Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Colin's back: managerial changes 2020-21 (and the festering remains of 2019-20)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post
    Oh, you've mentioned him before. This must be a fun time for him!

Someone was suggesting that they hit the pub. Brave, given Pearson's belligerent nature even when he's sober!

Comment

Originally posted by Sean of the Shed View Post
      Based on his spell at Fulham I think I'll give it a miss, thanks.
      He's keeping Samp up, in actual fact we're sniffing at the behind of the top half of the table.

Comment

Huddersfield are apparently set to appoint Carlos Corberan, a prominent member of Bielsa's entourage of bright young coaches at Leeds.

Well, that sort of appointment worked with Wagner and then emphatically didn't work with Siewert, so worth another try I suppose

Comment

Apparently Bristol City are appointing Chris Hughton as Head Coach. I hope he does well.

[edit] Arse. I just saw it came from a false twit. They could do a lot worse... carry on.
          Last edited by MarkF; 21-07-2020, 00:41.

Comment

Originally posted by jwdd27 View Post
            Huddersfield are apparently set to appoint Carlos Corberan, a prominent member of Bielsa's entourage of bright young coaches at Leeds.

Well, that sort of appointment worked with Wagner and then emphatically didn't work with Siewert, so worth another try I suppose
            Without wishing to sound like a Brexiter, that’s a classic case of throwing a bright young British manager under the bus so as to hob nob with a fancy Continental. If it happens, I hope Cowley publically wonders why Huddersfield never tried to tempt Corberan to help them when they were in the shit at the bottom of the table.
            Last edited by kokamoa; 21-07-2020, 08:09.

Comment

If Cowley is a "bright young British manager" then England will never win another world cup.

Comment

Fingers crossed.

Comment

Reported round here that the Cowleys were in discussions with Bristol City and Huddersfield weren't impressed but waited until they were safe before sacking him.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                    If Cowley is a "bright young British manager" then England will never win another world cup.
                    He's a breath of fresh air

Comment

Carlos Coberan confirmed at Huddersfield.

Comment

Has Colin left now and retired?

Comment

Not unless you know something.

He was meant to be in talks/a debrief with SGS today before taking a holiday. The mood music is that he wants to stay on at the Boro.

I guess it will depend on how skint we are compared to everyone else.

Comment

https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/sport/...rough-18672997

Comment

Warny horny for the Boro and stopping on.

Comment

He might be hard to like and look more like a pantomime dame with each passing year but he's a hell of a manager isn't he?

Of his many clubs I can only think of Oldham and Bury, where he wasn't particularly successful or well liked and in the case of the latter he kept them up in the championship. He's had a brilliant career.

Comment

He didn't do particularly well at Leeds. But then who has until this year? On his record there's no better Championship manager, other divisions not so much. I'd expect Boro to be thereabouts next season.

Comment

He was a shit footballer.

Comment

Just don't ask him to keep a team in the top flight - he's not an Allardyce/Pulis/Pearson-style firefighter.

Comment

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post
                                        He didn't do particularly well at Leeds. But then who has until this year? On his record there's no better Championship manager, other divisions not so much. I'd expect Boro to be thereabouts next season.
                                        Aye, I only remembered Leeds after I'd posted. He's allowed them though, since Leeds are to managers what Sunderland is to strikers. That his potential appointment would turn Boro from relegation fodder to promotion possibilities is testament to his record at this level.

Comment

I've never considered Sunderland more of a striker's graveyard than the Boro.

I think there's a long way to go for us to be a promotion challenger next season, we have next to no senior players under contract, but Warnock has the kind of record that makes me hopeful for the season after.

Comment

And confirmed as Burra manager for next season by Steve Gibson.

Comment

Following on from a successful season at Rio Ave, Carlos Carvalhal is the new head coach at SC Braga.

Comment

Originally posted by Foot of Astaire's View Post
                                                He might be hard to like and look more like a pantomime dame with each passing year but he's a hell of a manager isn't he?

Of his many clubs I can only think of Oldham and Bury, where he wasn't particularly successful or well liked and in the case of the latter he kept them up in the championship. He's had a brilliant career.
                                                He took Bury down in 1999. I remember a particularly scaborous review of him as Bury’s manager in that season’s edition of Survival of the Fattest. In fact, he’d endured a back to back relegations in his jobs at Oldham and Bury at the time, but managed to pull a plum when Adrian Heath foundered as Sheffield United manager later in 1999, meaning that arguably, his best years as a manager were ahead of him.

Comment

Originally posted by kokamoa View Post

He took Bury down in 1999. I remember a particularly scaborous review of him as Bury’s manager in that season’s edition of Survival of the Fattest. In fact, he’d endured a back to back relegations in his jobs at Oldham and Bury at the time, but managed to pull a plum when Adrian Heath foundered as Sheffield United manager later in 1999, meaning that arguably, his best years as a manager were ahead of him.
                                                  Apologies. I thought he'd kept them up that year. I see wiki says they were incredibly unlucky, going down on goals scored in the only season it was used in preference to goal difference but yeah, definitely his best years were still to come.

Comment

Originally posted by sw2borshch View Post

I think there's a long way to go for us to be a promotion challenger next season, we have next to no senior players under contract, but Warnock has the kind of record that makes me hopeful for the season after.
                                                    I think it's a big stretch to be hypothesising about Warnock still being at your club in 22/23 let alone what he might achieve then.

This is a 71 year old who was bombed out of his last club with them in the lower half of the table and whose replacement got that club to the play-offs. He's a relic and his anti-football has an increasingly limited impact and timespan of effectiveness.

I hear that the Tan Utd customers and players were very happy to see the back of his atrophying tactics and selections, despite the fact that he was something of a hero there (that status tells you a lot about the club and Warnock himself, none of it good).
                                                    Last edited by Ray de Galles; 29-07-2020, 14:44.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X