Peterborough United: 'Season of Vengeance' - Div 3 2020-21

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post

Well it's relevant when someone gets on their high horse about what is an acceptable opinion on "a WSC Forum" and what isn't.
    Well, personally, I don't give a fuck about that either.

But, anyway, my point really is about criticising our ground, when people know fuck all about how and why we got there.

Solidarity would be recognising and congratulating us on how we've achieved sustainable football league football in a stadium bought and owned by the Club, built within budget and on time.

Solidarity would be recognising that maybe Salop could be a model for other lower league clubs when it comes to sustainability and building a ground that is functional and fit for purpose.

Of course, we not a model Club in other ways. For example, the Youth System is dog shite for the amount of investment it has, but when it comes to our ground, I'll argue the toss that it's been excellent for us.

Comment

There are loads of things that you might have with an ideal stadium. But debt-free, owned by the club (or with very strong and well-protected long-term rights), legally protected as far as possible and recognisably within your area are top of the list. After that, sure, it'd be great to have something in the middle of town and with some individual and interesting features.

Comment

Originally posted by TonTon View Post
        There are loads of things that you might have with an ideal stadium. But debt-free, owned by the club (or with very strong and well-protected long-term rights), legally protected as far as possible and recognisably within your area are top of the list. After that, sure, it'd be great to have something in the middle of town and with some individual and interesting features.
        Yes, of course, but over time individual and interesting features will come, it doesn't have to be architectural (you don't get much for 12 mill), it can be the amount of varied and interesting flags there are around the ground, or the fan zone.

But, anyway, I am keeping my fingers crossed I can get down to yours next season.

Comment

Yeah. And you definitely shouldn't give a fuck what anyone else thinks of your stadium.

I'm hoping ours is proper finished soon...

Comment

There's some interesting features I'm quite happy to have left behind, like being on a fucking flood plain. Boring and above water is fine by me.

Comment

Restricted views, one shitter for 4000 men and one for several hundred women, urinals that were a chemical hazard and the smell of shit after a flood.

Comment

The new ground is important historically now with the first safe standing in the EFL. Might not be very exciting to look at but history-making stuff rarely is.

Comment

Do you have any standing at the new place? And what do you call the new place?

(And yeah I know it's not really new)

Crosspost. So was there "safe standing" retrofitted? Did I know that?

Comment

Well it's relevant when someone gets on their high horse about what is an acceptable opinion on "a WSC Forum" and what isn't.
                    It's not though, it's just whataboutery.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post

It's not though, it's just whataboutery.
                      That's a legit response to tone policing.

Comment

Originally posted by TonTon View Post
                        Do you have any standing at the new place? And what do you call the new place?

(And yeah I know it's not really new)

Crosspost. So was there "safe standing" retrofitted? Did I know that?
                        Currently it's Montgomery Waters Meadow after the sponsor. Generally it's known as New Meadow or just "the meddah".

The safe standing was retrofitted at the top of the South stand. It's good fun being up there.

Comment

That's a legit response to tone policing.
                          Well, when the tone is "Fuck Swindon* because I bear a grudge about a previous promotion" or something similar along with bizarre sub Daily Mail comments section metaphors about people with new iPhones you should expect a comment about how much it jars.

* where the club's hierarchy and supporters are, at best, not clearly demarcated

Comment

Originally posted by Fearful Symmetry View Post

Thanks, not sure I'd want this to happen too often though, it hurts the head somewhat.

Another game where we pulled it out the hat, as we were under the cosh for long periods of the second half, and Malik Wilks displayed a coolness I didn't know he possessed to dispatch the winning penalty. The obvious targeting of Honeyman threatened to throw us, but the other players stepped up in his absence and saw it through.

A tip of the cap to the manager, who at the end of last season was about as popular as a dose of the shits with pretty much the entire fan base, but has cobbled together a squad that in the main plays good attacking football and works for each other. And, I guess, fair play to the owners for sticking by him and backing him (can't believe I've just written that. I feel dirty)

Now, let's go and win the title.
                            Ref was all over the place yesterday. I can't begrudge Hull the win. Montsma was lucky not to concede a penalty in first half and not entirely sure what Poole thought he was doing challenging for an overhit cross.

Deeply frustrating to concede so early, but didn't defend the cross and Montsma caught on his heels. Despite dominating possession after the break and getting a deserved equaliser, we were indebted to Palmer making a couple of good saves. Wilks was a constant thorn all game, but thought we kept the forwards quiet, particularly after the break. Amazed that we managed to score from a set piece tbh.

Great to see Grant, Hopper and Bridcutt back playing. Not sure Grant starting was a wise decision - game seemed to pass him by until the second half, and then he was hauled off just as he was showing some influence. Johnson again showed plenty of class and Rogers was largely anonymous. Just hope that's the end of all our injury woe and we can get over the Play Off line and have a fully fit squad to choose from.

