No announcement yet.

Peterborough United: 'Season of Vengeance' - Div 3 2020-21

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another couple of things on Oxford. First, on Karl Robinson, I am a bit conflicted as the season comes to an end. I want Oxford to win, to get into the play-offs and to win promotion. But I still don’t like Robinson’s persona in interviews and kind of want him gone. As I mentioned a couple of pages ago, we have a run of seasons with terrible starts that have put us in a hole and after three of them it feels like a pattern rather than coincidence. So I don’t think Robinson’s up to the job. Of course, if we get promoted he’ll have proved me wrong, but I don’t like being proved wrong... I’d like to have a manager I actually like.

On a bigger issue, I’ve long thought that our fans have missed a trick with the stadium. Because, mostly, of the association with Kassam there’s been no concerted attempt to embrace the stadium for what it is. I think it would have been possible to embrace its lack of charm, the lack of a fourth side, the out of town-ness, and so on. A version of “No one likes it, we don’t care”. Obviously it’s objectively a bad stadium, but with a different name and owner (and therefore a different attitude from the fans) it could have been “our” bad stadium, with its quirks and annoyances. When opposition fans whine about it we could have got to mock them for their team’s hoofballs flying towards the cinema, or the fact they got lost in a soulless science park, or that they couldn’t get to the ground from the station. It could have been one of those things that develops the “us against the world” community spirit that helps bond a lot of fans and teams.

Comment

Am I the only one thinking it might be educational to meet up with My Name Is Ian and buy him a few drinks?

Comment

Definitely not.

Comment

I almost certainly have nowhere near as many good stories as the good people in this parish who've been closer to the centre of it all that I have been.

Comment

A few things.

Shrewsbury's ground maybe 'indenti-kit" in terms of the generic looking stands, but no other stadium (that I know of) in the UK has sandstone from the South Shropshire Hills in the walls. It's actually aesthetically pleasing. That's just one example of it's difference.

The story behind getting the ground is of one giant smear campaign by the council and local residents. PT is not exaggerating when new ground activists were threatened with all sorts of 'life ruining' events.

The council leaders reneged on agreements and changed the goalposts constantly. They were basically a bunch of lying cunts.

However, the new ground had plenty of critics amongst our fanbase. This was probably the most disheartening thing about it. Trying to explain that this is what 12 million quid gets you.

This is why I don't give a fuck what people think about it. The stories around how we got to the new ground is only known by those involved and those with their ear to the ground.

Local stories, for local people I guess.
            Last edited by NickSTFU; 26-04-2021, 16:29.

Comment

As an aside,it cracks me up that there's now luxury housing on the gay meadow site. Selling more to the rugby crowd, i suppose

Comment

I'm not sure there is much of a rugby crowd in Shrewsbury. Not club rugby anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by NHH View Post
                  I wonder if the internet makes that easier - the ability of a person to pitch up as being the new messiah whilst being fundamentally a wrong 'un is much harder when fans have been educated more and are able to get information more easily. Fans have used the internet to very useful effect in this way, and so Kassam might have managed to escape more engaged scrutiny because it was before the internet went mainstream?
                  Doesn't seem to have stopped Greensill for example

Comment

I'm not sure that tells us anything; I never heard of Greensill until recently, and nor do I hanker after getting to the bottom of the backstory of senior civil service appointees. I know that when Tony Petty tried to take over Swansea in 2001, fans were able to make connections with people in Brisbane who could give them chapter and verse on what a chance he was, so from the get go, he was on the back foot locally having to argue against that history, rather than have the vast majority completely unaware of that history leaving him free to pull the wool over people's eyes with banal platitudes and unrealistic boosterism.

Comment

They strike me as two rather different kinds of situations

Greensill was an establishment operator with a real (and rather boring) business who decided that he needed to "disrupt" things in order to make megabucks (and to satisfy investor demand for unsustainable returns) and was very adept at co-opting political cover in multiple countries while he was doing so.

He seems very unlikely to have been interested in taking over a football club, but had he done so, supporters would have found the usual fawning coverage of the stenographic business press. Petty had much more of a track record as a chancer who was looking to replicate a plan that hadn't quite come off in Queensland in Wales.

Comment

Back to the football and there's a massive one at Plough Lane this evening where Rochdale have a 100% record in League and Cup - of the wrong sort. If I've got it right a win sees Wimbledon safe, a draw and to go down they'd have to lose both their remaining games while Northampton and Rochdale would have to win both theirs. Anything less than a win for Dale and while relegation wouldn't be assured I think it's fair to say that as has looked likely all season we can start packing our bags as we'll soon be going home.

I'll be elsewhere and have no intention checking my phone every five minutes but for a prediction apropos of nothing I'm going 3-0 to Dale.

Comment

Point at home to Doncaster-or any of their last 3 fixtures-condemns Sunderland to play-offs. Where Charlton are lurking if not guaranteed.

Comment

I'm watching it. Not going to start a new armchair thread. We're better, but no goals so far, so you know.

Comment

Palmer started, which means Mark Robinson was telling porkies about injuries.

Comment

Bloody hell we need to bloody score.

Comment

Fucking bollocks and shit.

0-1.

Comment

Originally posted by Artificial Hipster View Post
                                    Back to the football and there's a massive one at Plough Lane this evening where Rochdale have a 100% record in League and Cup - of the wrong sort. If I've got it right a win sees Wimbledon safe, a draw and to go down they'd have to lose both their remaining games while Northampton and Rochdale would have to win both theirs. Anything less than a win for Dale and while relegation wouldn't be assured I think it's fair to say that as has looked likely all season we can start packing our bags as we'll soon be going home.

I'll be elsewhere and have no intention checking my phone every five minutes but for a prediction apropos of nothing I'm going 3-0 to Dale.
                                    A true fan- lists all the reasons why you'll get hammered and then predicts a 3-0 victory.

Oops only just seen TonTon's post...

Comment

HT 0-1.

Comment

Accrington beating Portsmouth 2-0

Comment

Brilliant opening 25 minutes for the Imps at Shrewsbury, a reminder of how good we are with Bridcutt and Grant fit. The former crossing for the latter to head home from close range. Montsma looking very comfortable and back to his best as well, and Brennan Johnson started brightly. Unfortunately, he's gone off presumably as a precaution and we haven't been the same, and Shrews have changed formation and wasted two excellent chances. One off the post, and the second somehow put wide with Palmer to beat. As things stand, with Pompey losing to Stanley we should be secure in the play-offs.

Comment

0-2

Comment

I mean for fucking fuck's sake.

Comment

1-2

Comment

I've just seen that Rochdale have Doncaster next then Franchise on the last day and feel a bit sick.

Comment

If we lose to them then there's no reason to think we'll do better than them over the next two games.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X