Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jwdd27
    replied
    Bolton overcame Scunny 2-0 in a clash of two in-form teams, although form is a hard thing to find in this league - the table is bonkers, I can't believe Cambridge are still top with 52 points from 31 games, although surely they will be soon swept up by the peloton of teams with games in hand.

Scunny are 16th with 35 points from 28, 10 points off a play off spot, 11 points clear of relegation.

There is a 7 point gap between Colchester in 21st and the bottom 3, but basically anyone from there upwards is still in with a play off shout, and anyone above Scunny could still go up automatically.
    Could.

Leave a comment:

• Simon G
    replied
    Shocking managerial appointments haven't helped in fairness - though I thought Coughlan would be a lot better than he was.

I think Clough will certainly have them challenging next season.

Leave a comment:

• elguapo4
    replied
    Mansfield's comeback has stalled with back to back defeats. I don't think there's any team who've spent so much money to so little reward in recent years.

Leave a comment:

• Simon G
    replied
    An outstanding result for Cheltenham at League leaders Cambridge last night.

We're without 2 of our first-choice back 3 and 2 of our first choice midfield 3, and then our best player (Chris Hussey) went off injured just after half-time, meaning a League debut for one of our first year pros. Said pro (Grant Horton) made a wonderful block in injury time to keep it 1-0.

It was scrappy, we were holding on at the end, but a win is a win and with a couple of players due back Saturday the team can be positive going into the game at Scunthorpe (where we always lose).

Leave a comment:

• Foot of Astaire's
    replied
    Watching iFollow on the laptop this season has been pretty dispiriting to me and a very poor substitute to actually being at the game. Until last night that is. Bolton's game had followed a similar trajectory to most this season, some glimpses of promise with the odd calamity. I got up to start the tea at 0-2 down. Shouts from the living room had me running back and forth until a glorious late winner from local lad Arthur Gnouha made the tea an irrelevance.

The last time we came back to win an away game from 2 goals down Youri Djorkaeff was on the scoresheet.

Leave a comment:

• jwdd27
    replied
    In fairness to Scunny, at kick off the pitch was totally clear of snow, the snowstorm started as soon as they kicked off, and as the video shows it was settling to a degree that they couldn't see the line markings. They were just unlucky.

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    I believe that the answer to that depends on the rules of the league in question

Leave a comment:

• Satchmo Distel
    replied
    Is the ref allowed to call a game off based on a forecast rather than the state of the pitch at that point? I could understand it being called off on police advice if roads are going to be unsafe but that's a separate issue.

Leave a comment:

• Walt Flanagans Dog
    replied
    Originally posted by jwdd27 View Post
    I was amazed they were planning on playing it given the conditions and the forecast.
    There seemed to be a lot of over-optimism around yesterday. As described above we moved our home game to 2.30pm in the expectation we'd be able to get it played, only to call it off on the day. Barrow had theirs called off less than an hour before kick off and Blackpool's looked like it was during the warm up. Our manager made a lot in the press conference of the forecast being minus 3 for Monday night and it turning out to be minus 7 in Carlisle, so maybe some places just got hit worse than expected. Suspect our game would have been called off anyway even if it had been "only" minus 3 though.

Leave a comment:

• jwdd27
    replied
    I was amazed they were planning on playing it given the conditions and the forecast.

Leave a comment:

• Walt Flanagans Dog
    replied
    Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
    Scunthorpe v Bradford abandoned after half an hour of a snowstorm.
    https://twitter.com/AscensoInglesok/status/1359228713695608832?s=19

Leave a comment:

• Satchmo Distel
    replied
    Scunthorpe v Bradford abandoned after half an hour of a snowstorm.

Leave a comment:

• Third rate Leszno
    replied
    Not forecast to get much above zero all week - can see Saturday's game with Crawley also being off now. We are almost at the point where we have no more free midweek dates between now and May 8th in which we can rearrange fixtures, after which it'll be the Saturday/Tuesday/Thursday/Saturday routine.

Leave a comment:

• Satchmo Distel
    replied
    Try again tomorrow or even Thursday?

Leave a comment:

• Walt Flanagans Dog
    replied
    Now off, inevitably.

Leave a comment:

• Walt Flanagans Dog
    replied
    Tomorrow's Carlisle v Orient game to kick off at 2. (TWO) 30pm.

I think in more normal times we would gambled on it but we can't cope with another postponement given our schedule. Anyone thinking of arranging a Teams call tomorrow afternoon might find I have "connectivity issues".

Leave a comment:

• Walt Flanagans Dog
    replied
    Carlisle blow one of their games in hand, the important one as well - losing 2-1 at home to Forest Green. First half quite tight, game exploded into life with the three goals coming in fairly quick succession leaving Forest Green 2-1 up and with a free hand to shithouse their way to the final whistle while we tried to find an alternative plan based on bringing on more wingers and giving up the centre of the park. That's two tight games Forest Green have won against us and I'd back them to go up based on those two games.

We've got another week off now which even after the recent hiatus is probably beneficial, we had a few hobbling around tonight towards the end.

Leave a comment:

• jwdd27
    replied
    Originally posted by ingoldale View Post
    We signed quite a few new players yesterday and last week. 7 or 8 in total in every area of the field. We knew Hurst wasn't impressed with the squad he inherited from Holloway but I didn't think he was that unimpressed. It's pleasing that he has been able to bring so many in given out current league position - it says more about the coach than the club I feel.
    Eastwood was extremely good in goal for Scunny and Hurst in the first half of last season, but Sheffield recalled him when 2 of the 3 goalkeepers ahead of him got injured. He still seems to be their 4th choice, so hope he does well, he'll certainly be busy.

Leave a comment:

• ingoldale
    replied
    We signed quite a few new players yesterday and last week. 7 or 8 in total in every area of the field. We knew Hurst wasn't impressed with the squad he inherited from Holloway but I didn't think he was that unimpressed. It's pleasing that he has been able to bring so many in given out current league position - it says more about the coach than the club I feel.

Leave a comment:

• Simon G
    replied
    So I see - our first positive tests of the season. Not that that is something to crow about.

Leave a comment:

• Walt Flanagans Dog
    replied
    Originally posted by Simon G View Post
    We have you next Saturday.
    Oh no you don't.

Leave a comment:

• tee rex
    replied
    Catching Exeter unawares by playing the game after all, that's a low blow.

I would happily give up on our season but the table is so squashed that almost anybody who manages a win can start to hope again. (But not poor old Southend, that really is a shitshow. And they almost beat us).

Leave a comment:

• Gangster Octopus
    replied
    My soft spot for Carlisle started when watching MOTD in a farmhouse in Eskdale* the day they went top of the league.

*Actually it was Miterdale, but no-one's heard of that...
    Last edited by Gangster Octopus; 31-01-2021, 17:51. Reason: Just to explain that the farmhouse wasn't a generic one, but in a relevant place.

Leave a comment:

• Simon G
    replied
    We have you next Saturday, which I'm really looking forward to. A lad I was in school with followed Carlisle, which is very odd growing up in Churchdown. He went to Wembley for the Auto Windscreens shield when they wore the deckchair kit and I've had a bit of a soft spot for them since.

Leave a comment:

• Walt Flanagans Dog
    replied
    Originally posted by Simon G View Post
    0-0 in the, urgh, Gloucestershire derby at the New Lawn.

By all accounts the game was a shite as the weather.

Barrow at home on Tuesday for Cheltenham
    We've got FGR at home so we'll swap if you want.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X