Comment

I think it's perfectly possible to despise a club and its ownership and wish nothing but misfortune on them whilst still retaining a certain level of sympathy for their supporters, though in some cases the supporters smug sneering attitude when their club suddenly becomes cash rich deserves the same level of disdain. I'm thinking Notts County under Munto and Cralwey when Evans was manager.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post

Well, when the tone is "Fuck Swindon* because I bear a grudge about a previous promotion" or something similar along with bizarre sub Daily Mail comments section metaphors about people with new iPhones you should expect a comment about how much it jars.

* where the club's hierarchy and supporters are, at best, not clearly demarcated
                                Whatever. I'm not sure who died and made you arbiter of how much I should express how much I care about the fans of clubs that have been poorly served by their owners. Or who appointed you upholder of standards of discourse on this forum. I must have missed that election.

I mean, you could have just said you feel sorry for their fans but you took it as an opportunity to express your disapproval of the way other people expressed themselves.

Comment

Patrick, I like you but you're having a bit of a peculiar response here. If you object so strongly to people commenting on the content and tone of your comments then spending the amount of time you (or I) do on an Internet forum is not a good idea

Also, if you fail to grasp that a forum that sprung from, and is still allied to, WSC would have a prevailing attitude of concern for and solidarity with "fans of clubs that have been poorly served by their owners" then I'm not sure what you've been reading all these years.

That ethos makes this place different from most, if not all, football forums I've ever encountered and I don't think it's out of order to reiterate it.
                                  Last edited by Ray de Galles; 25-04-2021, 16:55.

Comment

Ray, you interpreted my comment about not feeling much sympathy for clubs that are on a cycle of overspending and gaining success for it as lacking any compassion for the fans. When I clarified it as clubs not fans, that wasn't good enough for you.

And yes it pissed me off. I didn't think what I said was so controversial. You summed up what I said as "Fuck Swindon". That's not what I said. You said my posts were Whataboutery and sub Daily Mail commenting. Now you say I'm having a tantrum.

And all under the guise of upholding the standards of WSC.

Comment

I’ve sat in the away end at Swindon when they were on the verge of promotion and we were getting relegated and their crowds have magically doubled, it was pretty obvious they were overspending and it really pissed me off.
                                      We also had Bury win promotion at our place when it was clear they were in big trouble, and that was annoying too.

But annoying as it is/was, I can’t blame the fans in those crowds.

While I’d like to think I’d celebrate a financially doped success a bit (a lot?) less, but in the heat of the moment, if I was still going to games, that’s probably wishful thinking. I guess you always hope there is a way out of off-field issues and the on field issues are your focus, though Bury and Macclesfield prove otherwise.

Comment

Now you say I'm having a tantrum.
                                        I'd already edited that comment as it was unfair for which I apologise.

I stand by everything else I've said though. I found your (and tee rex's, let's not forget) initial attitude very strange and the avenues you individually have gone down since either irrelevant or doubling down. I don't feel there's much mileage in going over it all ad infinitum though.

There is an interesting tangent that Sean and Baptiste have touched on about how one reacts if one's club achieves success that you suspect is short term and will be damaging in the long run.

It's a complicated, nuanced subject that I had some experience of in my final decade or so as a Cardiff supporter. I might explore it further when I have more time.
                                        Last edited by Ray de Galles; 25-04-2021, 17:27.

Comment

OK. Apology accepted. Let's move on. FWIW I'm sorry for my snarky posts too.

Comment

Originally posted by Fearful Symmetry View Post
                                            2 games against a frankly-can't-be-arsed Doncaster to come, you'd reckon so.
                                            This is kind, in that it suggests that if we could be arsed we'd have something about us. We've fallen off a cliff since February and there's no sign of this being rectified; our players are not so much already on the beach, as disappearing out to see having mistakenly let their novelty unicorn lilos drift into a rip-tide

Comment

Shrewsbury missed out in promotion a couple of seasons ago to two heavily doped teams
                                              As the club that thwarted you in the play-offs, I've been trying to remember who actually got automatic promotion that season, hoping that they would explain your doping jibe. Having found out who they were, I can agree with you. What I hadn't realised was that the three clubs who'd been relegated the previous season all went back up again. Not good.

Comment

Well when someone starts listing shit identikit out of town stadiums, Shrewsbury's will always be on that list.
                                                That's because, in experience, it is a shit identikit out of town stadium. Neither it's reason for being nor its legacy really detract from either of these aspects.

Comment

Originally posted by Gangster Octopus View Post
                                                  As the club that thwarted you in the play-offs, I've been trying to remember who actually got automatic promotion that season, hoping that they would explain your doping jibe. Having found out who they were, I can agree with you. What I hadn't realised was that the three clubs who'd been relegated the previous season all went back up again. Not good.
                                                  Yeah, I wasn't including the play off winners in that. Rotherham seem to have come through their travails and aren't one of the stupid spenders afaik.

Comment

Originally posted by Uros Predic View Post

That's because, in experience, it is a shit identikit out of town stadium. Neither it's reason for being nor its legacy really detract from either of these aspects.
                                                    Shrugs. Whatever. It's paid for and the club is in the black. Whether you like it isn't relevant.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X