A Barrow-load of laughs - Division 4 2020/21

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Simon G View Post
    This could probably go in the positives of Covid thread in World, but this Saturday we're away to Forest Green. No fans attending means that those idiots who think it's Millwall-West Ham at the height of the casuals won't get there 10 mins of standing behind police cordons pretending to want to fight in a town that's more sleepy than one of the 7 dwarves.
    So what happens when FGR play Shortwood Utd then?

Comment

Probably not as much as when we play Gloucester City.

Comment

Do Cheltenham fans still care about Gloucester?

Comment

A lot don't, but for me and people who've been supporting the club the same amount of time and more, they will always be our main rival.

A lot of the newer fans (since promotion in 1999) have tried to create rivalries with clubs that don't care about us (Bristol Rovers, Swindon, Oxford, Rushden and Diamonds, Hereford) but none have really stuck. That's why they cling to FGR so much now.

Comment

I've mentioned this before, but when I was doing missionary work south of the river back in 96-97, I was watching the Saturday results in the Alexandra in Wimbledon. The biggest cheer came when Sutton lost. Wimbledon were in the top division at the time, Sutton were, and still are, non-league...

Comment

I've mentioned it on here before - it's a historical thing between the two areas, not just football. It's probably not there as much anymore, but I do know people who won't go to Gloucester and vice-versa because of their weird prejudices.

Comment

I've mentioned it on here before - it's a historical thing between the two areas, not just football. It's probably not there as much anymore, but I do know people who won't go to Gloucester and vice-versa because of their weird prejudices.
                Ha, my mother is from Churchdown (roughly between the two), and her parents were very much Gloucester people, so they were perturbed when my mother was drawn instead to the delights of Cheltenham, which was a place they regarded with suspicion with its higher class pretensions, and avoided visiting even when my mother moved there.

Comment

Funny, because for some reason I always associate Gloucester as well with the moneyed classes. Maybe it's because it has an important rugby union team and in my prejudiced mind I associate such teams with (in my generalisations) upper middle class towns (Richmond, Bath etc.)

Comment

Originally posted by jwdd27 View Post

Ha, my mother is from Churchdown (roughly between the two), and her parents were very much Gloucester people, so they were perturbed when my mother was drawn instead to the delights of Cheltenham, which was a place they regarded with suspicion with its higher class pretensions, and avoided visiting even when my mother moved there.
                    I'm also from Churchdown. Well, I lived there from the ages of 6 to 18, and from 4-5. I consider it home still when I visit relatives over that way. I'd also move back there tomorrow if it was ever feasible.

Comment

One of my best mates is a Gloucester City fan, and hatred of Cheltenham from their end certainly be real. Don't suppose the years having to groundshare there helped

Comment

Is Cheltenham assumed to be more gentrified?

Comment

It's far posher than Gloucester, which would be called a dump if it was up north. Its location (and perhaps name) means people assume it's ye olde worlde Cotswolde, but it's really not.

Comment

Gloucester has gone through a lot of regeneration over the last 15-20 years or so, that being said the city centre looks a sorry state these days. When not working from home, I work on the edge of the city centre and Gloucester Quays is directly opposite. It's actually very nice there and on the docks these days.

Cheltenham also has it's rough areas, God knows I've never lived in a posh part of the town.

Originally posted by E10 Rifle View Post
                            One of my best mates is a Gloucester City fan, and hatred of Cheltenham from their end certainly be real. Don't suppose the years having to groundshare there helped
                            If anything, it did actually ease some tensions. A lot of Gloucester fans don't see Cheltenham in the same light, although with that being said a large number did refuse to set foot in Whaddon Road for a home game. The main issue Cheltenham fans had with it was the damage it did to our wonderful pitch. By February time it was looking like something out of the 70s, whereas before the groundshare it was like a snooker table year round. Some had the audacity to blame the pitch for our relegation back to non-league, failing to take into account that we couldn't win away either so that excuse didn't really hold much weight.

Comment

Three wins (and clean sheets) on the bounce for Scunthorpe now after an early Alfie Beestin goal saw off Colchester tonight. So our 6 games in January have been LLLWWW. Not sure if something has clicked or if we've just met 3 inferior opponents in Grimsby, Port Vale and Colchester.
                              We've been very lucky to avoid postponements and have now played 26 games, which is remarkable as we had a long stint of games called off through Covid in the Autumn.
                              A whole week off now before the inevitable crushing home defeat to Oldham.

Comment

Will this be their first midweek off for a while?

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                                  Will this be their first midweek off for a while?
                                  Last time we had a full week off was the week before Christmas, and before that it was the start of December, when we had a Saturday off because we were out of the cup, so played Tuesday-Tuesday. It's a gruelling schedule, but we've seemingly used about 50 players for it, so fatigue should be less of an issue.

Comment

So Southend are bottom of the league and are now 1-0 down to Port Vale after just one minute. Wake me up when this seasons over.

Comment

4-0 down at halftime. I think our league status has gone and I wouldn't be surprised if the club goes with it.

Comment

Lucky day yesterday with Morecambe blazing a penalty over and then having a man sent off for something he seemingly said, all just before HT.

Four wins in a row and up to 5th. Rock and Roll football as Mr Hill put it last week.

Comment

We're back-ack-ack from our enforced hiatus and despite an early goal looked rusty and eventually nervy, as we continued to gamble with our brand of low-possession football against a decent Exeter side. Exeter's Nicky Law announced his departure to Indianapolis promptly after the match, and in his interview noted that his first and last Exeter appearances were against Carlisle.

Comment

0-0 in the, urgh, Gloucestershire derby at the New Lawn.

By all accounts the game was a shite as the weather.

Barrow at home on Tuesday for Cheltenham

Comment

0-0 in the, urgh, Gloucestershire derby at the New Lawn.

By all accounts the game was a shite as the weather.

Barrow at home on Tuesday for Cheltenham
                                              We've got FGR at home so we'll swap if you want.

Comment

We have you next Saturday, which I'm really looking forward to. A lad I was in school with followed Carlisle, which is very odd growing up in Churchdown. He went to Wembley for the Auto Windscreens shield when they wore the deckchair kit and I've had a bit of a soft spot for them since.

Comment

My soft spot for Carlisle started when watching MOTD in a farmhouse in Eskdale* the day they went top of the league.

*Actually it was Miterdale, but no-one's heard of that...
                                                  Last edited by Gangster Octopus; 31-01-2021, 17:51. Reason: Just to explain that the farmhouse wasn't a generic one, but in a relevant place.

Comment

Catching Exeter unawares by playing the game after all, that's a low blow.

I would happily give up on our season but the table is so squashed that almost anybody who manages a win can start to hope again. (But not poor old Southend, that really is a shitshow. And they almost beat us).

Comment

Working...
                                                    X