Peterborough United: 'Season of Vengeance' - Div 3 2020-21

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Peterborough United: 'Season of Vengeance' - Div 3 2020-21

It seemed apt to start a new thread as teams have started to formulate their squads for next season. Although at the same time a bit odd, given that the 2019-20 League One play-offs are yet to be played.

Anyway, news from Doncaster is that James Coppinger has been offered a new contract; assuming he takes it, that will be him committing to his 17th season with the club. Something to look forward too for us at least.

Coppinger must be in his late forties by now. Does he deserve one or is there sentimentality involved?

Anyway, save us a place, we'll be here shortly.

Comment

Are other clubs "formulating their squads"? Crikey, I saw Wimbledon's retained list a week or so ago but beyond that I don't expect them to do much until we know when and how the season is starting. I expected pretty much everyone except Sunderland to be the same.
      Last edited by Ray de Galles; 25-06-2020, 19:40.

Comment

I went looking to see if the quote in the title was one that Peterborough owner had actually used (I knew the thrust of his daft fit of pique was correct) and found this.

https://twitter.com/liamhoden/status/1269985843156041735?s=21

The writer seems to have rather made it about Doncaster (in true local paper style, obviously) rather than MacAnthony singling them out, no?

Comment

Hello all. I grew up watching Argyle in this league (well from 78-86) and it always seems like our natural home.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post

The writer seems to have rather made it about Doncaster (in true local paper style, obviously) rather than MacAnthony singling them out, no?
            Oh yeah, McAnthony's quote was very much about how Posh are approaching the whole campaign and responding to all League One clubs who voted not to play out the season. But there's been a bit of friction between Peterborough and Doncaster in recent seasons with Darren Ferguson flitting between the two, but yeah the article is very much a general point made personal for the local audience.

In fact I'm pretty sure that tweet followed ours (the Doncaster fanzine's) where we made particular reference to the 'season of vengeance' bit.

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Casper View Post
              Coppinger must be in his late forties by now. Does he deserve one or is there sentimentality involved?
              He'll turn 40 during the next season. And yes, it's absolutely on merit. He still tops all the assists and key passes tables – usually for the division as well as the club.

Comment

Coppinger is a D3 legend, I'd say. I picked him in my best D3 team (players I'd seen. no loans allowed, sorry Ben Godfrey). However, are we really going to spend the whole season with fucking Peterborough in the thread title?*

I suppose I'll enjoy it if they fail.

*winkyfacething

Comment

Well Salford were in the 4th div thread title last season...

Comment

And we're off...

[URL="https://twitter.com/drfc_official/status/1283370476933455874"]https://twitter.com/drfc_official/st...70476933455874[/URL]

Comment

Have the fixtures come out?

Or a date been set for the fixtures coming out?

Comment

Also, have we discussed the salary cap yet? Is it just designed to keep Sunderland and Ipswich down with us forever?

Comment

Nope... as we still only know who 21 of the 24 teams taking part are.

The EFL are meeting to decide the season start date next week... 29 August or 12 September are the tabled options apparently, but it's thought a lot of clubs understandably want to wait until fans can be back in the grounds; so expect the latter date, if not later.

Comment

A welcome London derby for Wimbledon with Charlton relegated. I suppose it was greedy to hope Luton came down too and rebalance the division a bit.
                            Last edited by Ray de Galles; 22-07-2020, 22:04.

Comment

I've still not been to Luton. Weird.

God but MacAnthony is a prick, isn't he?

I don't really know our squad from last season, so hopefully it changes a lot and then everyone will be in the same boat as me. I saw some talk of a season-long loan for a 'keeper from Birmingham.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
                                A welcome London derby for Wimbledon with Charlton relegated. I suppose it was greedy to hope Luton came down too and rebalance the division a bit.
                                Appeals pending and all that, but Plymouth's promotion means we've a slightly more southern divisional spread than last season. Although six of the 'swaps' are much of a muchness...

Lost Bolton, but gained Wigan
                                Lost Southend, but gained Charlton
                                Lost Rotherham, but gained Hull
                                Lost Wycombe, but gained Swindon
                                Lost Tranmere, but gained Crewe
                                Lost Coventry, but gained Northampton

Lost Bury, but gained Plymouth

Feel for Plymouth though, in promotion they've lost their five nearest away games (Exeter, Forest Green, Bristol Rovers, Cheltenham, Newport)

Comment

Bury were a spectral presence, at best, last season though.

Comment

Pun unintended.

Comment

I know, but lockdown home working has fried my brain, so without including them there I couldn't fathom how we'd gained seven teams but only lost six through promotion and relegation

Comment

I feel your pain, I still think Swansea needed snookers to make the play-offs, last night.

Comment

Originally posted by Uros Predic View Post

Appeals pending and all that, but Plymouth's promotion means we've a slightly more southern divisional spread than last season. Although six of the 'swaps' are much of a muchness...

Feel for Plymouth though, in promotion they've lost their five nearest away games (Exeter, Forest Green, Bristol Rovers, Cheltenham, Newport)
                                          The fact we're Plymouth's 4th closest away game last season (I assume you meant Swindon not Bristol Rovers) shows just how far away from most places Plymouth actually is. It's not a game I'd even think of as being local/near.

Comment

Originally posted by Uros Predic View Post

We've still got Bristol Rovers, well gained them really. And keep Swindon who we also consider near, but not rivals.

Comment

Anyway, the exciting thing for us is the new stadium, which we might be able to go to sometime. There's been talk of starting the season elsewhere, dunno if that's going to happen or not.

Wycombe gone is excellent news. Horrible horrible team. Charlton down is a plus for us I think, yeah. Nice to have something local like that - even more local for me, being sarf east Lahndahn these days.

Got to work out what to do about buying a season ticket or whatever. Hmmm.

Comment

Yeah, sorry, had a complete mind block on what division Bristol Rovers were in... I meant Plymouth's four closest away games had been lost.

Comment

I've made the short trip (for me) to Bristol for 4 seasons in a row now. So I was going to pick up on that too.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X