Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jwdd27
    replied
    Scunthorpe go down to a division-leading 24th defeat of the season, equalling our previous worst at this level in 1975, when we had Neil Warnock flying down the wing.

3 years ago (and 4 years ago) we were preparing for the League 1 Play Offs, after a 5th (and 3rd) place finish. A swift descent since then, but the only way is up. Apart from down, that's also an option.

Leave a comment:

• longeared
    replied
    We played each other in the League Cup about five years ago, Cambridge equalised with virtually the last kick (plus ca change) and won in extra time. We also met in the FA Cup in 91, though I'd rather not talk about that, and again in the same competition a couple of years later when we ended up going to the final.

Leave a comment:

• ad hoc
    replied
    Yeah we just missed each other in 91.

Leave a comment:

• Satchmo Distel
    replied
    Originally posted by Gangster Octopus View Post
    By the way ad hoc, when did Sheffield Wednesday last play Cambridge United in the league?
    1983-84, 2nd tier, the last of four consecutive seasons. 1977-78, 3rd tier, seems to have been their first meeting. They avoided each other in the Beck era.

Leave a comment:

• Greenlander
    replied
    Yes, big congratulations to everyone coming up but especially Cheltenham who ensure we have some form of westcountry rival next season.

It could be worse, back in the late 80s we had to make do with West Brom.

Leave a comment:

• Discordant Resonance
    replied
    Originally posted by Logan Mountstuart View Post
    Congratulations to Simon G. And yes, you are West Country. I saw many a Cheltenham - Gloucester City Derby in my time from the other side. You've come a bloody long way since then. And Michael Duff is now very justifiably a club legend.

As a bloke from Stroud, I'm also happy for Forest Green. I still don't quite understand the hate. Although I do think the ground move to a soulless place by the M5 is a massive shame.

Please remind me people why they are the devil incarnate?
    Presumably the owner rubbing people up the wrong way - if he was actually from the area, suspect there would be fewer objections.

Leave a comment:

• ad hoc
    replied
    Originally posted by Gangster Octopus View Post
    By the way ad hoc, when did Sheffield Wednesday last play Cambridge United in the league?
    Been a while. I saw us play a few times in the second division when I was a teenager.

Leave a comment:

• Discordant Resonance
    replied
    Commiserations, Rogin - apart from Forest Green, all seem perfectly decent clubs in the playoffs, and only Tranmere have first-hand knowledge of the third tier since the Eighties.

Leave a comment:

• Logan Mountstuart
    replied
    Congratulations to Simon G. And yes, you are West Country. I saw many a Cheltenham - Gloucester City Derby in my time from the other side. You've come a bloody long way since then. And Michael Duff is now very justifiably a club legend.

As a bloke from Stroud, I'm also happy for Forest Green. I still don't quite understand the hate. Although I do think the ground move to a soulless place by the M5 is a massive shame.

Please remind me people why they are the devil incarnate?

Leave a comment:

• Gangster Octopus
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Gangster Octopus
    replied
    Congratulations to the otfers on here who've been promoted today.

Leave a comment:

• ad hoc
    replied
    If I have anything akin to a second team in the English professional game it's Cambridge Utd so this afternoon's result went some way to mitigating the previous football news. Just seen pictures of the players standing on the roof of the turnstiles celebrating with the fans in the car park, which gave me a bit of a positive buzz

Leave a comment:

• elguapo4
    replied
    Salford finish 8th . Surely they should be in the 2nd Division by now.

Leave a comment:

• Rogin the Armchair fan
    replied
    Exeter City in the playoff places AS THINGS STAND as Jeff likes to yell...

Leave a comment:

• Satchmo Distel
    replied
    Originally posted by tee rex View Post
    Salford's game v Orient has been delayed an hour. If they are still in play-off contention after the other games are done, there will be some serious ranting.
    Isn't it going to be hard to make the pitch playable in an hour? Salford need the win no matter what happens elsewhere; it's the ones above them who would gain an advantage by playing later.
    Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 08-05-2021, 13:32.

Leave a comment:

• Rogin the Armchair fan
    replied
    Originally posted by Nesta View Post
    So, to follow the logic, no relegation from any of the EFL divisions then? That'll give 22 teams in league two, 25 in league one and 27 in the championship, assuming the premier league is not willing to swell to 23 clubs.

Fucking clowns.
    Or alternatively, the real unfairness down the pyramid is that neither Gloucester or Fylde, or Dorking, are being promoted into the National League next season after their seasons got curtailed. In the spirit of such fairness they should promote two of those and Southend and Grimsby could volunteer to replace them in South and North next year.

Leave a comment:

• tee rex
    replied
    Salford's game v Orient has been delayed an hour. If they are still in play-off contention after the other games are done, there will be some serious ranting.

Leave a comment:

• Nesta
    replied
    So, to follow the logic, no relegation from any of the EFL divisions then? That'll give 22 teams in league two, 25 in league one and 27 in the championship, assuming the premier league is not willing to swell to 23 clubs.

Fucking clowns.

Leave a comment:

• Satchmo Distel
    replied
    They are getting laughed at in the comments, understandably. They opposed the Super League but want this protection from being relegated on merit?

Leave a comment:

• DCI Harry Batt
    replied
    Absolutely ludicrous people.

Leave a comment:

• Satchmo Distel
    replied
    This is the reasoning, although I can't see much logic there.

https://twitter.com/HumbersideSport/status/1390654245574266880

Leave a comment:

• Ray de Galles
    replied
    Yes. Strange, I wonder what he changed about it?

Leave a comment:

• Snake Plissken
    replied
    I think that was deleted. Do you mean this one?

https://twitter.com/Ollie_Bayliss/status/1390679829851295744

Leave a comment:

• Ray de Galles
    replied
    https://twitter.com/ollie_bayliss/status/1390675442361946115?s=21

Leave a comment:

• ingoldale
    replied
    Dear John Sheldon Fenty, "cheerio, cheerio, cheerio, cheerio, cheerio cheeriiiioooo!

Get the chuffin' beers in!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X