No announcement yet.

Peterborough United: 'Season of Vengeance' - Div 3 2020-21

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, after another round of matches, Salop are still 17th. Burton are only 2 points behind them now though.

Comment

"them"? Not "us"?

Comment

I find the "we", "us" thing a bit weird the more I think about it. I support them. They are in 17th. "We" aren't in 17th because I don't play for them.

Sometimes I slip up and say "we".

Comment

Football results are irregular pronouns.

We won

It was a draw

They lost

Comment

Tee hee hee...

Comment

Important distinctions there SB

Comment

Still bitterly angry at the Lincoln performance yesterday and will be for some time. Needed a response after the disappointment of the second half against Ipswich and we made Rochdale look like promotion candidates and not a side that hadn't scored for over 700 minutes. Without Alex Palmer's heroics it could have been 3 or 4 zero at half time. Dale were denied a stonewall penalty too after the break right before Morgan Rogers scored another magnificent solo effort. The fact that he has that ability to make something out of nothing makes it all the more strange he was subbed later - yes, he doesn't offer much cover and drifts in and out of games, but we needed a miracle once Rochdale retook the lead. Our defence was dreadful and couldn't handle long throws or corners, whilst our own set pieces were largely weak. Only a couple of outfield players can hold their heads high. We have Gillingham next at home and can imagine Steve Evans watching us and licking his lips (itself a horrible thought) at our weak defending.
                Automatic promotion is now out of the question I think, and we just have to cement a play off place and get some belief back. Liam Bridcutt was on the bench last night, so hopefully will start on Tuesday. Can see us getting thrashed by Sunderland next weekend.

Comment

6 wins from 10 now required. The return to form and confidence of Keane Lewis Potter couldn't have come at a better time for us. Begrudging tip of the cap to the manager as well, I guess.

The games in hand caveat is definitely attached to my confident musings, but with Peterborough and Donny having to play each other twice and Burton playing some of the teams around us before the seasons end, we're definitely in a position to keep hitting the ball into everyone else's court and seeing if they're good enough to hit it back.

Comment

The messed up season being what it is, Hull might only have 10 games left but Shrewsbury have 14.

Theoretically if Shrewsbury win their games in hand they could be up around 10th. But I don't think I ever remember a Shrewsbury team capitalising on their games in hand.

Comment

I doubt we (see what I did there?) will move from 17th.

In fact, if we move at all it will be down.

We really don't take advantage when we're on top in games. Yesterday being a case in point, Charlton had a complete meltdown when they went behind. We really should have finished them off.

Comment

Going all in on the "we" there Nick

Comment

That was a remarkable result for Rochdale yesterday. They looked dead and buried and then pull off a shock win like that. The relegation battle in L1 is extremely tight. Jimmy Floyd's 2nd coming has probably dragged Burton out of the equation but it's still any 4 from 6.

Comment

It's not looking great for us, is it?

(Read back - yes, definitely "us", for me Brian)

Comment

Actually in your case it should be "me"...

Comment

Haha.

Comment

We don't care if you only love we
                                  We love you, we love you, and we hope
                                  That you will love we too
                                  We love they, we love they, and
                                  We want you to love they too

We don't care if you hound we and
                                  Love is all around we
                                  Love can't get our minds off
                                  We love you, we love you

You will never win we
                                  Your uniforms don't fit we
                                  We forget the place we're in
                                  'Cause we love you
                                  We love you, of course, we do

Comment

We're kicking off in half an hour. How silly.

Still, a bit of a break next week, as the Rochdale game has been postponed, due to international call-ups.

Comment

Originally posted by Nesta View Post

Love is all around we
                                      We love you, we love you

You will never win we
                                      'Cause we love you
                                      I am six months older than this song. I didn't recognise it from the words. Though it sounds vaguely familiar, now I listen to it.

Comment

Imps lining up 4-4-2 under Michael Appleton for the first time I think. Bridcutt is at least back in the side, with Rogers and Johnson pushed out wide and Morton and Hopper starting up top. Disappointed that Eyoma isn't at RB given how poorly Poole played at the weekend. Steve Evans presumably smells blood given our debacle at the weekend and fields both former Imps, Oliver and Akinde from the off tonight. He's already spouted bullshit claiming that we have one of the biggest budgets in the league and my pessimism is such that I can see crooked bastard celebrating at full time already.

