Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NickSTFU View Post

That's interesting. For a fanzine?

I do remember him being totally honest about the situation the he and the Club were in.

I could be wrong, but he never promised anything daft about play-offs or anything like that.
    It was for a short-lived fanzine with ideas above its station that sadly misjudged the market for politically-committed, satirically-minded, self-mocking screed with literary pretensions in late '90s Salop. He was completely honest, to the point that when I sent him the draft of the article, he rang me, politely praised the writing and asked me please not to publish half the stuff he'd told me because it would really get him into trouble. Because I liked him, I edited it to blur his candour, but he needn't have worried because no-one read it.

He was very proud of having got two centre-forwards for ?60k. TBF, Steele and Kerrigan were decent players, but were never going to score hatfuls in that team.

Comment

Which fanzine was that Chris. My dad had loads when I went through his stuff including some zines I'd never heard of.

Comment

Salop have announced Steve Cotterill as manager.

Bit of a departure from the recent formula. Three and a half year deal apparently.

Comment

After about the 4th time of trying (I could be exaggerating here), Wycherley has finally got his man.

I watched his first interview last night. He didn't half waffle on.

My Birmingham City supporting brother-in-law sent me a text to say we're going down.

Probably a good shout.

Comment

Cotterill has never failed in a job below the Championship - admittedly he's only managed 3 teams at League One or below, but they include all of his promotion wins. 3 with Cheltenham, 1 with Notts County and 1 with Bristol City. His ability to get players to play better than themselves works really well at League One level and below. It's when you need more than that he starts to struggle. That being said, Birmingham aside, he never really failed anywhere else. He did ok at Burnley, if not spectacular, he wasn't at Stoke long enough and he was on a hiding to nothing at both Forest and Portsmouth.

He'll do a decent job at Shrewsbury, it won't necessarily be pretty (See Stephen Foster's fantastic "She Stood There Laughing" to read about Cotterball), but he'll get everyone on side and the club moving forward.

Naturally, as he's Cheltenham's greatest son, I hope he succeeds. Without him I'm certain I'd never have seen Cheltenham play in the Football League, let alone winning at Wembley and the Millennium Stadium.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
              Which fanzine was that Chris. My dad had loads when I went through his stuff including some zines I'd never heard of.
              Three Lions. I sincerely hope there are no extant copies.

Re: Cotterill, assuming he hasn't lost it in the 2 1/2 years he's been out of the game, he is the sort of manager who might get us out of trouble, but it is going to be grim stuff either way I fear.

Comment

Yes there were copies of that in Dad's haul. They may well end up in a fanzine archive in Chicago because I sent them all to danielmak

Comment

Former Imps captain and manager, Steve Thompson has found himself in hot water following comments he made as a Radio Lincolnshire summariser during the Imps win at Swindon.

Come to think of it, was he on duty against Swindon on Tuesday night? Sure it was Hortin and Makepeace.

He's been suspended from duty until the New Year.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/footb...mpson-23082063

I think this story was first reported by The Sun, and then picked up the Mail so they could have a good bashing at the Beeb. It's not the first time he's used, shall we say, 'old-fashioned' language whilst on commentary, and frankly i'm quite relieved not to hear him. Would much prefer to listen to Mark Hone. IIRC he's been pretty sexist on social media, moaning about female pundits on MOTD, so he can piss off as far as i'm concerned. Naturally, Radio Lincolnshire Sport's Facebook page has erupted into blind fury at this suspension.

Comment

He'd had a written warning in 2018 so can't claim to be unaware that he was being offensive.

Comment

Bit on Paul Lambert and Ipswich from the Grauniad this morning https://www.theguardian.com/football...-rapid-decline

