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X