Comment

Originally posted by Nesta View Post

Love is all around we
                                          We love you, we love you

You will never win we
                                          'Cause we love you
                                          I was amazed nobody covered this in the late eighties/early nineties baggy/rave era as it already sounded like something from that time. I'm sure it would have been a big hit,

Comment

Absolutely fucking awful to watch. City started brightly, couple of dangerous balls in the box but in their first attack from a long throw in that Lincoln fail to clear Oliver scores a free header from 3 yards out. That's swiftly followed by another direct ball, Oliver flicking on and Dempsey(?) running from midfield to tuck away for 2-0.
                                            We're not playing 4-4-2 as I can make out - both Johnson and especially Rogers seem to be playing inside whilst Tom Hopper has barely touched the ball. Regan Poole has found a lot of space from RB but his deliveries are largely piss poor and Gillingham should be 3-0 up for sure. Johnson had one good run for City towards the end but rather than look up and see Hopper make a run to the near post just kept hold of the ball and cut it back to nobody. We've yet to have a shot on target and are relying on scoring wonder goals from 20 yards again.
                                            Absolutely no way that i'm paying ?10 to watch this shower get thrashed by Sunderland on Saturday.

Comment

^ What is it with Lincoln? Just running out of steam, were over achieving earlier or tactical changes?

Comment

It's a mixture of having a lot of players out injured, a small squad and lack of options amongst other things. Bridcutt, Grant, Walsh, Anderson, Howarth, Archibald, Morton and recent purchase Sanders have all been out at the same time, with Morton missing for six months.
                                                Of those, Bridcutt, Walsh and Grant are the most telling absentees, with Bridcutt only just returning. Together with playing Tuesday and Saturday virtually every week and a Papa John's Trophy run to the semis, I think it has caught up with some of the players and they are mentally and physically fatigued.
                                                Some of the squad were missing either via injury of Covid in January and haven't been as good as they were earlier in the season, in particular Lewis Montsma at centre and James
                                                Jones in the middle. At the start of the season, when he was scoring virtually every week, fans were all screaming that Montsma was so good, he'd be our first ?1m pound player - his form has dropped dramatically recently.

The lack of a plan B is also telling. We've been playing 4-3-3 all season or if we need a change occasionally playing Brennan Johnson behind Tom Hopper as an alternative. Morton's absence meant that we didn't have an out and out striker to replace Hopper.
                                                I think clubs have cottoned on about how to play against us, and roughed us up when necessary. Our defence has just been shocking in recent weeks with Walsh's absence. Without Grant, we're lacking a playmaker, someone who can effortlessly pick a 40 yard pass or control the midfield. Our passing has been poor, with players trying to rush things, hit elaborate Hollywood balls rather than keeping things simple and retaining possession.
                                                The lads signed in January have looked poor as well. TJ Eyoma is our best RB but he's on loan from Spurs and Michael Appleton signed Regan Poole permanently as he said he didn't want to rely on loan players next season. I can understand why you'd want to signed full backs and rest Eyoma and Tayo Edun a little given how much they've played, but Poole hasn't convinced me and Bramall, who we signed from Colchester is full of pace but little else to convince me that he's going to get better. Max Sanders has barely featured at all, think he had a hamstring injury after his first appearance and is struggling with something else now, which doesn't bode well. Confidence is shot, and after months of wishing I was seeing these lads play, i'm now relieved that they don't have to put up with listening to home fans boo them off.

I'd also add the fact that we've got a largely youthful squad and the absence of Bridcutt, Grant and Walsh does mean that there is a lack of experience out there, and leadership. Only got ourselves to blame for that, that's what Appleton wanted. Shouldn't kid ourselves either. We are still exceeding all expectations this season, but we have to stop the rot quickly or we'll miss out on the play offs all together.
                                                Last edited by RobW; 17-03-2021, 08:33.

Comment

I was surprised Shrewsbury didn't play last night, given how they have played fewer games than anyone else bar Blackpool. Burton are now breathing down Salopian necks for that coveted 17th spot.

Comment

Just watching MA's post match interview again. Not bothered about how we conceded the early goals cos we're not going to playing against teams like Gillingham every week (well we are playing against Charlie Wyke on Saturday and he'll bloody love all the crosses in the box we won't defend) Suggests how much we improved from Saturday, creating multiple chances - keeper had one meaningful save to make, and there was one shot which was deflected just wide (keeper would have claimed it easy). No good getting in the opposition's box when you don't do anything. I know he's gotta to remain upbeat but he's frankly delusional. "I'm not counting the penalty, because if that's a pen, there was two on Brennan Johnson in first half" - no Michael, one was a blatant hand on the back and Johnson's a serial diver that Steve Evans made a point of pre-match (Johnson did get booked for what I assume was simulation in second half).

Comment

Working...
                                                    X