Peterborough United: 'Season of Vengeance' - Div 3 2020-21

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jobi1 View Post
    Apparently that was Grant McCann's first 0-0 draw in the league in his time at Hull, which seems an impressively long time. Wonder what the record is for longest time at the start of a managerial tenure without one?
    In that case, it'll only be his second 0-0 draw as a manager since August 2018, as aside from a 0-0 with Barnsley in March 2019 our games under McCann tended to be freescoring.

Doncaster deservedly beaten at Fleetwood tonight on what's becoming a bogey ground for us. Despite leading for almost an hour we never got to grips with the game, and once we'd gifted them a second with a short backpass there was only going to be one winner. Hopefully we'll get to mark it down as a blip.

Comment

Originally posted by Uros Predic View Post
      , and once we'd gifted them a second with a short backpass there was only going to be one winner.
      You are the Liverpool of League One.

Comment

So, 8 wins from our last 9 games in the league (10 wins from 11 if you include the Racist Pizza Cup). We're still three points off the play-off spots.

Comment

2 points dropped, 2 successive games without a shot on target, and that's now 4 wins in 13. So obviously McCann has been nominated for Manager of the Month.

We've also lost captain Richie Smallwood for the rest of the season, and of the potential replacements we sold Dan Batty to Fleetwood (where he's been their Man of the Match in both of his appearances so far) and Alfie Jones is still 2-3 games away from fitness.

Unless we get our collective shit together soon, our fall from the top will be swift, and possibly irreversible.

Comment

Originally posted by Fearful Symmetry View Post
            2 points dropped, 2 successive games without a shot on target, and that's now 4 wins in 13.
            To be fair, you hit the bar and Docherty's shot in the second half was certainly goal-bound until it was deflected just wide by a Lincoln defender's arse. Having watched Hull v Lincoln twice in a week, I'd say you're pretty well placed and have a strong team. I get that supporting Hull in recent times begets an obligatory pessimism, but those aren't the sorts of performance that justify so much gloom.

Comment

One confident Salop fan has pointed out that they are only 10 points off the play-offs with 2 games in hand.

FFS

Comment

Weirdly, the highlights for Hull v Lincoln exclude Brennan Johnson's second half effort, the only shot on target in the whole game. I was quite looking forward to seeing that...

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                  One confident Salop fan has pointed out that they are only 10 points off the play-offs with 2 games in hand.

FFS
                  14th in the Covid table but at least you're heading in the right direction, and will almost certainly be three points better off on Saturday evening.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin S View Post

14th in the Covid table but at least you're heading in the right direction, and will almost certainly be three points better off on Saturday evening.

What do the numbers in columns 2 and 3 represent? Points per game and the adjustment if the season was to end today?

Comment

Points per game on the right hand column, and so presumably goal difference per game in the middle column?

Comment

Could they still halt the season early?

Comment

Yes, PPG and GDpG.

Probably will be played to a finish now I think but the disruption thus far makes the PPG table quite useful in showing where you stand; there is a lot of unevenness in number of games played.

The 1.8 for a playoff place is a useful benchmark. It means you should be aiming for 54 points from 30, 63 points from 35, 72 from 40 and finally 83/84 points at the end.

Ipswich are on 39 from 25, so a run of five straight wins is really needed now to get them back on track. That really isn't gonna happen with Lambert still in charge.
                          Last edited by Kevin S; 11-02-2021, 00:33.

Comment

Or 24 points from the next ten games (w7 d3, say) ... Laughably unlikely.

Comment

Stop the season now, I say. Purely in the interests of public health.

Comment

Where is that "per game" table available from?

Comment

https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/l...ague-table/ppm
                                  I find it displays fine on mobile but didn't open on my laptop at all for some reason.

Edit - actually it now opens fine, must have been down the other day.
                                  Last edited by Kevin S; 11-02-2021, 11:43.

Comment

Originally posted by imp View Post

To be fair, you hit the bar and Docherty's shot in the second half was certainly goal-bound until it was deflected just wide by a Lincoln defender's arse. Having watched Hull v Lincoln twice in a week, I'd say you're pretty well placed and have a strong team. I get that supporting Hull in recent times begets an obligatory pessimism, but those aren't the sorts of performance that justify so much gloom.
                                    Maybe so, but it was only a few games ago we took Pompey to the cleaners, so we know what they're capable of. Lack of consistency is what will probably do for us.

Also, on recent history we don't finish our seasons strongly. Last season is a glaringly obvious example, but even in relatively successful years we've generally done it the hard way or relied on results going our way. We're heading towards a situation where that won't be an option, and we have to be the masters of our own destiny. And that's ultimately why I don't feel confident.

Comment

I watch a lot of Hull games (thanks to the husband, and my own team only playing about once every 2 months at present), and as a (mostly) neutral my assessment this season is that they look a very decent outfit compared to the competition, but one that is rather lacking in attack – KLP is a great little player but can't do everything by himself, Wilks seems to be too often in a strop, and the two big boys may not quite be as rank awful as a lot of City fans seem to think but at the same time do look increasingly lumbering and unfit for purpose. They also seem to be a team that really thrives on confidence – when they get a goal or two, like in that Pompey game, they play with real swagger; but when they come up against a more stubborn and defensive team who they don't manage to get in front early against, like at Burton last weekend, you can visibly see the belief drain from them and they look frustrated and bereft of ideas.

So I can see imp's point, but I can also understand the pessimism. Dominating possession and looking (however subjectively) the better team but failing to force the opposition keeper to get his gloves dirty, as seems to happen in quite a few Hull games, I'd say is definitely a cause for concern, and one that could well ultimately scupper their promotion charge.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin S View Post
                                        https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/l...ague-table/ppm
                                        I find it displays fine on mobile but didn't open on my laptop at all for some reason.

Edit - actually it now opens fine, must have been down the other day.
                                        Thanks, Kevin.

I'm still in shock from discovering today is the year anniversary of the last time I saw Wimbledon play!

Comment

Cotterill taking working from 'home' to another level.

Steve Cotterill: Shrewsbury manager with Covid winning from hospital - BBC News

I have mixed feelings about this, but it's up to him how he recovers I suppose.

Comment

Lincoln v Accrington postponed until tomorrow evening at 6pm. And I'd just put my retro replica shirt on too, damn it.

Comment

Our game's off. Which is annoying. I was even kinda sorta looking forward to it.

Word is we are trying to rearrange for tomorrow. We'll see.

Comment

Originally posted by NickSTFU View Post
                                                Cotterill taking working from 'home' to another level.

Steve Cotterill: Shrewsbury manager with Covid winning from hospital - BBC News

I have mixed feelings about this, but it's up to him how he recovers I suppose.
                                                One of my work colleagues has been a personal friend of Cotterill since his Cheltenham Town days. She's of the opinion that it's actually been a good thing for him, given his somewhat... driven... personality. How it turns out long term is another matter.

Comment

He can relax this afternoon now - game off. Not that Ipswich would have given him anything to worry about, anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisJ View Post

How it turns out long term is another matter.
                                                    Well, quite.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X