Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Colin's back: managerial changes 2020-21 (and the festering remains of 2019-20)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
    That's not utterly daft really. He did a decent job at Everton. Have we ever seen Allerdici at a top club?
    Why, when is that happening?

Comment

Allardyce won't be Spurs manager until January when they're in the bottom three and Jonathan Woodgate has just been sacked.

Comment

Kenny Jackett is the new Leyton Orient manager.

Comment

not a move that will be shifting season tickets.

Comment

Nuno Espirito Santo has confirmed he is leaving Wolves at the end of the season. Could possibly be taking on the Spurs job?

Comment

Nuno Espirito Santo is leaving Wolves, which is not unexpected given the staleness which has set in.

A tough gig whoever gets that one, they're my strong tip for relegation next time.

Comment

Linked with Bruno Lage of Benfica but apparently he doesn't qualify for a work permit.

I can't see NES going to Spurs.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean of the Shed View Post
                  Kenny Jackett is the new Leyton Orient manager.
                  They should have listened to Phil Collins.

Comment

Originally posted by jwdd27 View Post
                    Nuno Espirito Santo is leaving Wolves, which is not unexpected given the staleness which has set in.

A tough gig whoever gets that one, they're my strong tip for relegation next time.
                    Hmm, this season they had a shorter pre-season which really didn't help, and david luiz broke raul jimenez's skull, and that didn't help either.

Comment

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post

Hmm, this season they had a shorter pre-season which really didn't help, and david luiz broke raul jimenez's skull, and that didn't help either.
                      Yep losing Jimenez pretty much derailed our season along with losing Jonny (twice), along with Boly, Neto and Podence to injury as well.
                      Last edited by jeanmid; 21-05-2021, 19:48.

Comment

And selling Doherty and Jota (you know that, of course).

I have a working theory about Watford's relegation that I think could be applied to Wolves, perhaps not this season but maybe next if they get into trouble. Basically, Watford signed a number of players (Deulofeu, Doucoure, Pereyra, arguably Capoue) who were hoping to use the club as a stepping stone to joining a major club, probably Champions League. But the issue was that the majority of these players, while very good, weren't quite good enough for the big leap. Furthermore, the club were rich enough from TV money that they had no immediate reason to sell and could reject low-ball offers. After Watford reached the FA Cup final and lost it heavily (and bombed out of a 7th finish in the build-up) did the players feel they had reached the peak of where Watford could go, with their collective desire waning as a consequence? I'm not saying they threw in the towel and started sulking, but it might have been one of the factors that lead to our relegation.

Now, obviously Wolves did make Europe in 2019 (taking the 7th place from Watford) and finished 7th again last season. And they have a larger stadium and a greater history of success. But is this 12th-place finish the equivalent of Watford's cup final? I don't especially see Neves, Traore, Neto linked with anyone, but is Wolves where they want to be long-term? Is it where Mendes wants them to be long-term? If there's a fear that Wolves won't challenge for honours but there's no obvious way out, how do the players react?

As I said, it's a theory.

Comment

Originally posted by Lobachevsky View Post
                          not a move that will be shifting season tickets.
                          Jacket seems popular with a number of my Orient supporting friends on Facebook. Fuck knows why.

Comment

Originally posted by Gangster Octopus View Post
                            Jacket seems popular with a number of my Orient supporting friends on Facebook. Fuck knows why.
                            He was fantastic at Millwall.

Comment

Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post
                              Linked with Bruno Lage of Benfica but apparently he doesn't qualify for a work permit.

I can't see NES going to Spurs.
                              Lage would be really out of his depth in the Premiership. He won the title with Benfica, but it wasn't his squad, Rui Vitoria had developed it and that was the season Joao Felix was playing with confidence. However, Lage speaks good English, so that could be his foot in the door.

Also heard Paulo Fonseca's name being mentioned, I'd say that would be a far better choice. They could also choose Rui Vitoria, but I'm fairly sure he doesn't speak English and his big skill is transitioning youth talent into the senior team, which might not be Wolves' main agenda.

Comment

Originally posted by steveeeeeeeee View Post
                                However, Lage speaks good English, so that could be his foot in the door.

Also heard Paulo Fonseca's name being mentioned, I'd say that would be a far better choice. They could also choose Rui Vitoria, but I'm fairly sure he doesn't speak English
                                Interesting idea for a thread...

Comment

Originally posted by JM Footzee View Post
                                  And selling Doherty and Jota (you know that, of course).

I have a working theory about Watford's relegation that I think could be applied to Wolves, perhaps not this season but maybe next if they get into trouble. Basically, Watford signed a number of players (Deulofeu, Doucoure, Pereyra, arguably Capoue) who were hoping to use the club as a stepping stone to joining a major club, probably Champions League. But the issue was that the majority of these players, while very good, weren't quite good enough for the big leap. Furthermore, the club were rich enough from TV money that they had no immediate reason to sell and could reject low-ball offers. After Watford reached the FA Cup final and lost it heavily (and bombed out of a 7th finish in the build-up) did the players feel they had reached the peak of where Watford could go, with their collective desire waning as a consequence? I'm not saying they threw in the towel and started sulking, but it might have been one of the factors that lead to our relegation.

Now, obviously Wolves did make Europe in 2019 (taking the 7th place from Watford) and finished 7th again last season. And they have a larger stadium and a greater history of success. But is this 12th-place finish the equivalent of Watford's cup final? I don't especially see Neves, Traore, Neto linked with anyone, but is Wolves where they want to be long-term? Is it where Mendes wants them to be long-term? If there's a fear that Wolves won't challenge for honours but there's no obvious way out, how do the players react?

As I said, it's a theory.
                                  Hmm, I think there's a fundamental difference between the two. For all their history, and prominence when I first started paying attention to football (I think watford and oxford and charlton are natural top flight teams) Watford are basically a tatty used car lot for the Pozzo stable of players. For all their history and Fourth division status when I started paying attention to football, Wolves are essentially a high end showroom for Jorge mendes players. You have to show a bank statement before getting an appointment for a test drive. The players are better than the ones at watford, and wolves are massively more stable. They appointed a good manager and stuck with him for four years. Their underperformance can almost entirely be explained by their extended 19/20 season, but also serious injuries to key players, which given that Wolves Mostly got to 7th last season by getting something out of most of their tight games last season. It was all fine margin stuff. A relatively small disruption to the forwards and a disruption to the defence was always likely to have a major impact on their results. I don't think it has anything to do with a change in attitude on the part of the players. It's just that if you have to replace Jiminez with Fabio silva, then you're going to struggle.

Comment

Just one day after Christophe Galtier left new French champions Lille, Antonio Conte has stepped down as manager of new Italian champions Inter.

Comment

And if that is the top level managerial merry-go-round then over on the hook-a-duck stall Ross County have just appointed Malky Mackay

Comment

Brilliant phrasing Sean

Comment

Zidane gone.

Comment

Conte gone, maybe heading for Real Madrid or PSG? MP could be returning to Spurs; what could possibly go wrong? (Going back never works, not just at Spurs).

Comment

So we don't think that Conte and ZZ have freed themselves up in hope of a call from Daniel Levy?

Comment

Big Sam to Real?

Comment

Originally posted by tracteurgarcon View Post
                                                  Big Sam to Real?
                                                  Oh don’t be ridiculous. It’ll be Inter.

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post
                                                    So we don't think that Conte and ZZ have freed themselves up in hope of a call from Daniel Levy?
                                                    It could have been a call from Levy saying the PSG job is about to become vacant; get your application in.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X