A Barrow-load of laughs - Division 4 2020/21

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Barrow-load of laughs - Division 4 2020/21

Only because I wanted to get the pun in.

Anyway - Cheltenham announced their retained list on Tuesday and only two players who weren't already signed on have been offered deals - Joshua Debayo and Chris Clements. This also means that we say goodbye to the last squad member of our Conference winning team of 2016 - Rhys Lovett. He made 1 start and 1 sub appearance in the League in 5 years - he just wasn't ever going to break through.

We also say goodbye to Luke Varney who has been an excellent signing in the last couple of seasons. He was also the only player in the squad older than me - so I guess the dream is officially over again.

Joshua Debayo has since turned down the new contract offer.

I was toying with "Back: Barrow" but hesitated as it's a bit of an obscure reference, and then thought of "Like a Furness in here" but it wasn't really scanning.

I think it is going to be a financial bloodbath at our level next season and beyond - Carlisle are in a similar position of releasing most players who were on any sort of wage, and we are going to have a very young team whenever the new season starts. I expect most clubs are going to be in a similar position and it could be fairly desperate in terms of quality on the pitch across the division, unless some more experienced players radically downscale their contract expectations. I don't think I've looked forward to a season less, and if all 24 teams make it to the end of the season it will be an achievement in itself.

Comment

I’ll be amazed if Macclesfield Town are still around this time next year.

Comment

It's a barrel load of laughs, isn't it? Or is that the pun you were going for, Simon?

Comment

It'll be our first time at this level since the 87/88 season. Unlike last time, we're in an embargo but given the pandemic it's likely to be a division of financial basket cases which may be a leveller.

We're now not only the side with the most relegations in the EFL, we also have the worst away record in the last 10 years across all 4 divisions. All our previous recent relegations has led to the optimists looking forward to a few more wins and a few new grounds to visit. I'm not sure we can do either this year.

At least there's the prospect of a new manager to look forward to. Gone are the irritating and occasionally insane ramblings of Keith Hill. Who's coming in isn't known yet but it appears we're not going to win any friends in Barrow given the current negotiations over Ian Evatt.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
            It's a barrel load of laughs, isn't it? Or is that the pun you were going for, Simon?
            That was the pun Ray - I completely forgot there was such a thing as a barrow

Comment

Simon - how has Jonte Smith been for you? Headlines here about him being released.

Comment

Originally posted by Walt Flanagans Dog View Post
                I was toying with "Back: Barrow"
                Well I, for one, would've been delighted with a reference to town of dolly blue...

Comment

Originally posted by Bermuda Iron View Post
                  Simon - how has Jonte Smith been for you? Headlines here about him being released.
                  He was decent as a squad player. Whenever he was a sub, he came on and made a difference. Unfortunately, whenever he started he didn't perform to the same level.

As a man, there's been fewer nicer that have played for the club. A friend of mine saw him in the local Tesco after a Tuesday game and they chatted for a good 15 mins, and he was more than happy to have a photo with my friend's lad even though it was quite late and he was obviously tired from the game.

Comment

Originally posted by Simon G View Post

He was decent as a squad player. Whenever he was a sub, he came on and made a difference. Unfortunately, whenever he started he didn't perform to the same level.

As a man, there's been fewer nicer that have played for the club. A friend of mine saw him in the local Tesco after a Tuesday game and they chatted for a good 15 mins, and he was more than happy to have a photo with my friend's lad even though it was quite late and he was obviously tired from the game.
                    Thanks Simon. Whenever he comes back here for an international game he comes over as a nice guy. I get involved occasionally with the national squads and he is definitely one of the more personable ones. I hope he finds a new club for next season.

Comment

News of the pandemic appears yet to have reached Burslem, as Port Vale agree a three year contract with a striker you'll not have heard of who was recently let go by Salford. Devante Rodney lists Manchester City on his CV, though is better known by supporters of Hartlepool, FC Halifax Town and Stockport County.

Comment

Originally posted by HORN Reborn View Post
                        News of the pandemic appears yet to have reached Burslem, as Port Vale agree a three year contract with a striker you'll not have heard of who was recently let go by Salford. Devante Rodney lists Manchester City on his CV, though is better known by supporters of Hartlepool, FC Halifax Town and Stockport County.
                        Vale had a strong finish to the season. Have they hung onto most of their squad or were many out of contract?

Comment

I hope Exeter either go straight up or finish 10th. Can't face the dashed hopes of yet another playoff final defeat.

