Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TonTon View Post

New one on me, I had to go look it up.
    A long time favourite of former Sky rugby league summariser Mike 'Stevo' Stevenson. Along with other pearls of wisdom such as 'second stanzer' (second half) 'into the sheds for half time oranges' and 'up the jumper time'.

Comment

Ipswich at home tonight, then.

Comment

An opportunity to give your goalkeeper a night off.

Comment

Things are becoming simplified now. Thanks to Wigan, if Sunderland fail to win at Blackpool on Saturday and we beat Fleetwood, then we can win promotion next Tuesday..............by beating Sunderland at home.

Comment

Always good to win, always good to win 4-0, and absolutely fucking marvelous to beat Franchise scum. The first half was unforgettable, MK dominating possession and seemingly trying to bore the Imps into making mistakes. Three or four times MK lost possession in dangerous positions but City lacked composure. Fortunate too that having just been booked for kicking the ball away, Bob Madley decided not to give Brennan Johnson another yellow card for a poor tackle. City pressed better second half whilst MK still fucked about at the back, and twice they were punished with Johnson firing in (the first after a lovely ball by Morgan Rogers). Johnson bagged his hat trick from the penalty spot (had to retake it as Scully encroached), to be the first City player since Lee Angol just over 4 years ago to score three in one match (I was there, fact fans, away at Braintree). A comical fourth was most welcome with Bramall's free kick I think rebounding off the keeper's back as he pushed it onto the post.
            Delighted to see results go our way tonight and that will do the players confidence a world of good.

Comment

Originally posted by RobW View Post
              Always... absolutely fucking marvelous to beat Franchise scum.
              Isn't it just.

Comment

Well now. Two wins in s row. It's been a long time.

Comment

Not so sad given it assists Wimbledon. Also better for us to have the new owners see what a shabby squad this really is rather than scrape into a play-off place we have never deserved. Downside is this season could see two pretty "big" clubs come down into League One, making it even harder to get out of next season.

Comment

Making it more fun in this division. That's how I see it. It's good when big teams come down.

Comment

(I saw your manager's interview. He seemed a bit cross)

Comment

Oh yeah, stand by for the Massive club from the Steel City coming to your towns. Your grounds won't be adequate enough for the hordes of fans they'll bring.

Comment

I know Wednesday are in trouble but who are the other "big" club that might come down? I've not felt confident enough in Wimbledon staying in D3 to ponder who might be joining it from either direction.

Comment

11 May 2002: Liverpool 5-0 Ipswich, Premier League. Ipswich are relegated.
                            28 May 2002: The FA allows the establishment of the Milton Keynes franchise.

Since then Wimbledon have risen six divisions, Ipswich have gone down one more, and when their paths crossed, Wimbledon handed out that spanking last night. It's been pretty grim.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
                              I know Wednesday are in trouble but who are the other "big" club that might come down? I've not felt confident enough in Wimbledon staying in D3 to ponder who might be joining it from either direction.
                              Derby are not out of the woods yet, and not in great form either.

Comment

We've really not played Ipswich many times at all, over the years. Eleven, I make it. Nine league games - six in the Prem and three in the third. And two ZDS games.

And last night is the first time we've ever beaten them, I think.

Comment

Confirmed, it is the first time we've beaten Ipswich.

(Some online databases attribute a game Ipswich lost to the franchise in 2003 to Wimbledon, erroneously.)
                                  Last edited by DCI Harry Batt; 14-04-2021, 11:37.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin S View Post

Derby are not out of the woods yet, and not in great form either.
                                    Yes, I spotted their position when I looked at the table in more detail and also registered Rotherham's relatively better form and games in hand.

Ipswich's kit looked lovely on the highlights last night, recoloured badge aside obviously.

Wimbledon again getting better results when I am distracted by being at another game if I can't be at theirs, I'm claiming credit.
                                    Last edited by Ray de Galles; 15-04-2021, 06:06.

Comment

I deliberately quoted "big". Derby was the one (Birmingham seem safe-ish). Rotherham though have League One down pat. If they go down they may well bounce straight back up. It's the next stage that causes them problems (with COVID assistance this time too). No disrespect to any club of course and you may well see a promoted club go well next season.

The key point for me, is that after all the complaining the club's plight was the fault of McCarthy/Hurst/Lambert and Marcus Evans it needs to sink in that the players are simply not good enough.

Comment

Originally posted by Fearful Symmetry View Post
                                        Oh yeah, stand by for the Massive club from the Steel City coming to your towns. Your grounds won't be adequate enough for the hordes of fans they'll bring.
                                        Wednesday fans broke Spotland last time they played in the 3rd tier. We've got a cunning plan to avoid them this time round though..

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Ethan View Post
                                          I deliberately quoted "big". Derby was the one (Birmingham seem safe-ish). Rotherham though have League One down pat. If they go down they may well bounce straight back up. It's the next stage that causes them problems (with COVID assistance this time too). No disrespect to any club of course and you may well see a promoted club go well next season.

The key point for me, is that after all the complaining the club's plight was the fault of McCarthy/Hurst/Lambert and Marcus Evans it needs to sink in that the players are simply not good enough.
                                          Having never finished higher than 17th in the 3rd tier, I doubt it will be us - if we do make it. Bolton on the other hand.

Comment

Right now, I'd snatch your hand off to finish 20th in league 1 next year

Comment

Confirmed, it is the first time we've beaten Ipswich.

(Some online databases attribute a game Ipswich lost to the franchise in 2003 to Wimbledon, erroneously.)
                                              It depends on what version of history you follow as a Wimbledon fan. Town definitely lost to Wimbledon (5-1 ) in their final home game of 2002/03. We did play Wimbledon at the National Hockey Stadium the following season. Wimbledon went down at the end of that season and our first game with MK Dons came in the League Cup in 2007/08. However, I can appreciate that you might consider that 5-1 win and the 2003/04 games as being Ipswich vs “Wimbledon” once they played under that name at the Hockey Stadium. Did that happen during 2002/03? George Burley’s last win as Ipswich manager came at Selhurst Park against Wimbledon in October 2002.

Comment

As of the summer of 2002, Wimbledon were non-league. There was a lump of ordure infesting the place who obviously beat Ipswich, but they were not Wimbledon.

Comment

Yeah as I said:

Wimbledon played in the second division is 2001-02 and in the Combined Counties League in 2002-03. The franchise used a false name for a bit, but that's nothing to do with Wimbledon.

Comment

(I saw your manager's interview. He seemed a bit cross)
                                                    A couple of days on, he's still not very happy:

For me to renew players’ contracts and keep people at the club, I’ve got to trust them. At all my teams historically I have had 10, 12, 15 players at every club that I trust. I don’t have that at Ipswich Town

We don’t put crosses in the box, we don’t create chances, we don’t defend well, we don’t defend set pieces well, we don’t retain possession of the ball, we’re not very fit, we’re not very athletic. You can write a list of what we’re not really good at.

This is going to be a very unhappy club over the next two or three weeks because the changes are coming.

Our players are very, very aware of my feelings. If the whole squad didn’t want to come back from Wimbledon the other night, it wouldn’t have bothered me.
                                                    He seemed so happy when he arrived at the start of last month, too. It doesn't take long for Ipswich Town to bring you down.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X