Beating your (war) chest - Conference North 2020 - 2021

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beating your (war) chest - Conference North 2020 - 2021

Darlo have amassed over ?100 from their "boost the budget" campaign to raise funds for squad strengthening and improvement

I take it you’ve missed a nought or two off there.

Comment

Quite a few, ?131,190 at the last count.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul S View Post
        Quite a few, ?131,190 at the last count.
        Impressive.

Comment

Southport have signed a Dutch-born Somali international centre back called Muhamud Ali. Describing him that way makes him sound more of an exciting signing than the equally true part-time driving instructor who has played for a number of non-League sides in the Manchester area.

Comment

Originally posted by Jumbo McGinnis View Post
            I take it you’ve missed a nought or two off there.
            "Should of" said 100 grand

Comment

And ?, not ?

Comment

Pound sign, pound sign, pound sign, you fucker!

Comment

Don't worry, Guy Profumo, it's happening to all of us.

Comment

York's mysterious Vice Presidents club launched one, which so far has raised a whopping 10K (no noughts missing). It's almost as though if your chairman alienates your fan base and causes the team to reach its lowest ever level through continuous chronically bad decision making and operating at massive losses that the fans may not be all that keen to throw handfuls of cash at you. Whodathunkit?

Comment

Seem to be signing quite a few new players.

Meanwhile, quite a cull on the reatined list down the upline of the East Coast Mainline.

Comment

Final numbers in from the VP clan on our war chest project. Quite surprised they even managed to pull in this much:

The appeal raised just over GBP15,000, with a very generous donation of GBP1,000 from the Supporters Trust – from the outset the Vice Presidents agreed to match the figure raised, providing they had the funds to meet the final figure.

Following discussions with Steve Watson at a recent Board Meeting, we have agreed to use the money raised to support and develop the members of the youth team who will be stepping up and being active members of the first team squad. The money will cover their development, wages, and expenses over the forthcoming season.
                        Given our squad currently consists of two keepers, a defender, an ageing midfielder, and the above-mentioned handful of youth prospects, I'd say we're more likely to be challenging for 11th place again rather than 1st. Then again, our generous owner will probably just wang a load more company loans in. I don't think anyone's even counting at this point...

Comment

Darlo granted permission to play at the Arena

https://darlingtonfc.co.uk/news/quak...ern-echo-arena

Comment

Boston's new ground is looking very smart. Sadly quite a walk from the train station and bus station though.

Comment

Originally posted by Guy Profumo View Post
                              Darlo granted permission to play at the Arena

https://darlingtonfc.co.uk/news/quak...ern-echo-arena
                              Good news provided the ground inspection goes OK on Wednesday. I wonder if other clubs will think about groundshares with bigger clubs in light of this?

Comment

Originally posted by ingoldale View Post
                                Boston's new ground is looking very smart. Sadly quite a walk from the train station and bus station though.
                                I note Boston's owner has said they might have to play their first few home games at Gainsborough as it's not 100% certain the new stadium will be ready, which would be something of a bigger walk from Boston.

Meanwhile, York have just announced that they're hoping to start the new season in their new stadium. Not clear how that's going to work as regards having fans in, given there has been no possibility of running the test events required to get a safety certificate. Perhaps they can grant one for a limited capacity based on inspection alone? I guess Boston must be in the same boat.

Comment

Fixture list: season will start on October 5 and go up to May 29:

https://www.skysports.com/football/c...north/fixtures

Comment

National League have written to the government asking for permission for up to 1,000 people to be allowed into matches when the season starts in October.

Comment

Seems York are one or only 2 or 3 teams who have indicated that they want to start the season in early October as planned behind closed doors. Understandable I guess, but doesn't seem very popular among other fans. I honestly don't know how the NL can function under the circumstances – too high to allow fans in, too low to make enough from TV/streaming. It really is a bit of a black hole.

Comment

I think they'd be crazy to start the season.

Comment

Further development, a joint statement has been released complaining about the unfairness of the NL voting system, and noting the concerns about the implications of restarting without fans. We appear to be the only club who has declined to sign, further adding to a spectacular afternoon of PR for us.

Comment

Are York paying their players already?

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                                              Are York paying their players already?
                                              I assume so. We're still a full-time professional (in the very loosest sense) outfit, and have assembled what on paper seems a very strong squad, with most new players coming from higher levels. Can't imagine many of them would have signed without the guarantee of immediate wages.

Comment

10m pounds confirmed to cover 3 months across the NL.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/54391164

Comment

In their first competitive game in the city since 2007, Gloucester City beat Kettering 3-1 this evening.

I genuinely feel great for all of their fans who have been through hell in the last 13 years trying to get the club back to Gloucester. It's a shame so many weren't able to be there for the return.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X