Comment

Originally posted by Foot of Astaire's View Post

Vale had a strong finish to the season. Have they hung onto most of their squad or were many out of contract?
                            In actual fact they've retained almost the entire squad. Smith (good centre-half, rumoured to be off to Stoke) is the only one yet to commit.

Comment

One of Harrogate or Notts County will be bothering this thread next season.

Comment

Barnet lost? There's going to be fun ib Canons Park next season...

Comment

Barnet was potentially one of the few opportunities this season to watch a game and spend time in the capital. Once away fans can travel again, I imagine Orient will benefit from their uniqueness in division 4 this season with a few sell out away allocations.

Comment

I was very suprised that Bolton managed to entice Ian Evatt after what he had created with Barrow. He's certainly exchanging a club on a steep upward curve for one taking the reverse trip but the pull of the 'big club' clearly held sway, despite Bolton's still delicate situation. Anyway, David Dunn in at Barrow - hope he does well. Always liked him as a player.

Comment

They're a (relatively) local club to you these days, aren't they.

Comment

Originally posted by Foot of Astaire's View Post
                                        Barnet was potentially one of the few opportunities this season to watch a game and spend time in the capital. Once away fans can travel again, I imagine Orient will benefit from their uniqueness in division 4 this season with a few sell out away allocations.
                                        Orient currently have Yaya Toure training with them, which is something of a coup, although obviously it's purely for fitness until easing of travel restrictions means he can find his next easy/lucrative foreign assignment. It would be fun if he squeezed in a pre-season friendly though. Only 37, allegedly.

Comment

Originally posted by Tony C View Post
                                          I was very suprised that Bolton managed to entice Ian Evatt after what he had created with Barrow. He's certainly exchanging a club on a steep upward curve for one taking the reverse trip but the pull of the 'big club' clearly held sway, despite Bolton's still delicate situation. Anyway, David Dunn in at Barrow - hope he does well. Always liked him as a player.
                                          I thought he might stay another season with them and hold out for a job higher up the league but I suppose it's hard to turn down an opportunity to manage a 'larger' club and all that comes with it, when a chance comes along. He's come across really well so far although it would be hard not too, after the previous blokes incoherent rambling.

Our newish owners have done some great work in the background, clearing outstanding debts, reestablishing links with the local area etc. There's an optimism around the place again and I've already heard "We're in a lower division. We should win a few more games this year" which hasn't worked out too well this last decade or so!

I do feel for Barrow though, their first time back at this level in decades and losing Evatt must have been a blow. Good luck to them and Dunn. I was surprised Blackpool didn't give him the gig when he was there.

Comment

Originally posted by Gangster Octopus View Post
                                            They're a (relatively) local club to you these days, aren't they.
                                            Yes. I went a couple of times last season and they impressed me. God knows Cumbrian football needs some kind of success story - for a county of this size it punches way below its weight.

Comment

Originally posted by Tony C View Post
                                              Yes. I went a couple of times last season and they impressed me. God knows Cumbrian football needs some kind of success story - for a county of this size it punches way below its weight.
                                              Not expecting much success at this end of the county any time soon - with the latest bout of contract rejections Carlisle's longest serving player is now John Mellish, who we signed in May 2019, and the player with the most appearances for the club within the current squad now stands at 24.

Workington had a good almost-season and were on course for promotion, but even then they have a glass ceiling as to how for they can get (unless new money came in).

Comment

I'd not realised Tony was back in Blighty.

Someone told me Barrow's players travel to home games on a coach as they're largely based in Greater Manchester, training in Rochdale. It makes sense but it seems just a bit weird. How do they organise their youth teams etc?

Comment

Originally posted by HORN Reborn View Post
                                                  I'd not realised Tony was back in Blighty.

Someone told me Barrow's players travel to home games on a coach as they're largely based in Greater Manchester, training in Rochdale. It makes sense but it seems just a bit weird. How do they organise their youth teams etc?
                                                  Think that's been the case for some time, don't know if it has always been Rochdale but Liverpool/Manchester has been their usual recruiting area - can't remember who it was but one of their previous management teams was from Liverpool and brought a lot of local players with them. It's not the easiest place to get to (from any direction really) so it makes sense for them to train down there rather than bringing them up to Barrow.

Similarly, I don't know if it is still the case but I remember Stranraer used to train at Kilmarnock and Queen of the South also used to train near Glasgow.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X