A Barrow-load of laughs - Division 4 2020/21

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Foot of Astaire's View Post
    It was a war of attrition at Vale Park yesterday. Our football and our results have been getting better each week culminating with the midweek win over Cambridge, where for 70 minutes Wanderers played the best footy I've seen them play in 25 years.

Yesterday, both sides struggled on a pudding of a pitch in blustery conditions and the only real bit of quality resulted with the winning goal.

We've probably left it too late to get into the automatic places but Vale are a good reminder of what can happen if you dont make it. Covid curtailed their late run last year. This year they look as though they may go down.
    Better than the Djorkaeff and Okocha years?

Comment

Originally posted by Diable Rouge View Post

Better than the Djorkaeff and Okocha years?
      Yes. They provided moments of brilliance in what was a hard working side, who were effective at breaking up the oppositions rhythm. The long ball tag was ridiculous but as a team they weren't always easy on the eye.

Colin Todd's all conquering side of 1996/97 played a more open, attractive, passing game. Albeit a division lower

Comment

We remain top after an injury time winner following another Ben Tozer throw. God bless that man's arms.

Barrow at home on Tuesday and a win will put us 4 points clear as it's one of our games in hand over Cambridge and Ecotricity FC aren't playing.

Comment

OK, we get it, no one wants to get promoted this year.

Leaders Cheltenham lost 2-0 at home to Barrow, great news for Southend and Grimsby that one.

And Newport took full advantage of Cheltenham's slip, by losing 2-1 to the equally inept Port Vale.

tch.

EDIT and everyone else drew!
          Last edited by jwdd27; 16-03-2021, 21:26.

Comment

Carlisle are in the draw gang tonight but we're happy enough with that, away from home with a goalie playing his first League game for us (and he's still not in double figures for his career) and a 16 year old youth team goalie on the bench.

Incredible result for Barrow.

Comment

Originally posted by jwdd27 View Post
              OK, we get it, no one wants to get promoted this year.

Leaders Cheltenham lost 2-0 at home to Barrow, great news for Southend and Grimsby that one.

And Newport took full advantage of Cheltenham's slip, by losing 2-1 to the equally inept Port Vale.

tch.

EDIT and everyone else drew!
              We do want promotion - we just seem to struggle against teams in the bottom 3rd. Of our 9 defeats, 6 have been against teams in that area of the table. Fortunately we play Salford on Saturday so should get back to winning ways.

Barrow have done the double over us this season, and fully deserved all 6 points. On the other hand, of the teams in the top 10 we've played twice already, the only team we haven't beaten was Bolton.

Comment

Barrow have really picked up under caretaker Rob Kelly.

Comment

Originally posted by Simon G View Post
                  . On the other hand, of the teams in the top 10 we've played twice already, the only team we haven't beaten was Bolton.
                  To confirm your theory though, we were in the bottom 3rd at the time of at least one of those games. Barrow and Vales victories this evening does not bode well for Geimsby and Southend. They're almost cut adrift now.

Comment

That's right, Bolton were 16th the day before they beat us 1-0 at Whaddon Road with the last kick of the game.

We just can't seem to get up for games against the bottom teams - it seems the players seem to think they only have to turn up. What's frustrating is that on paper we have the "easiest" run-in. I think we'll go up, and I'm even quite confident it'll be as champions, but we need to learn to up the game against the likes of Colchester and Grimsby to make that happen.

Comment

It's getting tight at the top. Wins for Cheltenham, Cambridge, Morecambe, Tranmere and Bolton. The latter two both on a run of good form. Nugent stepping in for the injured Vaughan for Rovers, Bolton once again dominating possession but quite lucky to win against a combative Walsall side.

I'm a total pessimist where we're concerned and the last 10 years give me good reason but even I'll be shocked if we dont make the play offs now. I'd have snatched your arm off for that as recently as early February.

Comment

I said we'd win today - we were playing a team near the top. We won quite convincingly as well. Now a 4 point gap to 4th. The playoffs are pretty much nailed on but, after our last 3 attempts in the playoffs, I really want to avoid them this season.

Comment

At the bottom, 10 man Scunny broke Southend hearts with a last minute equaliser, which maintained an 11 point gap between the teams, while Barrow twisted the dagger with a win in the last minute to move out of the bottom 3. Looking grim for the bottom 2, Southend 7 points adrift and Grimsby 10.

Comment

It really is hard to see past the bottom 2 going down now.

