X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Artificial Hipster
    replied
    Originally posted by Fearful Symmetry View Post
    On a side note, it was a tad upsetting to see former legend and Ginger Jesus Paul McShane surrounded by inadequate clodhoppers and a team ethic that doesn't just court mediocrity, but has several children by it. If Rochdale don't get relegated then my arse is a fire engine.
    Ha! I don't think you'd find too much disagreement with that in Rochdale. I'm too far removed to be able to cite all the causes for our decline (I went to Old Trafford last season and watched our cup games on TV but haven't seen a league game for a couple of seasons) but a lot of it has to do with our insane refusal to let go of the belief that if we keep trying to play like Manchester City we will eventually become Manchester City. We scored a goal against Southend early last season which went viral - 46 passes or something like that preceded the ultimate cross and sliding finish. The first 30 or so of those passes were played across our back line and Southend, it should be remembered, managed a grand total of 4 victories all season. The following week against Peterborough we 'enjoyed' something like 60% possession. And lost 6-0. We didn't learn. We still haven't learnt.

Pep Guardiola has got an awful lot to answer for.

Leave a comment:

• Fearful Symmetry
    replied
    Dull, routine and largely forgettable. But by Christ, we could have done with a few more home games being like that this season.

On a side note, it was a tad upsetting to see former legend and Ginger Jesus Paul McShane surrounded by inadequate clodhoppers and a team ethic that doesn't just court mediocrity, but has several children by it. If Rochdale don't get relegated then my arse is a fire engine.

Leave a comment:

• DCI Harry Batt
    replied
    Originally posted by NickSTFU View Post

Were you around in the mid-80s?

You beat us 2-1 in your first season in the old 2nd Division.

I think that's it though.
    Johnny come lately, me, turned up when we got into the first division.

Leave a comment:

• Ray de Galles
    replied
    Bostock has to be the youngest OIHSP? ever.

Leave a comment:

• Uros Predic
    replied
    Big win for us tonight to halt a four game winless run, get the new manager off on the right foot, and put ourselves right back in the mix with at least two games in hand on everyone above us.

I wasn't going to watch tonight as I was still feeling a bit 'ah, what's the point?' after Darren Moore's departure, but then Coppinger was in the starting line-up so I deemed that worth a tenner. And I wasn't wrong. Vintage Copps, alongside John Bostock, Matt Smith and Josh Simms in midfield was a real joy to watch for the first hour.

Leave a comment:

• Ray de Galles
    replied
    Good to see Wimbledon get a late equaliser (that seemed merited from the reports I've seen) especially as it came from an academy graduate on his league debut.

What on earth is going on at Burton? Has the amazing surge in form entirely coincided with Hasselbaink's arrival?
    Last edited by Ray de Galles; 02-03-2021, 21:11.

Leave a comment:

• RobW
    replied
    Well that was largely shit. Fleetwood fully deserve their win, they had 4 shots on target at HT to our none, dominated possession and looked a constant threat. The second goal was just so easy, they carved through our midfield and defence. Only high point was Callum Morton coming on for his first game in about six months and showing the kind of composure that has departed everyone else. Our next best chances after that was a weak shot from Morgan Rogers from 25 yards (honestly think he should be dropped) and a header from our keeper in the 94th minute.

Regardless of the key injuries and the tiredness, that was really poor and I hope there's not a sense of players feeling sorry for themselves. Lack of leadership is obvious to me.

Leave a comment:

• Patrick Thistle
    replied
    Obviously disappointed that Salop dropped points but I don't mind sharing them with the real Dons.

Leave a comment:

• NickSTFU
    replied
    Originally posted by TonTon View Post
    I don't think we've ever won at the Shrews in all the time I've been a Don.
    Were you around in the mid-80s?

You beat us 2-1 in your first season in the old 2nd Division.

I think that's it though.
    Last edited by NickSTFU; 02-03-2021, 20:02.

Leave a comment:

• DCI Harry Batt
    replied
    I don't think we've ever won at the Shrews in all the time I've been a Don.

Leave a comment:

• RobW
    replied
    Fortunately, Adam Jackson is fit enough to start tonight, and even better, Callum Morton is fit enough for the bench, giving some attacking options.

Oh, Jackson passed himself fit. Christ, this could be a risk.
    Last edited by RobW; 02-03-2021, 18:59.

Leave a comment:

• Patrick Thistle
    replied
    It sometimes gets referenced in the build up

Leave a comment:

• Jobi1
    replied
    Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
    Barton got the new manager bounce at Bristol Rovers and Salop lost without registering a single shot, on or off target.

I had been the this fixture for the past 4 seasons and missing this game today really made me miss going to the football.
    Do they still do the Weetabix thing at that fixture?

