Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Colin's back: managerial changes 2020-21 (and the festering remains of 2019-20)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The cynic in me wonders if the managerial teams at Watford and Huddersfield were on bonuses for avoiding relegation. Given neither actually has done that yet mathematically (no matter how ridiculous that sounds when applied to Huddersfield) it gives the clubs an out in terms of paying them off?

Comment

A decent lawyer would surely be able to carve their way through that strategy.

Comment

I really don’t get the whole “I hope Watford go down for this” like there’s some big injustice against Pearson or they’ve sacked some sort of club legend. He was merely a short-term appointment removed two games early. It’s basically Watford’s model in use, where coaches are fairly easily removable with the Director of Football as the constant.

Comment

It's an odd model though, even if it seems to have largely worked for Watford. You just get the feeling that this methodology will come back to bite the Pozzos on the arse big time.

Comment

Looking forward to seeing Watford at Wycombe next season.........

Comment

Originally posted by 3 Colours Red View Post
              It's an odd model though, even if it seems to have largely worked for Watford. You just get the feeling that this methodology will come back to bite the Pozzos on the arse big time.
              While it’s unusual, it’s worked for them for 5+ years in the Premier League, so it’s kind of working, isn’t it?

Comment

Originally posted by Jumbo McGinnis View Post

While it’s unusual, it’s worked for them for 5+ years in the Premier League, so it’s kind of working, isn’t it?
                It wasn't working for them this season, until they appointed Pearson.

My response upthread wasn't particularly about Pearson being treated unfairly, more that there was a fightback narrative being played out that was interesting to follow. If he had gone at the end of the season, "Thanks, job done!" it wouldn't have seemed so petty. What was so egregious the owners couldn't stick having him around for another 2 games?

Comment

Originally posted by fatbear View Post
                  Looking forward to seeing Watford at Wycombe next season.........
                  I think that the combined ineptness of Villa and Bournemouth will prevent it happening, unfortunately.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post

It wasn't working for them this season, until they appointed Pearson.

My response upthread wasn't particularly about Pearson being treated unfairly, more that there was a fightback narrative being played out that was interesting to follow. If he had gone at the end of the season, "Thanks, job done!" it wouldn't have seemed so petty. What was so egregious the owners couldn't stick having him around for another 2 games?
                    It was clearly a short-term appointment to keep them in the Premier League, as the length of his contract suggested. He’s not actually managed that (yet) but got them pretty close to it. It reminds me of a less successful version of Everton’s appointment of Sam Allardyce.

Comment

His contract ends next Sunday - why the rush?

Comment

That's my point. Did he insult the owners in some way?

Comment

Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post
                          His contract ends next Sunday - why the rush?
                          Likely a fallout between board and head coach, head coach and director of football or head coach and players.

Comment

Maybe he wanted to carry on, they said no, so he left early.

Comment

It is being written as they sacked him, not him "leaving by mutually consent".

As Sporting says, if they are looking to save themselves a staying bonus, then good luck with that one. Then again, I'm sure that there was a case settled fairly recently where a manager went to court for unpaid bonuses and won.

Comment

I really don’t get the whole “I hope Watford go down for this” like there’s some big injustice against Pearson or they’ve sacked some sort of club legend. He was merely a short-term appointment removed two games early. It’s basically Watford’s model in use, where coaches are fairly easily removable with the Director of Football as the constant.
                                Interesting angle. "Sure, they're treating their manager shabbily, but treating managers shabbily is actually their business model." Well yes, that'll be why lots of people didn't like them even before they sacked Pearson.

Comment

Originally posted by Fussbudget View Post
                                  Interesting angle. "Sure, they're treating their manager shabbily, but treating managers shabbily is actually their business model." Well yes, that'll be why lots of people didn't like them even before they sacked Pearson.
                                  Don’t think Football is for you if you don’t like shabby treatment of employed people.

Comment

Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post
                                    It is being written as they sacked him, not him "leaving by mutually consent".

As Sporting says, if they are looking to save themselves a staying bonus, then good luck with that one. Then again, I'm sure that there was a case settled fairly recently where a manager went to court for unpaid bonuses and won.
                                    Joe Royle took City to court when he was sacked immediately after the last game of the season (and City relegated) - his pay-off was higher if he was sacked as a “manager of the club in the premier league” and the case was over the semantics of whether club was still in the premier the day the season ended or a week or so later when the FA sorted out the admin.

I think he won actually.

Comment

Ooh, that’s a good one.

It was Antonio Conte that I was thinking of.

Comment

Wednesday fans lining up on the interwebs begging him to apply for the (currently non-vacant) manager's job

Comment

Conte or Royle?

Comment

Don’t think Football is for you if you don’t like shabby treatment of employed people.
                                            Well, sure. But this stands out as odd even by the low, low bar of football generally. As Snake said, why couldn't they wait a week and let him go with a 'thanks, see you around'?

As a manager I think his stock will have gone up by the job he has done at Watford.

If Watford go on and appoint Claudio Ranieri, then who's putting a bet on some surprise champions next season?

Comment

My mate who somehow inherited Pearson's old mobile no. is receiving commiseratory texts.

Comment

Oh, you've mentioned him before. This must be a fun time for him!

Comment

Well, sure. But this stands out as odd even by the low, low bar of football generally. As Snake said, why couldn't they wait a week and let him go with a 'thanks, see you around'?

As a manager I think his stock will have gone up by the job he has done at Watford.

If Watford go on and appoint Claudio Ranieri, then who's putting a bet on some surprise champions next season?
                                                  I imagine the risk of relegation and the subsequent loss of income from what that entails probably outweighs allowing a bloke to run down his contract.

Comment

Based on his spell at Fulham I think I'll give it a miss, thanks.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X