No announcement yet.

A Barrow-load of laughs - Division 4 2020/21

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Absolutely gutting to concede an equaliser with the last kick of the game to a very good Cambridge team last night. That being said, it certainly was no more than they deserved. They are, by some distance, the best team I've seen in League 2 this season.

Comment

We've not played them yet, but funnily enough I'd say your mob are the best I've seen, with Newport a close second.

Comment

Speaking of Barrow - what are they like at the moment?

Comment

Originally posted by TonTon View Post
          Speaking of Barrow - what are they like at the moment?
          Starting to struggle - they drew a lot of games early on and looked hard to beat but they buckled late on against Oldham last night in what should have been a winnable game. Our local radio station covers them as well as Carlisle so we get a bit of Barrow chat in our matchday coverage. Their chairman was on last night sounding upbeat about the potential return of fans for both the impact on their finances and for the team to have a supportive crowd to play in front of, but even if they are in level 2 they are going to struggle to get the full 2,000 in within the guidelines.

Comment

Ta. Just thinking about our FA Cup game there tomorrow night. At least they played Tuesday as well.

Comment

I can't figure out why the FA shoe-horned that game into the schedule tomorrow, they could have played it on the 2nd round weekend and then played the resulting 2nd round game on say 8th December.

Comment

I guess they are in "get it done now" mode, given uncertainty. It does seem a bit much.

Comment

Typical Orient. Just when form collapses and panicky fans start to call for our inexperienced coach’s head, we go and win 3 on the bounce and climb into the playoff spots. Including a 3-2 away at Vale Park, where we’ve only won 2 of our 30 past visits.

Don’t think there will be fans next week at Scunny (tier 3), but should be up to 2000 drawn from a ballot of ST holders at our next home game, I believe.

Comment

A 5th consecutive win for Bolton yesterday, that seems to have eased the early season fears that we were heading for a 3rd successive relegation.

Southend were far better than their league position suggests and on another day could have been ahead at half time. We're very much still a work in progress but we do seem to be getting stronger each week. I suspect, like most in this division, we're heavily reliant on keeping a core group injury free as we've very little strength in depth. Hopefully being out of all the cups before December will do us a favour on that front.

Comment

Harrogate seem to be doing ok. Who else came up this year?

[Edit: Doh! Barrow...]
                      Last edited by DCI Harry Batt; 29-11-2020, 10:27.

Comment

Barrow. Who are treading water, not much more. Harrogate got off to a flier but have struggled lately - they looked pretty dreadful at our place last week

Comment

Well that was unexpected. We go into a game WWWWW versus LLLLL against a side we've never lost to at home. We concede 6 and it could have been 10. We scored 3 and it could have been 7.

Bizarre and yet strangely enjoyable. I'm sure our players were thankful that the area is in Tier 3 though.

Comment

Bolton 3 Port Vale 6 involved nine different scorers. I can't imagine that has happened often.

Comment

A quick search suggests it shares the record of nine with Spurs 4-5 Arsenal in 2004.

Comment

Someone on another forum pointed out that there were 8 different scorers in our game yesterday, so 17 goals in 2 games with 17 different scores. However, our first goal appears to have incorrectly been attributed to George Lloyd instead of Liam Sercombe (who later scored a penalty).

An excellent performance from Cheltenham yesterday, which I referred to in the Tiers thread. However, as good as Exeter were going forward, they were shocking defensively. We could have easily been 4 or 5 up at half-time alone.

A tough one away at Salford next week.

Comment

That "restore or discard" function is useful, this what I was going to say before the game, then deleted because ... well, jinxes are real, aren't they?

"Exeter are playing some quality football now, even grumpy old-timers (hello) revelling in some of the most enjoyable, eye-catching performances in years. I can say that for once because I've been as close to the live action as a season ticket holder.

Which is the kind of thing only an idiot would say before we play Cheltenham, and the fans return (a thousand of them, anyway)."

(So it turns out you can jinx it even without posting, the board doesn't let you un-tempt fate).

We seem to be very bullyable, unfortunately. Something about winning nothing with kids.

