Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who Dares Scores

Comment

Yeah, congratulations to Simon and Cheltenham, and commiserations to ingoldale - I'm sad to see Grimsby drop down, it's an away trip I always look forward to.

Comment

Echoed from me too - Cheltenham were a decent side and less cynical than most we've seen in this division.

For the second game running we lost a centre back to injury early on and I thought we would fold there and then but we gave it a good go. Which in itself is frustrating - we have done that against the better sides on a few occasions during our meltdown and then really toiled against teams at the foot of the table.

Comment

Originally posted by Third rate Leszno View Post
          Yeah, congratulations to Simon and Cheltenham, and commiserations to ingoldale.
          Agreed. Great to see Cheltenham promoted,

Comment

Thanks all. I'm enjoying a quiet beer in celebration whilst reading social media and being annoyed at my Sky Q box breaking yesterday meaning I couldn't watch Sky Sports News when promotion was confirmed.

I'm so proud of how we bounced back following the catastrophe that was our playoff 2nd leg against Northampton last season. You only have to look at what's happened at Colchester to see how bad things can turn out. Michael Duff was already a legend at the club for what he achieved as a player, now he's cemented legendary status to such an extent that it's hard to think of anyone ahead of him - Steve Cotterill maybe because he began all of this 24 years ago. Paul Baker as well for backing Cotts.

That's a discussion for another place and another time though, right now I'll get back to my quiet beer.

Comment

Congrats to Cheltenham. As we're unlikely to join them, I wish them well in their quest to become the Westcountry's* second highest club next season. I don't think they've made it that far up the pecking order before.

(*Bournemouth don't count, they were on Southern, not TSW or HTV).

Comment

Cheltenham is an easy away day for me so hopefully there will be away fans allowed at Whaddon Road next season.

The last time I was there Cheltenham were getting relegated to the Conference so it's been a busy 5 or so years for the Robins.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                  Cheltenham is an easy away day for me so hopefully there will be away fans allowed at Whaddon Road next season.

The last time I was there Cheltenham were getting relegated to the Conference so it's been a busy 5 or so years for the Robins.
                  In the past 24 years - we've had 6 promotions and 3 relegations and 3 failed playoff attempts. We've also had 2 successful final day reprieves and a few other battles at the bottom. In our first two seasons in the Football League we missed out on the playoffs on the last day.

I think between 2003 and 2005, 13/14 and 18/19 (and even that was only because of a brilliant second half of the season) have been our only seasons where we haven't been battling at one end of the table or the other.

My uncle, who's sadly no longer with us, picked the right time to start taking me to football.

Originally posted by tee rex View Post
                  Congrats to Cheltenham. As we're unlikely to join them, I wish them well in their quest to become the Westcountry's* second highest club next season. I don't think they've made it that far up the pecking order before.

(*Bournemouth don't count, they were on Southern, not TSW or HTV).
                  I think most of Cheltenham was covered by Central, but I've always considered us Westcountry, just the very northern tip of it.

We were up in the 3rd tier in 03/04, but Plymouth, Swindon (do they count) and Bristol City all finished above us. Between 2006 and 2009 we were also in the 3rd tier. In 06/07, Plymouth were in the second tier and Bristol City and Yeovil finished the season above us. In 07/08 both Bristol City and Plymouth were in tier 2 and both Yeovil and Bristol Rovers finished above us. The same goes for 08/09.

Remaining the top team in Gloucestershire has been the biggest challenged of the last 6 years, with FGR being bankrolled above their station. This season will be the 38th time in 39 years that we've been the highest ranking club in the county (despite affiliation to the Gloucestershire FA we don't count the Bristol clubs). Barring a miracle, regardless of how we do next season it will be 29 times in 40 years. And I like the sound of that.

Comment

Congratulations to Cheltenham. While everyone else has been doing their best not to stay in the promotion places, they've been consistently up there. A Duff v Cotterill match up for next season too.

Comment

On social media I've raised the question of who is now the bigger legend at the club.

Cotterill was where it all began with 3 promotions in 5 years and bringing in professionalism at the club. However, Duff was a player for that whole rise and a couple of years after Cotts moved on. He's now achieved something that even Cotts didn't by winning automatic promotion in the Football League (he may still win the League 2 title), so does it put him above Cotterill?

I don't think it does, yet, but another year and keeping us in League One would raise the question again.

