A Barrow-load of laughs - Division 4 2020/21

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Walt Flanagans Dog View Post

Workington had a good almost-season and were on course for promotion, but even then they have a glass ceiling as to how for they can get (unless new money came in).
    In the same division, of course, Kendal Town were second bottom and heading for the trap door when Covid intervened. The previous season they had finished the completed season in the relegation places only to be reprieved by Colwyn Bay decamping to the Welsh League.

Comment

Port Vale's Tom Pope has followed up last season's paltry one match ban for offensive comments on Twitter with a proper big boy six match ban for an "anti-Semitic/not anti-Semitic/could be/wasn't intended/oh FFS get off Twitter you dullard" tweet.

Comment

Scunny started pre-season training today, and unveiled FOUR new signings. I guess the club photographer has been on furlough from the "hold up the shirt" shots.

They're obviously shopping at the cheap and cheerful, worth a shot, won't cost us much if it goes worng end of the market.

Kelsey Mooney, striker, son of Tommy. Youth at Villa, more recently at Hereford.
        Aaron Jarvis, striker, most recently Sutton United, former Luton.
        Lewis Spence, midfield, Scottish, with Dundee in the Prem, most recently Ross County.
        Emmanuel Onariase, defender, Dagenham and Redbridge. He's got the number 6 shirt, so might actually be half decent, previously with Brentford, Rotherham and Cheltenham so maybe some OTF'ers will know of him. A lot of former clubs for a 23 year old.

Comment

Manny was brilliant in his first loan spell with Cheltenham and dreadful in his second.

We also had Kelsey Mooney on loan for the first half of the 18/19 season. Was very raw, but clearly had a bit of talent. Hard to judge him fully though as he didn't play much once Luke Varney signed.

Comment

Frank Vincent has also arrived at Glanford Park on a season long loan from Bournemouth. 21-y-o attacking midfielder.
            20 odd games on loan at Torquay last season seem to be the sum total of his experience, his Wikipedia entry concentrates mainly on his acting work, he of course played Billy Batts in Goodfellas, Phil Leotardo in The Sopranos, and quite a few other obnoxious made guys.

Now go home and get your fuckin' shinebox, League Two defences.

Comment

Originally posted by jwdd27 View Post
              Scunny started pre-season training today, and unveiled FOUR new signings. I guess the club photographer has been on furlough from the "hold up the shirt" shots.

They're obviously shopping at the cheap and cheerful, worth a shot, won't cost us much if it goes wrong end of the market.
              Very similar at Carlisle on the cheap and cheerful front, except we started on Monday and have so far announced seven new signings - they have actually done this really well and created a lot of interest on social media. PR certainly seems to be improving at the club, admittedly from quite a low base in recent years - the kit launch was done well, and the club has been surprisingly open about things during the lockdown.

Anyway our list for now:

George Tanner, defender, ex Man United and Morecambe. 20
              Rod McDonald, defender, ex Northampton, Coventry, Wimbledon, 28
              Gavin Reilly, striker, ex QOS, Hearts, Bristol Rovers and Cheltenham, 27
              Josh Kayode, striker on loan from Rotherham (we also had him on loan last season), 19
              Joe Riley, utility player, ex Man United, Sheffield United (where he had a "freak training ground accident) and Bradford (where he "suffered another freak injury), 23
              Jack Armer, defender ex Preston, who had a "fruitful loan spell at Lancaster" apparently, 19
              Danny Devine, midfielder, ex Bradford, 22

Comment

We seem to have done our business pretty early. Training started last week with a pre season friendly played already too.

After last season where we had practically a whole squad of loanees, kids and old pros on a years deal, its refreshing to see us trying to build a team with our own players. So far its been a mixture of the relatively well known - Doyle, Sarcevic, Crawford and Delfouenso with the something to prove, possible potential types - Taft, Comley, White, Greenidge.

I've not the first clue how we'll get on. I just hope we can actually get to games, sooner rather than later

Comment

Originally posted by jwdd27 View Post
                  Frank Vincent has also arrived at Glanford Park on a season long loan from Bournemouth. 21-y-o attacking midfielder.
                  20 odd games on loan at Torquay last season seem to be the sum total of his experience, his Wikipedia entry concentrates mainly on his acting work, he of course played Billy Batts in Goodfellas, Phil Leotardo in The Sopranos, and quite a few other obnoxious made guys.

