No announcement yet.

A Barrow-load of laughs - Division 4 2020/21

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sunderland are more likely than not to have league games against Cambridge and Sheff Wed next season, of course.

Comment

Originally posted by longeared View Post
      We played each other in the League Cup about five years ago, Cambridge equalised with virtually the last kick (plus ca change) and won in extra time. We also met in the FA Cup in 91, though I'd rather not talk about that, and again in the same competition a couple of years later when we ended up going to the final.
      I remember us playing in the FA Cup at the Abbey in the early 80s, during which a ball was caught by the Wednesday fans, and not thrown back until a replacement was in play, and somehow play wasn't stopped and Megson (I think) scored in the confusion. We won 2-1

Comment

Congrats to the Cambridge and Bolton fans on here. Absolutely delighted for Cambridge, taking a chance on a rookie manager and seeing it come off is always pleasing. Not quite as delighted about Bolton as I really wanted to go there to watch Carlisle and the chance has now gone. Although they've made do with a bit of a ragbag squad, I suspect their wage bill would be in the top 3 or 4 in the division, which means they've attracted a slightly higher quality of available players than most of us were able to do. Still, you can only congratulate them for the run they've put in and I certainly don't begrudge their fans a bit of joy after all the shit they've had to put up with these last couple of years.

Comment

Well, I'm a happy Boltonian today.

Quite a rollercoaster season, but I'm glad we were spared slipping into the play-offs and could go up in style.

My father is suitably contrite after his "sack Ian Evatt" diatribes earlier this season.

Comment

A very impressive run by Bolton - they were 20th in the first week of February with 25 games played - they got 48 points from their last 21 games, which helped them overtake Scunthorpe (16 points from the same).

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post

I remember us playing in the FA Cup at the Abbey in the early 80s, during which a ball was caught by the Wednesday fans, and not thrown back until a replacement was in play, and somehow play wasn't stopped and Megson (I think) scored in the confusion. We won 2-1
              19 Feb 83:

https://www.11v11.com/teams/sheffiel...idge%20United/

Comment

Very happy and relieved Wanderer here. So pleasing to see we saved our best performance of the season for when it really mattered. Like everyone I expect, I'm desperate to get back into the ground to watch my team live again. Delighted that it'll be in League 1.

Congrats to Cheltenham on a well deserved title win and to Cambridge for their promotion. See you both next season!

Comment

Well done to those going up, I had the Bolton match going on in the background to our plod, and the contrast was huge, despite similar amounts of possession going on.

I’m glad we got Morecambe as the other semi won’t have fans, but it was an abysmal last 20 mins as we gave up our notional attempts to score and decided to hold on for a point. But it was always going to be that way, as Keith Hill finally admitted post game, sort of throwing half the squad under the bus in the process, which will turn out to be genius, or writing his own resignation letter.

Comment

Originally posted by Baptiste View Post
                    Well done to those going up, I had the Bolton match going on in the background to our plod, and the contrast was huge, despite similar amounts of possession going on.

I’m glad we got Morecambe as the other semi won’t have fans, but it was an abysmal last 20 mins as we gave up our notional attempts to score and decided to hold on for a point. But it was always going to be that way, as Keith Hill finally admitted post game, sort of throwing half the squad under the bus in the process, which will turn out to be genius, or writing his own resignation letter.

I heard Hill's post match comments and he seemed to be hinting at some sort of unrest in the squad? He's an odd fish that has alienated a few players at his previous clubs, yet inspired loyalty from one or two. If, as looks likely, he's got a fully fit Vaughan going into the play offs that should give you a good chance.

Comment

Originally posted by Logan Mountstuart View Post
                      Congratulations to Simon G. And yes, you are West Country. I saw many a Cheltenham - Gloucester City Derby in my time from the other side. You've come a bloody long way since then. And Michael Duff is now very justifiably a club legend.

As a bloke from Stroud, I'm also happy for Forest Green. I still don't quite understand the hate. Although I do think the ground move to a soulless place by the M5 is a massive shame.

Please remind me people why they are the devil incarnate?
                      Rebranded and financially doped by a prick of an owner who generally uses them as a plaything and extension of his own rampant ego.

Comment

So relieved to finally get over the line - I really couldn't have faced another play-off lottery. Congrats to Cheltenham for winning the title and well done to Bolton for an amazing second half of the season. Bonner has been an absolute inspiration this season and is Cambridge United through and through.

Comment

Originally posted by Logan Mountstuart View Post
                          Congratulations to Simon G. And yes, you are West Country. I saw many a Cheltenham - Gloucester City Derby in my time from the other side. You've come a bloody long way since then. And Michael Duff is now very justifiably a club legend.

As a bloke from Stroud, I'm also happy for Forest Green. I still don't quite understand the hate. Although I do think the ground move to a soulless place by the M5 is a massive shame.

Please remind me people why they are the devil incarnate?
                          Basically what Ray said. Vince has simply made FGR an extension of Ecotricity. I assumed he was local tbf, but can see he was born in Great Yarmouth.