Comment

Your centre-backs were very much given the run around on Saturday, and every time our centre-backs went forward it seemed like open season.

That being said, I was terrified every time Exeter attacked.

Comment

With some fans back in Brisbane Rd I streamed a rare O’s yesterday. A game of two halves, as Orient came from behind and got their 2nd half act together to beat League Leaders Newport, who looked decent and worth the lead before half time. Our more miserablist fans have clung onto the “not beaten a team above us yet” stat to support their doom and gloom outlook, but that’s gone now. Maybe a top 7 finish is on the cards after all...

Comment

Forest Green v Oldham abandoned after 60 minutes because of poor weather. There was already ice and snow on the pitch apparently, and then the fog came down.

Comment

Grimsby have had a rather exciting end to 2020.

Aside from slipping into the bottom two of the Football League we appear, at least, to have got rid of both John Fenty and Holloway (definitely). Fenty was revealed to be consorting with a convicted fraudster (Alex May) and, if you read between the lines, it seems Holloway knew about this and used our league position to abandon ship when they were rumbled.

The result is the dire team we have been left with as been handed over to Paul Hurst and a consortium led by Tom Shutes, Andrew Stockwood and Jason Stockwood. Most supporters seem pleased with Hurst's reappointment and we are all delighted by news of the impending takeover.

Sadly, 16 signings about 2 weeks before the season started were given only one pre-season friendly to prepare and don't seem to have gelled or have a concrete game plan under Holloway. When I last checked we'd committed more fouls than any other club and only Scunthorpe had used more players. A frantic few days where the club seemed to release statement after statement, followed by separate statements from Holloway himself were all brought to a head just before the new year when Fenty agreed to sell.

If Peterborough sell Siriki Dembele for over ?100k we should get a share of that too although it is unclear as to whether we would get that or it would go towards buying Fenty's shares out at the moment.

We have a huge January ahead, playing several of the other clubs around and just above us, including free falling Port Vale on Saturday.

I am ashamed to say I have watched most games on ifollow (ashamed because I think ifollow is the thin end of the wedge in terms of the decline of football outside the PL and Championship) and we are in desperate need of a defender with pace, a creative centre midfielder and a forward who scores.

Fingers crossed the season continues as we'd be down if it ended now.

Comment

Scunthorpe look set to extend that "most players" record, they've signed midfielder Jem Karacan, who was a free agent. New one on me, mainly played for Reading in this country, and has most recently been in Australia, but has played for Galatasaray and Bursaspor.
                                            He's got Turkish U21 caps too, and is described as Turkish, although he was born in Catford, which is even more of a foreign country.

Comment

Originally posted by jwdd27 View Post
                                              Scunthorpe look set to extend that "most players" record, they've signed midfielder Jem Karacan, who was a free agent. New one on me, mainly played for Reading in this country, and has most recently been in Australia, but has played for Galatasaray and Bursaspor.
                                              He's got Turkish U21 caps too, and is described as Turkish, although he was born in Catford, which is even more of a foreign country.
                                              Of Turkish Cypriot descent I believe with limited Turkish language skills. Looked a decent player at one stage in his career, I think he got badly injured by another player, possibly Sheffield United and that knocked him back.

Comment

Originally posted by jwdd27 View Post
                                                He was just what we needed to seal promotion from league 1 in 2017. A busy, combative midfielder who scored the opening goal in the last day win that took us up.

He didnt look the same player at championship level and there were rumours he and Phil Parkinson had fallen out before he was moved on.

Comment

I think his age/experience will prove useful, as it's mostly kids we've got now who need some on field guidance, and he talked a good game in his joining interview, so I've got high hopes if he stays fit.

Comment

Carlisle v Orient called off in good time, so that Orient don't need to travel. There is no chance of things changing before 3pm tomorrow given that it is already like Ice Station Zebra here and it is forecast to be -7 tonight. Still, leaves a hole in the weekend plans and means we'll have to wait to see our new signing Ozzy Zanzala in action - hopefully on Tuesday.....goes to check weather forecast in Harrogate....

Comment

Working...
                                                    X