Now go home and get your fuckin' shinebox, League Two defences.
                  I know Frank's parents well, especially his mother as her brother is one of my oldest friends. I can't tell you anything about his footballing ability but his grandfather is sculptor, performance artist and painter Bruce McLean and that whole side of the family is very artistic so you'd hope he has a cultured left foot at least.
                  Last edited by Ray de Galles; 06-08-2020, 23:02.

Comment

Originally posted by Foot of Astaire's View Post
                    We seem to have done our business pretty early. Training started last week with a pre season friendly played already too.

After last season where we had practically a whole squad of loanees, kids and old pros on a years deal, its refreshing to see us trying to build a team with our own players. So far its been a mixture of the relatively well known - Doyle, Sarcevic, Crawford and Delfouenso with the something to prove, possible potential types - Taft, Comley, White, Greenidge.

I've not the first clue how we'll get on. I just hope we can actually get to games, sooner rather than later
                    Some of your fans on another messageboard I frequent have you in the Championship already due to Ian Evatt being the League Two Pep Guardiola.

Personally, I think Doyle isn't as great a signing as he's expected to be. He was fantastic at Swindon for the first half of last season, but the return to Bradford and subsequent permanent move to Swindon saw his form drop right off. Before the first half of last season his form was very patchy so it looks like he had a hell of a purple patch from August to January.

Sarcevic is a fantastic signing though.

We're being linked with Shay McCartan - promoted with Lincoln a couple of years back and played in League 1 with Bradford. All I really know about him is that he's played against us twice and scored on both occasions.

Comment

Orient haven’t done much business on the player front, but we have been bloating up our coaching team with inexperienced types (mostly recently retired Os players)...at the same time as sacking a couple of peripheral coaching employees because of “unavoidable” covid cost-cutting. Something doesn’t sit right with the cosy compliant old boys crew DoF Martin Ling has assembled beneath him to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post

I know Frank's parents well, especially his mother as her brother is one of my oldest friends. I can't tell you anything about his footballing ability but his grandfather is sculptor, performance artist and painter Bruce McLean and that whole side of the family is very artistic so you'd hope he has a cultured left foot at least.
                        Heh, thanks for that, I'll have to ask my father if he knows Bruce, it looks like they might have briefly been on the same "scenes" in the late 60s and early 70s.

Comment

Originally posted by Simon G View Post

Some of your fans on another messageboard I frequent have you in the Championship already due to Ian Evatt being the League Two Pep Guardiola.

Personally, I think Doyle isn't as great a signing as he's expected to be. He was fantastic at Swindon for the first half of last season, but the return to Bradford and subsequent permanent move to Swindon saw his form drop right off. Before the first half of last season his form was very patchy so it looks like he had a hell of a purple patch from August to January.

Sarcevic is a fantastic signing though.

We're being linked with Shay McCartan - promoted with Lincoln a couple of years back and played in League 1 with Bradford. All I really know about him is that he's played against us twice and scored on both occasions.
                          Aye. Every club has them. Dont they?

There's a lot of ironic gallows humour going on too. I'm old enough to remember last time we were in the 4th division and whilst we were only there for a season we got out by the skin of our teeth. It's nice that we're relatively stable for once and I'll be happy with getting back to games and, please God, a top half finish.

Doyle's record away from Bradford is pretty good and worth a punt imo. Hopefully we wont be too reliant on him.

Vale and Salford are the two teams I expect to do well. Perhaps Tranmere too if they hang onto the bulk of their side and somehow get Vaughan back.

What are you expecting for Cheltenham this season?

Comment

I'm bullish at the moment because I think we were heading towards automatic promotion before lockdown. Our second leg performance in the playoffs opened our eyes a little, but that was by far our worst performance of the season. As such, I think we need to be aiming for automatic promotion again.

We've kept the vast majority of our squad from last season, and the only real shock was the release of Luke Varney. That being said, I think he's been replaced well with Andy Williams coming in from Northampton. Liam Sercombe has come in saying the right things as well about how this is a club looking for promotion and not just to bumble along (I know most signings say that). Our biggest issue is in goal because Scott Flinders is still out until at least January and we need to get a decent lad in on loan. We know from experience that this is a massive risk - for every Jack Butland and Owen Evans there's a Russell Griffiths and Jon Flatt.