The new stadium is a joke, everyone can see that it's not about the football club, it's about the "eco-business" park that he wants to build with the ground at the centre of it. The eco-park hasn't got through the planning permission so was removed to have just the ground. Everyone knows the park will be brought in again soon though.

Not only that, but FGR are generally just a horrible team these days, their choice of manager hasn't really helped with Mark Cooper being a bell-end of the highest order.

As for us this season, it's genuinely been beyond my wildest dreams. After the playoffs last year, I was confident we'd be up there again this season because we kept the majority of our squad together. I didn't expect to go up as Champions though. Until about 3:10 yesterday I can't say I was overly bothered about being champions either, getting up was the aim, but when we went 1-0 down to Harrogate, the anger kicked in, and then when Callum Wright made it 4-1 to the Robins it was party-time.

Michael Duff will never reach Steve Cotterill levels, because Cotts is the one that started our climb 24 years ago, but Duff is clearly 2nd in terms of legend status now. As a player, he went from Southern League to the 3rd tier with Cheltenham and became our first ever internationally capped player (whilst still at the club), and now, as manager, he's won the club's first Football League title. It's definitely better than winning the playoffs.

Comment

Being Champions is definitely something special, and it doesn't happen very often at a smaller club - Scunny's League One title was the only one they've won in my lifetime, and only the second in their league existence (I never tire of informing people that they are still the reigning Division 3 (N) champions, having won the title the last season before reorganisation).

It's a shame of course that you didn't have fans there for it, it was a great day when we lifted the trophy, hopefully you'll get some sort of parade after restrictions get lifted further next week.

Comment

I'm very fortunate that it's the 3rd league win I've witnessed (we've won the Conference twice) so I didn't feel like I was missing out too much yesterday.

Talk has already turned to next season and I can't wait until June when the fixtures are released.

Comment

I still recall the disappointment of the final day of Cambridge's last promotion from this league. They had been top for a long time, but had slipped to second on the final day. Which happened to be against the team who had overtaken them - Brentford. That game, at the Abbey, ended 1-0 to Brentford to seal the title for the Bees. Who were managed at the time by Ron F*cking Noades (it is important to quote the bloke's full name).

Comment

There must be a few Bolton fans disappointed that they won't get an opportunity to complete the 92. You would assume they won't trouble this level for some time, if they're run faintly competently. They're one of only a few clubs to grace all four divisions in the last few decades, but the pandemic will see them miss a golden opportunity to tick off some grounds. Should have prioritised that over promotion, in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Janik View Post
                                    I still recall the disappointment of the final day of Cambridge's last promotion from this league. They had been top for a long time, but had slipped to second on the final day. Which happened to be against the team who had overtaken them - Brentford. That game, at the Abbey, ended 1-0 to Brentford to seal the title for the Bees. Who were managed at the time by Ron F*cking Noades (it is important to quote the bloke's full name).
                                    I was at that match too, but obviously remember my emotions differing from yours somewhat.

Although I believe that that was the game where Ijah Anderson got carried away in his celebrations and threw his shorts into the crowd, prompting a sudden gap in the delirium as 1000 Bees fans thought "Erm, Ijah, mate, you're not wearing any shorts"

Comment

Originally posted by JM Footzee View Post
                                      There must be a few Bolton fans disappointed that they won't get an opportunity to complete the 92. You would assume they won't trouble this level for some time, if they're run faintly competently. They're one of only a few clubs to grace all four divisions in the last few decades, but the pandemic will see them miss a golden opportunity to tick off some grounds. Should have prioritised that over promotion, in my opinion.
                                      Personally, I'll not lose any sleep over it! Most of us have comforted ourselves on every relegation in the last decade with "Ooh new grounds, we might win a few more" etc before the drudgery of another piss poor campaign kicked in. I'm crossing my fingers we never drop down again and get to visit those missed grounds in the cups or the league when those teams get promoted.

Comment

Originally posted by pebblethefish View Post

I was at that match too, but obviously remember my emotions differing from yours somewhat.

Although I believe that that was the game where Ijah Anderson got carried away in his celebrations and threw his shorts into the crowd, prompting a sudden gap in the delirium as 1000 Bees fans thought "Erm, Ijah, mate, you're not wearing any shorts"
                                        Give the bloke a break - he was trying (and by the sounds of it succeeding) in distracting you from the fact this meant you had won a title for Noades. That sort of sacrifice is vitally important stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Simon G View Post

Basically what Ray said. Vince has simply made FGR an extension of Ecotricity. I assumed he was local tbf, but can see he was born in Great Yarmouth.

The new stadium is a joke, everyone can see that it's not about the football club, it's about the "eco-business" park that he wants to build with the ground at the centre of it. The eco-park hasn't got through the planning permission so was removed to have just the ground. Everyone knows the park will be brought in again soon though.

Not only that, but FGR are generally just a horrible team these days, their choice of manager hasn't really helped with Mark Cooper being a bell-end of the highest order.
                                          I mean, just look at this muppet? You're 59 years old! Wanking on about selling "digital shirts" too.

Comment

The evil ones seem to have wiped out Newport's aggregate lead in a trice!

Comment

Working...
                                            X