Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Colin's back: managerial changes 2020-21 (and the festering remains of 2019-20)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Koeman has approached Ajax about Donny van de Beek, who has already been told he is free to leave Ajax. So not a problem. It looks like Koeman is getting two years pay for one year’s work, not a bad deal.

Comment

It also is very much a free hit for him reputation wise.

If he succeeds, he will be hailed as a genius. If he fails, everyone will attribute it to the club's obvious dysfunction.

Comment

I'm surprised Koeman is leaving the Netherlands in the lurch, although it has sprung my favourite managerial rumour ever, which is that Big Weng is talking to the KNVB.

Comment

Koeman's time at Benfica is best forgotten by most Benfiquistas, but I'll always stand by my opinion that he built a very solid back four for Benfica and turned Luis?o into a world class center back.

He always played with 2 deep lying midfielders, which is what the Benfiquistas hated, just so cautious. But if he's got de Jong and Busquets in that role, it might just work. However, he typically liked one of those 2 deep midfielders to be a pyscho nutcase in the Thomas Gravesen mold, meaning he inexplicably gave repeated starts to the Cameroonian midfielder Gilles Binya (who did the x-rated tackle on Scott Brown in the CL).

​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by Flynnie View Post
            I'm surprised Koeman is leaving the Netherlands in the lurch, although it has sprung my favourite managerial rumour ever, which is that Big Weng is talking to the KNVB.
            Ah, WTF...

Comment

I heard that one today as well.

Comment

The story I read said that Wenger had offered his services to the KNVB, which is different from them being in talks

Comment

Just realised I never mentioned this. And I imagine nobody else noticed, BB&F excepted.

In unsavoury news, the new manager’s nickname appears to be Pauno.
                  The Welshman had been expected to take on a director of football position following Veljko Paunovic's arrival

Comment

Domenec Torrent has been relieved of his duties at Flamengo. They are still in the Libertadores and the Copa do Brasil and are just a point off leaders Internacional. However, a Flamengo manager can't expect to survive thumping defeats on consecutive weekends. They lost 4-1 at home to Sao Paulo last week and yesterday were thrashed 4-0 at Atletico Mineiro who overtook them in second place. His replacement is likely to be Rogerio Ceni from Fortaleza.

Internacional could be losing their manager Eduardo Coudet to Celta Vigo. It looks like a job at a lower mid-table Spanish club is more attractive than a chance of winning the Brasileirao.

It is worth noting that last season the top two managers in Brazil were Jorge Jesus at Flamengo and Sampaoli at Santos. This year, non-Brazilians are (or were) in charge of the top three - Coudet, Torrent and Sampaoli who has moved to Atl?tico Mineiro.

Comment

Originally posted by cantagalo View Post
                      Internacional could be losing their manager Eduardo Coudet to Celta Vigo. It looks like a job at a lower mid-table Spanish club is more attractive than a chance of winning the Brasileirao.
                      Yes, Celta sacked their manager today. It's looking increasingly likely that Athletic Bilbao will sack theirs very soon too.

Comment

Not confirmed yet, but being reported by the Super Soaraway 30% Off Athletic that Garry Monk has left Wednesday. I can't say I'm terribly distressed by this news.

Comment

And now it has been confirmed. We've also sacked the backroom staff he brought in in August. That all worked out well, then.

The structural problems at the club caused by the idiot chairman are not Monk's fault and will continue to exist under whichever poor bugger takes on the job. What we can blame Monk for is the lack of creativity, dreadfully slow tempo, disorganised defence, only winning twice at home since Christmas and six goals so far this season, two of which were penalties and another an OG.

Comment

The lack of creativity and the dreadfully slow tempo were issues when Monk was at Swansea, the defence not so much so. He, in hindsight, destroyed the Swansea way and it's taken years to put right.

Comment

Oi, Wednesday keep yer hands off Warney.

Er, not that I've heard owt...

Comment

Paul Cook is the early favourite, though it's probably time for us to try the "unknown from the Continent" type again.

Comment

Looks like it is going to be Tony Pulis.

Comment

I don't think you could get a more opposite choice for the unknown from the Continent blueprint than that.

Comment

Short term I don't think Pulis would be a bad appointment - in our current situation we need experience and know-how and he'll boot a few of our heroes out of their comfort zone which would be most welcome. His style of football is obviously agricultural but recent incumbents have hardly treated us to a recreation of Brazil 1970. So this season I'd expect him to get us away from relegation and push us up the table. Longer term I'm less enthused, he's 62 now and this will probably be his last big job, he's probably not going to get nicked by anyone unless Stoke fancy him again, but his methods looked increasingly outdated at West Brom and (especially) Middlesbrough where he also had to clear up Monk's legacy. I don't think he'll be in charge when we win the Champions League, let's put it that way.

Comment

I wouldn't call it agricultural, but it's probably a blessing that you can be reading a book or something when your matches are on this season.

Comment

Well, we've formally appointed him, but it seems the government aren't happy about it.

Comment

Possibly the least surprising news of the weekend sees Cocu given the elbow at Derby.

Comment

Chesterfield have mutually consented with John Pemberton.

Comment

Keith Hill confirmed as the new boss at Tranmere. He can be a pretty divisive figure at the best of times so no surprise that appointing him on the back of the caretakers getting 3 straight wins, was not universally popular. Mrs Palios removed a tweet apparently, condemning some fans reaction to him getting the gig.

It could be an interesting watch this..

Comment

Absolutely and while its not exactly last chance saloon for Hill's managerial career he really needs to show he can do it away from Spotland. The reaction from Tranmere fans worries me as he's a manager who needs to feel loved. He's a prize cock, there's no disputing that but he gave me a lot of very happy memories and I can't but wish him well.

Comment

Alan Pardew joins Bulgarian side CSKA Sofia as technical director - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55045011

Pardew is back.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X