Leave a comment:

• DCI Harry Batt
    replied
    We need something from our game at Shrews tonight.

Leave a comment:

• RobW
    replied
    Another full night of League One fixtures ahead, and Lincoln have more injury woes. Jorge Grant limped off on Saturday, going over on his ankles and seems to be out for a long time if Michael Appleton's pre-match interview was anything to go by. Also lost centre half Adam Jackson (calf) and Remy Howarth (christ knows how, he didn't play on Saturday), and new signing Max Sanders hasn't featured from the bench in recent games because he's carrying a tight hamstring.

So, likely that TJ Eyoma will slot into centre back alongside Montsma tonight. Edun started on Saturday and MA has been rotating his full backs, so wouldn't be surprised if Bramall plays. Edun can of course play midfield, but I suspect James Jones will come in for Grant, if Sanders cannot be risked.

I just wonder if it might be worth putting Brennan Johnson alongside Tom Hopper rather than in the hole, or play him out on the flank in place of Morgan Rogers, and bringing the latter on off the bench as an option. Johnson and Morgan are exceptional players going forward and can turn a game, but given our recent dismal results, i'd be tempted to drop one of them and offer Edun or whoever is at LB some support in defence, and play four across the middle with Scully on the right and Archibald on the left.

No doubt we'll play 4-3-3 and concede at least one goal within 10 minutes.

Leave a comment:

• Patrick Thistle
    replied
    16th was nice while it lasted.

Leave a comment:

• Patrick Thistle
    replied
    On another note Salop are back in 17th. Which is beginning to feel like home.

Leave a comment:

• Patrick Thistle
    replied
    Originally posted by NickSTFU View Post

We scored, and the Rovers sub 'keeper prevented a certain (and totally undeserved) equaliser with a reflex save. This was after the starting 'keeper was injured making another point-blank save.

Would be interested where you got those stats from.
    An obviously inaccurate screengrab shared on Facebook. Serves me right.

Edit - a half time stats screengrab that I only saw after full time and thought it was that. Bloody Facebook anachronistic algorithms.
    Last edited by Patrick Thistle; 28-02-2021, 13:27.

Leave a comment:

• Fearful Symmetry
    replied
    Originally posted by TonTon View Post
    I thought the game yesterday was kinda weird tbh. Hull obviously clearly the better side, no doubt at all. But the goals were...well, the goals were...I'm not sure quite what the word is. Two soft penalties separated by a gift.
    I would have been quite miffed if that first penalty had been given against us, to be fair. Potter is 8 stone dripping wet, and it doesn't take much to make him fall over.

Leave a comment:

• NickSTFU
    replied
    Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
    Barton got the new manager bounce at Bristol Rovers and Salop lost without registering a single shot, on or off target.
    We scored, and the Rovers sub 'keeper prevented a certain (and totally undeserved) equaliser with a reflex save. This was after the starting 'keeper was injured making another point-blank save.

Would be interested where you got those stats from.

Leave a comment:

• Greenlander
    replied
    That game yesterday was the best lockdown one yet. Oh to have been there with a decent crowd in.

Leave a comment:

• DCI Harry Batt
    replied
    I thought the game yesterday was kinda weird tbh. Hull obviously clearly the better side, no doubt at all. But the goals were...well, the goals were...I'm not sure quite what the word is. Two soft penalties separated by a gift.

Leave a comment:

• Patrick Thistle
    replied

I had been the this fixture for the past 4 seasons and missing this game today really made me miss going to the football.

Leave a comment:

• Fearful Symmetry
    replied
    I wish we could play like that more often, although I expected a harder game than that today. Wilks being a twat over the second penalty seems to have been forgotten about already, but he needs to be careful squaring up to Lewie Coyle, given the family trait of punching people for a living.

Leave a comment:

• RobW
    replied
    Absolutely fuming at that. City came out second half playing brilliantly. Johnson and Scully linked up, we got not one but two penalties (the second I though was soft, but this ref has now given us I think four pens in the last three games he's been in charge of us) and then 3-2 up we stopped playing, possibly ran out of steam and let Mayor get on the ball again. Tom Hopper missed a great chance to make it 4-2 and put the game to bed, then Johnson failed again in a one v one with the keeper. Our defence has capitulated with Montsma and Edun guilty of not showing any discipline but bombing forward with no regard for space left behind them, and we've been caught out in injury time by a woeful pass from Jones towards Edun and the latter being out fought by two Argyle players.

If we can learn to stop conceding goals inside the first 10 minutes it would be nice.

Can't put it all down to missing Liam Bridcutt, cos we went without him before Xmas and did ok, but I guess there's a lack of leadership and experience out there.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X