Comment

I can relax a bit now, having beaten FGR yesterday we are now safe from relegation.

Comment

Really odd game at Colchester tonight. We were all over them for half an hour, missed a sitter, then the U’s took the lead through a bizarre but avoidable goal. Then they missed an even bigger sitter moments later. Then we hit the post.
                                second half Colchester came out and dominated, scored but with other chances created should have been 4 up really.
                                Lucky penalty for one back, and equalised shortly after. Back on top from there, and Nya Kirby hit the post when easier to score in injury time. Palace rate him but I’ve not seen any evidence as to why yet.

Without Vaughan I think it’s Play Offs for us, especially with the top 3 still to play. Bolton should make it up on current form. Big game for them on Saturday.

Comment

We might have measued their coffin already, but Grimsby have made it a bit more interesting for a bit longer by beating Barrow, and Southend also got a point to narrow the gap.
                                  Colchester are potentially sleepwalking into the relegation battle, for me Clive.

Scunthorpe rode their luck and made Bradford pay for poor finishing, 2-0. We now have a whole 10 days off until Crawley on Good Friday, we were due to play Newport at the weekend, but they have had players called up for the Wales and Malta (!) squads, so they've cried off.

Comment

For Colchester, see also Walsall. They are on a dire run of form and play Grimsby away on Saturday.

Southend and Grimsby still look odds on for the drop, but if Grimsby beat Walsall on Saturday there'll be some squeaky bums next to the M6.

Comment

Exeter have been riding the wave of just getting into the playoffs for a few weeks now but I think last night's defeat has them finally tumbling off the board. Still, mid-table and a Cup run isn't a bad season.

Comment

Something strange has gone on at Oldham, one of the directors has left and one of the sponsors has demanded they remove their name from the shirts and remove the advertising hoardings.

Comment

Very good day for the top two, as they each beat sides in play-off spots, Cambridge 2-1 against Morecombe (6th) and Cheltenham spectacularly 4-0 over Tranmere (3rd). Not only that but Bolton (4th in the morning, now 3rd) drew, Forest Green (5th) lost, as did Newport (7th) and Exeter (8th). Cambridge have a seven point cushion now on 4th, admittedly from a game more than most of the teams chasing them. Cheltenham hold a five point advantage on fourth from the same number of games.

Newport’s defeat came despite them having led at one stage. And it was at Barrow, who climb away from the drop zone as a result. That was helped by Grimsby, who were winning for most of the afternoon, conceding a late equaliser at Salford. When the scores were Barrow 0-1 Newport and Salford 0-1 Grimsby, Grimsby were looking at being just three points behind 22nd spot. Instead they end the day seven adrift. 22nd is now Colchester rather than Barrow... those two meet on Monday as well which means both can’t lose.

Comment

From Cambridge’s perspective, today’s win was one of a bunch of games in quick succession against promotion or play-off chasing sides - the next four are Tranmere (a), Exeter (H), Newport (a), Orient (a)... but then the last three games are all against teams 12th or below.

Comment

We were outstanding today - now watch us go to bottom of the table Grimsby on Monday and throw today's win down the drain

Comment

Originally posted by Simon G View Post
                                                We were outstanding today - now watch us go to bottom of the table Grimsby on Monday and throw today's win down the drain
                                                To be honest, don’t think Cheltenham had to get out of second gear we were that disjointed and weak. Lovely 4th goal. Not having a decent back up striker will end up costing us promotion.

Comment

We were poor today. First 15 minutes we passed it around well and Colchester looked nervy. The passing style that Evatts introduced works well when the ball is moved quickly, today it was too pedestrian and the bulk of our possession was shared between the goalkeeper and central defenders. Colchester soon realised we were offering little threat and grew into the game. They deserved their point.

I should be quite chuffed with the results of the 3pm KOs as we finished the day in 3rd but failing to win means we missed a great opportunity to open up a gap with Cambridge and Cheltenham. Mondays games will be pivotal.

I felt for Grimsby today. So close to ending Salfords unbeaten home run and giving themselves a chance of survival that 88th minute equaliser seemed to kill both off.

Comment

Second successive 2-0 win for Carlisle, and now hopes are rising just in time for them to get dashed again.

Things look bleak for Southend - the best I can say is that they were still in it until our second goal, but the energy levels looked low, not least on the saved penalty. Seemed to be a couple of injuries as well.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X