Comment

Congratulations to Cheltenham, well done on getting promoted. Now if you could just see your way to losing the next two games ...

Comment

Balls.

Comment

Originally posted by jwdd27 View Post
                            Cheltenham promoted, congrats Simon G
                            Grimsby relegated, comiss ingoldale the impossible dream was alive for a while there.

Southend need two victories and to overcome an 8 goal GD deficit with Scunny, which is achievable as we're conceding over 3 a game at the moment.
                            Barrow are safe after a fine win at Forest Green, who are now out of the play off frame in favour of Salford, who seem to have some momentum.

One of Newport's goals was scored by Lewis Collins - his first league goal and his second as a professional.
                            Laughter in the dark. Well, I laughed anyway.
                            Thanks jwdd27 I think I made my peace with relegation when we lost at Southend in December. We were so poor that night it was obvious we were in a relegation fight. It's harsh on Hurst because he really did get a team playing again and one that was difficult to beat if not brilliant going forward. None of this is his fault and it find it hard to understand those Grimsby supporters that are out there saying he failed because we didn't stay up or this was partially his fault due to his selection policies.

Nevertheless, with a new takeover due to happen next week I feel a great deal of optimism. If things go well we can regroup and come back better, bigger, stronger and more community minded like Luton and, it pains me to say, Lincoln. Both teams have not only done that but kicked on even further and show no signs of looking back.

UTM

Comment

In my happiness last night, I completely forgot to send commiserations ingoldale. Despite the apparent rivalry over the years (mainly due to Harry Pell it appears) I've always liked Grimsby ever since we beat them in the playoff final in Cardiff and we bumped into a few fans in the City after who bought us a drink as a congratulations on the day.

Thought they were going to do it, and that run in the last 15 or so games was outstanding, just a shame there was so many draws. A couple of them being turned into wins could have made all the difference.

I think Hurst is the right man to take them back up, he's been there and done it all before with Grimsby. The only hindrance will be the fact that, from what I can see, a number of Grimsby fans simply won't accept him. Even when he won promotion in 2016 there appeared to a be a few more peed off that he criticised his doubters than happy that he got them up.

Comment

Aye, commiserations Ingoldale. Grimsby's fate appears to have been sealed by the Fenty/Holloway mess. Congrats Simon and Cheltenham - richly deserved and the best team in this division.

Mad to think you've had as many promotions in 24 years as we have in 140

Comment

Originally posted by Reality Checkpoint View Post
                                  Congratulations to Cheltenham, well done on getting promoted. Now if you could just see your way to losing the next two games ...
                                  Hmm. After tonight I don't think catching Cheltenham is a serious priority...

Comment

Where's your last game?

Comment

Cambridge are at home to Grimsby. Cheltenham have Newport (A) and Harrogate (H) needing two points for the title.

Comment

We need 3 points, especially with Bolton winning.

Apparently we haven't turned up today - think a few may have overdone the partying on Tuesday night.

Comment

Exeter equalise at Bolton, FGR one up at Tranmere but down to ten men, I don't think I'll survive the next twenty minutes - rats Morecambe go two up at Walsall

Comment

Commiserations to Paul S - Southend are relegated.

Comment

Originally posted by Discordant Resonance View Post
                                              Commiserations to Paul S - Southend are relegated.
                                              Thanks. It's been coming a long time but it still hurts and I still can't quite believe the club I supported as a boy are now non-league. I know the club is still there and we have lived through a pandemic and I'm glad that all my friends and family are still alive, but dropping out of the football league feels like you're missing out on something.

Comment

Commiserations Paul S

Feel for the Southend fans, and it appears that until Ron Martin goes it's not like you're going to immediately be looking up either. Do you think Phil Brown will stay on? I've always maintained that having that stability of a manager in place is what helped us get straight back up.

Comment

Utter, utter, rubbish yet again. What is the point in having 60% possession and no shots. In 30 years, I can’t remember ever being this frustrated - when we got relegated at least it was obvious we were crap. This team should have been top 3, fairly easily, but the first ten and last ten games have been relegation form and the lack of any forward invention is really disturbing for any possible play off campaign.

Congrats to the other clubs shafted by PPG last season - Hearts, Thistle and Peterborough, I’m not hopeful we join that club *puts violin away*

oh, and the icing on the cake is if we draw Newport in the Play Offs, as seems likely, we can’t have fans in, because they can’t.

Comment

Yes, sympathies Paul. Relegations are rotten.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X