I expect Vale to be up there, like ourselves, they'd hit form at just the right time last season before lockdown. I think Salford's biggest hindrance will be Graham Alexander. They're officially "going for it" this summer by the looks of things, but Alexander is a poor manager and if they do well it will be despite him not because of him. Same goes for Bradford - they had a decent squad anyway, but I don't really rate Stuart McCall as a manager.

Comment

Neil Cox is Scunthorpe's new manager. Previously assistant to Ardley at Wimbledon and Notts Co., and he is of course a local lad, making 20-odd appearances before Villa came in for him.
                              He is my age, and I often cite him as an example when people are trying to tell me how good their lad is and how professional clubs are interested in them.
                              Coxy was a decent player, but was probably only just in the top 10 for our year group around the town.
                              The difference is dedication to training and cleaner living, and, significantly, physique (which served him well when Ravanelli needed taking down a peg at Boro).

Good luck to us. I've not good a good feeling about this season.

Comment

Originally posted by Walt Flanagans Dog View Post

Very similar at Carlisle on the cheap and cheerful front, except we started on Monday and have so far announced seven new signings - they have actually done this really well and created a lot of interest on social media. PR certainly seems to be improving at the club, admittedly from quite a low base in recent years - the kit launch was done well, and the club has been surprisingly open about things during the lockdown.

Anyway our list for now:

George Tanner, defender, ex Man United and Morecambe. 20
                                Rod McDonald, defender, ex Northampton, Coventry, Wimbledon, 28
                                Gavin Reilly, striker, ex QOS, Hearts, Bristol Rovers and Cheltenham, 27
                                Josh Kayode, striker on loan from Rotherham (we also had him on loan last season), 19
                                Joe Riley, utility player, ex Man United, Sheffield United (where he had a "freak training ground accident) and Bradford (where he "suffered another freak injury), 23
                                Jack Armer, defender ex Preston, who had a "fruitful loan spell at Lancaster" apparently, 19
                                Danny Devine, midfielder, ex Bradford, 22
                                I'm intrigued about Joe Riley. Stood on broken glass while stamping feet after argument with Steve Lamacq about Elastica?

Comment

Goodbye Macclesfield, hello again Stevenage.

Comment

Isn't that last season?

Comment

The EFL get their wish of not having to deal with a problem club next season.

And Stevenage, a team who won 3 times last season, manage to stay up.

Got to feel for the Macclesfield fans, who seem to have been shafted from all sides.

Comment

The club were deducted 17 points over last season. Not a good record.

Comment

The poor buggers. I cant imagine Stevenage wanted to stay up like that

Comment

Maybe I'm cynical, but I can't imagine Stevenage gave a rat's arse about Macclesfield.

Comment

I infer that Macclesfield pissed off the EFL one time too many otherwise they might have been happy to hold the four points over to next season. But also they didn't want another Bury potentially calling games off and not being viable.

I wonder if Macclesfield will now be a headache for the Conference/NL.

Comment

Originally posted by Simon G View Post
                                                The EFL get their wish of not having to deal with a problem club

Got to feel for the Macclesfield fans, who seem to have been shafted from all sides.
                                                I suspect there will be several other problem clubs to deal with this season.

I do feel for the fans, but the owner has been taking the piss for far too long so this feels like the right decision to me.

Comment

No surprise the EFL (finally) boot Macc out, and probably deserved. They will do well to get through next season without a further cash crisis and imploding completely

Stevenage were woeful on the pitch this season, mind, and very lucky indeed to get a reprieve. I suspect they knew it was coming, though, as they’ve been buying new players with EFL pedigree recently, rather than wait for the announcement.

Comment

Scunny have signed Myles Hippolyte from Yeovil for an undisclosed, probably exceptionally low fee.
                                                    Winger/forward, started out at Brentford before starring for several not quite top level Scottish clubs (Falkirk, Livingston, St Mirren, Dunfermline).
                                                    we seem to be building a fine squad who can "do a job" at the level below where we are now.

Pre-season continued today with a 1-0 defeat to Watford, which is better than 4-0 to Lincoln from a previous game. The season begins next weekend with the league cup, although I noticed a few clubs got that out of the way today.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X