Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Colin's back: managerial changes 2020-21 (and the festering remains of 2019-20)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/56971722

Voro returns.

Comment

Mourinho to Roma. Bleh, I have (or rather had) a soft spot for Roma

Comment

They might as well have pissed next season straight up the wall.

Comment

Amazing in equal measure that he should still be offered a relatively high level job and that he should still want one.

Comment

He's a narcissist. They don't just disappear.

Comment

He's addicted to the limelight and/or the grift. It's a measure of how low Roma and, by extension, Serie A, has sunk.

Comment

The recent trend in Serie A has been for innovative attack minded coaches like Gasperini, De Zerbi, Juric and and Itlaliano to name but a few. These appointments have all been successes so a throw-back appointment like Mourinho makes little sense. There's also a huge rebuilding to be done so I cannot see any chance of instant success.

Comment

Mourinho is a genius. I am pretty sure he has been effectively been receiving payment for two concurrent manager jobs for the majority of the last ten years.

Comment

Despite getting them into the play-offs, and before they have even taken place, Kieth Hill has been sacked by Tranmere.

Comment

Bradford's joint managers Sellars and Trueman have also been relieved of their duties - a bit of a shame, they were on the edges of the play off picture until the last 3 weeks. Richie Wellens rumoured to be next in line.

Gary Bowyer has returned to his job at Derby youth after his stint at Salford, which was in effect a managerial loan move.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean of the Shed View Post
                        Despite getting them into the play-offs, and before they have even taken place, Kieth Hill has been sacked by Tranmere.
                        Took over this season when they were 13th in the table and also got them to the EFL Trophy final.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean of the Shed View Post
                          Why?

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                            Very on brand

I never liked him anyway

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post

Why?
                              Mark Palios? Speaks for itself...

Comment

Originally posted by MarkF View Post

Mark Palios? Speaks for itself...
                                You’ll have to expand on that.

Anyone who had watched all our games since Wembley, as I have, cannot be surprised he has gone, and that’s before you take his increasingly bizarre press conferences into account, which I was warned about by Bolton and Barnsley fans.

Three wins from thirteen, one thanks to two penalties and one thanks to an own goal, and only nine goals in those games, so six goals in thirteen games we managed ourselves in open play.

I was comfortable with play off failure and giving him another go next season, with fans in the ground, but I’m equally comfortable with a change for the play offs. This season was a wasted opportunity for automatic promotion without doubt.

Comment

Some enterprising snapper has managed to capture Hill at the precise moment he received news of his sacking :

Comment

Stoney End

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/57091581

Comment

Originally posted by Baptiste View Post

You’ll have to expand on that.

Anyone who had watched all our games since Wembley, as I have, cannot be surprised he has gone, and that’s before you take his increasingly bizarre press conferences into account, which I was warned about by Bolton and Barnsley fans.

Three wins from thirteen, one thanks to two penalties and one thanks to an own goal, and only nine goals in those games, so six goals in thirteen games we managed ourselves in open play.

I was comfortable with play off failure and giving him another go next season, with fans in the ground, but I’m equally comfortable with a change for the play offs. This season was a wasted opportunity for automatic promotion without doubt.

On these occasions it’s always good to get the perspective of a fan of the team in question for a more insightful opinion. Rather than the decision itself it was the timing that surprised me but it seems Tranmere fans - or at least those whose reactions I have seen - seem okay with it.

Curiously, the extremely well informed and erudite George Elek made comments on this week’s excellent Not The Top Twenty podcast (made before the sacking) to the effect that he would consider dispensing with Hill and bringing in a stop gap before the playoffs. It surprised me a little as Elek is not one for statements like that.

And, yes, at Rochdale too Hill had a reputation for the ‘quirky’ press conference. Fans then thought he rather played up to it.

Comment

Roy Hodgson has announced that he will retire at the end of the season.

Comment

In news that didn't surprise anyone (given his odds last week were 1-6) Doncaster Rovers announced Richie Wellens as manager yesterday.

A lot of our fans seem incredibly excited by this appointment, I think I am merely whelmed, but looking forward to seeing what he achieves before abandoning us to takeover at a Championship side with an absolute circus off the field in 21 months time.

Comment

This is quite funny. Walsall have appointed Matt Taylor. But there are many Matt Taylors. Enough to confuse the bookmakers anyway:

The Exeter City boss – at the time of writing - was the odds-on favourite at 1/3 with leading bookmakers Sky Bet with Steve Coppell the next favourite at 11/4 and Neil Aspin third favourite at 12/1. There was some confusion as to whether it was the City boss, or the former Portsmouth, Bolton, West Ham United and Burnley man of the same name, who is now coach of Tottenham Hotspur’s Under-18 side. Walsall’s goalkeeping coach is Maik Taylor, the former Northern Ireland international goalkeeper, but Sky Bet moved to clarify which Taylor it was by adding the words ‘current Exeter City manager’ to their betting list. (from Devon Live)

So they made the wrong Matt Taylor the favourite, and now the other Matt Taylor has got the job, and somebody may be losing their job (not Matt Taylor).

Comment

Is Exeter to Walsall really any kind of upgrade for a manager, wages aside possibly?

Comment

You get an unending supply of free biscuits and it's an easy commute from 90 percent of the country.

Comment

Allardyce frees himself up for the Tottenham job.

Comment

That's not utterly daft really. He did a decent job at Everton. Have we ever seen Allerdici at a top club?

Comment

Working...
                                                    X