Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Colin's back: managerial changes 2020-21 (and the festering remains of 2019-20)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's not so much that I am convinced he will still be here then as I have a (factually unfounded, so basically speculative) conviction that he will rebuild us a squad that can be competitive, even if someone else has a go with it.

To be honest, I have seen differing reports on the length of his contract, his managerial shortcomings notwithstanding.

Comment

Having watched several Cardiff games during his tenure I broadly support Ray's comments there. They barely had a plan A for some games. Proper football teams (Arsenal, Spurs, er, Everton) played around them. Other shit in a stick merchants sometimes came unstuck. Warnockball works against pretty teams that lack confidence and can be bulldozed.

Comment

There's a vacancy at Bournemouth now.

Comment

Originally posted by longeared View Post
          Following on from a successful season at Rio Ave, Carlos Carvalhal is the new head coach at SC Braga.
          I was surprised to hear that Carvalhal was considered for the Flamengo job. Reading between the lines, it seems that he wasn't keen on exposing his family to Brazilian levels of Coronavirus.

Anyway, Flamengo have appointed Dom?nec Torrent, a former assistant to Guardiola at Barcelona, Bayern and Man City and manager at New York City.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
            There's a vacancy at Bournemouth now.
            And at Wigan, Paul Cook has quit there as well.

Comment

Eddie Newton has been appointed manager of Trabzonspor, he's been assistant manager there since February.

Comment

I was only wondering where he was these days quite recently.

Good guy. Hope it works out for him.

Comment

Southend United appoint Mark Molesley, until now manager at Weymouth.

Comment

Originally posted by cantagalo View Post

I was surprised to hear that Carvalhal was considered for the Flamengo job. Reading between the lines, it seems that he wasn't keen on exposing his family to Brazilian levels of Coronavirus.

Anyway, Flamengo have appointed Dom?nec Torrent, a former assistant to Guardiola at Barcelona, Bayern and Man City and manager at New York City.
                    Torrent has not had the best of starts. A home defeat to Atl?tico-MG on the first day of the season was followed last night by a 3-0 thrashing at newly-promoted Atl?tico Goianiense.

It's probably just as well for him that they're playing behind closed doors but the media have been scathing about his team selection. Jorge Jesus was always going to be a tough act to follow.

Comment

https://twitter.com/FabrizioRomano/status/1295342486861250560

Yep. That'll fix it.

Comment

Quite

At least we aren't burning a worthwhile manager during this phony war season before the elections.

Comment

Stuart Pearce has rejoined the West Ham coaching staff, presumably to do the shouty stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                            Quite

At least we aren't burning a worthwhile manager during this phony war season before the elections.
                            A little harsh on Koeman I think

Comment

I can't recall many examples of national coaches transitioning successfully into coaching a club with Barcelona's size and expectations. He's only got the job because his contract was easier to break, I would guess.

Unless he's allowed to clear out the dead wood (which I assume he won't be) he's got no chance of turning the team around.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                                He's only got the job because his contract was easier to break, I would guess.
                                Supposedly he has a clause allowing the contract to be voided if he's specifically offered the Barca job, so yes.

I would speculate that they've making an offer to him that would be an excellent payout should Fonte win the elections and install Xavi, which appears to be the way that the wind is blowing currently.

Comment

He is reported to have had such a clause in every managerial contract he has signed

Comment

Koeman always turns to shite about 18 months into every job. Very clever of him to quit Dutch job while he's ahead.

But he recently had a heart attack. Not sure if this Barca disaster is good for his ticker.

Comment

I can't recall many examples of national coaches transitioning successfully into coaching a club with Barcelona's size and expectations.
                                      Bobby Robson is one who springs to mind. But you did say ‘many’ rather than ‘any’...

Comment

Robson was liked in Barcelona, but as for successful?

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post
                                          Robson was liked in Barcelona, but as for successful?
                                          He won 3 trophies in his only season there including the European Cup Winners Cup.

Comment

True, though he was soon shunted upstairs.

Comment

I heard that Xavi thinks he needs to get more experience before taking on Barcelona, but I'm not sure if his current gig at Al Sadd is actually giving him any experience worthwhile. Surely he's only there for the cash?

Wiki also lists him as a player with Catalonia?

Comment

He doesn't want to work under the current chairman.

Comment

Wiki also lists him as a player with Catalonia?
                                                  Are you noting the existence of the team or just Xavi's involvement?

On the former, they've been in existence for over a century and play about one friendy a year.
                                                  Last edited by Ray de Galles; 18-08-2020, 11:36.

Comment

It shows his commitment that he found time to play those games. For example:

Dec 28, 2003; Nou Camp (Barcelona) Catalonia 4-2 (3-1) Ecuador Line-ups : Catalonia: Victor Valdes (46' Toni); Curro Torres (46' Coromina), Lopo (46' Capo), Quique Alvarez, Sergi Barjuan (77' Piti); Sergio Gonzalez (46' Celades), Xavi, Jordi Cruyff (46' Luis Garcia), Roger (46' Capdevila); Sergio Garcia (46' Guardiola), Albert Luque (72' Aaron)

http://www.rsssf.com/tablesc/cata-intres.html

Guardiola made 7 appearances for them according to Wiki
                                                    Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 18-08-2020, 12:20.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X