Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Colin's back: managerial changes 2020-21 (and the festering remains of 2019-20)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Almost certainly correct

He's been quite vocal about never considering Barcelona given his history with Espanyol and quite particular about jobs in general.

Comment

It's clear there's a massive rebuilding job needed at Arsenal. I don't know why people are to down on Solskjaer. He's a game away from Wembley in the league cup, decent position in the league, still in the Champions League. There's every chance he could bring in some silverware this year.

Comment

Man Utd aren't in the CL.

Comment

It may seem a bit BRC entitled, but Solskjaer's tactical screw up during the Champions League group stages pissed me right off with him ( and his backroom team). He's done well recently in the league, so I'm very willing to give him more time.

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post
            Man Utd aren't in the CL.
            Ah yeah. Well ok. Sack the wastrel then.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
              Almost certainly correct

He's been quite vocal about never considering Barcelona given his history with Espanyol and quite particular about jobs in general.
              Thanks, I'd forgotten the Espanyol link.

Comment

With Solksjaer it depends whether you think Man U should be at the same level as Liverpool by now or if Top 4 is good enough. It's subjective.

Comment

Unconfirmed, but normally reliable, rumour that Warburton's gone from QPR

Comment

A dispute over the bread?

Comment

I had to look that up.

Comment

Pulis leaves Sheffield Wednesday after what seems like about 10 minutes.

Comment

Must be close to a record for managerial brevity

Comment

One day more than Clough at Leeds, I think.

Comment

Though wasn't a manager relieved of his role on the day of his appointment recently, to do with a change of ownership?

Comment

Could very well be, but to count surely you have to manage at least one match? Tommy Docherty was QPR's manager for 29 days, but even that is only a club record (I think!)

Comment

I think Bill Lambton's 3 day reign at Scunthorpe in April 1959 still holds the record.

Took over as manager, saw his team beaten 3-0 by Bill Shankly's Huddersfield (Denis Law with a brace) and then decided he didn't fancy it.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
                                    Though wasn't a manager relieved of his role on the day of his appointment recently, to do with a change of ownership?
                                    I think Leroy Rosenior was once manager of Torquay for 10 minutes.

It's rumoured that they are about to appoint Jose Morais, the ex-Barnsley manager. When they do, Wednesday will have had more managers this season than United have points.

Comment

Yes - Rosenior was who I was thinking of, though thirteen years ago is less recent than I thought.

Comment

What Sheffield Wednesday need most is a change of ownership because the current all too typical rich man surrounded by yes men is a narcissistic idiot.

Comment

I find myself in the odd position of having thought that Pulis was a terrible choice of manager, of then having seen a long string of poor results under his management, and yet now he's been fired feeling a lot more respect for him. It's pretty clear that his sacking is as a result of him standing up to Chansiri.

Comment

WTAF???

Yeah, it's been obvious for a while that there's been immediate issues with him and our beloved chairman, meetings not taking place, staff not being appointed, plus there's the ongoing saga of players not being paid for November which still hasn't been resolved and might have prevented us buying in January. He's asked difficult questions and the chairman only wants yes men which Pulis clearly wasn't prepared to be.

Anyway, just fucking sell the club and fuck off, Chansiri.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Beast View Post
                                              What Sheffield Wednesday need most is a change of ownership because the current all too typical rich man surrounded by yes men is a narcissistic idiot.
                                              This seems to be the case.

Comment

Originally posted by jwdd27 View Post

I've done 31 December 1975, and the average then was 43.73, with just four in their 50s (Paisley, Mee, Waddington and Sirrell), four in their 30s (including Terry Neill, 33), and the other 14 in their 40s, of whom just three were over 45.

Listed by final league position in May 1976, age on 31/12/75:

Liverpool - Bob Paisley, 56
                                                QPR - Dave Sexton, 45
                                                Man Utd - Tommy Docherty, 47
                                                Derby - Dave Mackay, 41
                                                Leeds - Jimmy Armfield, 40
                                                Ipswich - Bobby Robson, 42
                                                Leicester - Jimmy Bloomfield, 41
                                                Man City - Tony Book, 40
                                                Spurs - Terry Neill, 33
                                                Norwich - John Bond, 43
                                                Everton - Billy Bingham, 44
                                                Stoke - Tony Waddington, 51
                                                Middlesbrough - Jack Charlton, 40
                                                Coventry - Gordon Milne, 38
                                                Newcastle - Gordon Lee, 41
                                                Aston Villa - Ron Saunders, 43
                                                Arsenal - Bertie Mee, 57
                                                West Ham - John Lyall, 35
                                                Birmingham - Willie Bell, 38
                                                Wolves - Bill McGarry, 48
                                                Burnley - Jimmy Adamson, 46 (replaced Jan 76 by Joe Brown, also 46)
                                                Sheffield Utd - Jimmy Sirrell, 53

OTF death hags like myself will be interested to learn that 7 of them are still alive, with Docherty, 92, being the eldest (Book, Bingham, Neill, Milne, Lee and Bell are the others)
                                                Terry Neill was still only 33 on 31/12/75? That's really surprised me, I'd have put him around 40. Somehow it also seems wrong that Jimmy Armfield and Tony Book are (or were) approximately the same age, though Book was a famously late starter in professional football- wasn't he 28 or something when Man City signed him from non-league, after other clubs had overlooked him because he looked about 35 in his early twenties?
                                                And I wish I'd read this thread before submitting my 2021 dead pool entry, why didn't I think of Tommy Docherty? Ah well, there's always next year...

(edit: jwdd27, you've misled me- I've just looked on wiki, and Tony Book (born 4/9/34) was actually 41 on 31/12/75, and thus he was actually slightly over a year older than Jimmy Armfield (born 21/9/35). That seems even wronger! Book turned pro when he joined Plymouth at 30, moved to Man City at 32 and was nearly 40 when he retired from playing.)
                                                Last edited by 1974ddr; 29-12-2020, 10:04.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Beast View Post
                                                  This is exactly the problem, he's happy with the reflected glory of those occasions when we do well and really likes seeing his name plastered across the North Stand seats (if you've seen us on the telly you'll notice we have no banners up covering seats anywhere) but won't take criticism. Literally everyone who challenges him gets shipped out sooner rather than later. Back on December 14th the supporters trust released a statement including the line "Our belief is that if fans had been at games there would have been clear and visible dissent against the Chairman by now." and how he would react to supporter protests (whenever we're able to actually admit spectators) is a real unknown. He wasn't happy when fans snapped at him after a miserable defeat to Norwich a couple of years back.

There's murmurings this morning about formation of a phoenix club and the like. There's a lot of obstacles to that, but this is a dangerous time for the club to be pissing the fanbase off. There was clear unhappiness even before Covid, the last home game before shutdown was Manchester City in the cup and only 15k of our fans turned up for that (admittedly it was live on the BBC). It's entirely plausible that we'll start next season at home to someone like Fleetwood and there'll only be 13k there, not because of crowd restricitions but because there's no desire to go back.

Comment

Originally posted by 1974ddr View Post

...And I wish I'd read this thread before submitting my 2021 dead pool entry, why didn't I think of Tommy Docherty? Ah well, there's always next year...
                                                    Or not. I almost feel responsible. RIP Doc.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X