Comment

Well, I kinda knew we'd make it difficult for ourselves against Wigan, maybe scrape a 1-0 win like last week against Swindon or something. Really piss poor for large parts of first half, once again having plenty of possession but either playing safe and retaining the ball for the sake of it or over complicating and having too many touches. Don't think we troubled the keeper at all, though Brennan Johnson should have done better before HT and Jones hit a cracker of a shot just wide from range. Neysmith for Wigan looked their biggest threat and they put in a few crosses that we had to deal with. Second half they get a break away goal with Neysmith's shot taking a wicked deflection and I was struggling to see how we'd get back from that.
                        Fair play to Michael Appleton, he changed the formation, stuck Johnson in behind Hopper and played four across the middle. It made Anthony Scully see a lot more of the ball for one thing, but our equaliser came from a rather soft free kick, which was expertly put away by Jorge Grant. The winner came via Scully finding Hopper with his back to goal, and it was good to see use his strength to make space for the shot and stick it in under the keeper. He's only got 4 this season, but his workrate is magnificent and i'm so chuffed that a) he's scored and b) we've managed a goal from open play in the league. Can't remember our last, but seems a long time ago.
                        Up to second for the time being, but this is a very silly league. Rochdale, our next opponents are currently 3-0 up away at Plymouth, so that bodes well for Saturday afternoon.

Comment

Poyet was strongly favoured for Sunderland job (bookies had stopped taking bets) but has apparently ruled himself out.

Comment

Originally posted by RobW View Post
                            Bit on Paul Lambert and Ipswich from the Grauniad this morning https://www.theguardian.com/football...-rapid-decline
                            There is always the danger that you see in other clubs delusions of grandeur, but fail to identify it when engaged yourself. However, at Portman Road it is more like delusions of adequacy. It is easy to say the fans drove away Mick McCarthy and are suffering the consequences without learning from them. However, the appointment of Paul Hurst and then the decision to drop a five year contract on Lambert when it was clear things had done very awry suggest it is those in charge who are getting things wrong, not the supporters.

It has reached the point for many clubs where just continuing to exist is ambition enough. Very sad when that's the case with your own club though. Massive props to the supporters continuing to back the club through thick and thin. Hull and Charlton will take the top two spots so it is a play-off lottery or worse for Town. Hard to believe the good fortune of those of us who started our supporter journey in 1970.

Comment

This is a really tight and interesting division. That high-riding Lincoln barely scraped past last-placed Wigan tells you how tight. "No easy games" etc. Maybe I'm hamstrung by a lifetime of low ambitions, but I'd almost prefer to see Lincoln up there regularly in contention near the top of D3 than being a struggler in the division above. Or maybe I'm just scared of us coming straight back down.

Comment

Originally posted by imp View Post
                                I'd almost prefer to see Lincoln up there regularly in contention near the top of D3 than being a struggler in the division above. Or maybe I'm just scared of us coming straight back down.
                                You get used to it...

Comment

I didn't want to specifically name Rotherham, but your team may well have been in the back of my mind. Still, we could have some memorable relegation derbies.

Comment

Having said that, that's what we thought when we went up six years ago, and it's worked out ok for us.

Comment

Get in! Up yours, MacAntony.

Comment

Break in play Shrews - Accy.

1-1 after a dodgy 1st half and a really quite impressive 2nd (so far). Best player in our back 3 coming off so awaiting the usual late concession. Signs of life, even if it's all to impress the new boss.

Accy look a good side. Tidy with the ball, pace and intelligence at the back, but we're taking it to them.

Comment

Gooooooool!!!!

Comment

Best player in our back 3 coming off so awaiting the usual late concession.
                                            And Aaron Pierre decides the best way to defend a lead is to kick his man up in the air for no purpose I can discern. Accy score from the penalty on the rebound.

I should bet on football.

Comment

Tonight saw Wimbledon’s first win at Plough Lane since 30th March 1991 (3-1 v Nottingham Forest). I must admit I have had a few drinks, and I’m absolutely made up.

Comment

3 more points, and another oppo manager claiming that they were the better team. Ho hum.

Comment

Originally posted by Favourite Worst Nightmare View Post
                                                  Tonight saw Wimbledon’s first win at Plough Lane since 30th March 1991 (3-1 v Nottingham Forest). I must admit I have had a few drinks, and I’m absolutely made up.
                                                  Unbeaten at Plough Lane since May 1991.

Comment

Originally posted by TonTon View Post

Unbeaten at Plough Lane since May 1991.
                                                    Um, unbeaten at Plough Lane since we lost to Crawley in the FA cup on 29th November 2020.

But unbeaten in the league at Plough Lane since May 1991!
                                                    Last edited by Favourite Worst Nightmare; 03-12-2020, 11:08.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X