Winning league on last day against closest rivals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Drumchapel Dave View Post
    Rangers against Aberdeen in 1991, a 2-0 win at Ibrox with Mark Hateley scoring both. From memory, Aberdeen had a second choice goalkeeper playing and he made a bit of a mess of it. I think Aberdeen would have won the league with a draw.
    Michael Watt, and yes he did make a bit of a mess of it. In his defence he was pretty battered after the ref allowed Mark Hateley to smash into him a couple of times early doors, because Scottish refs.

Comment

Originally posted by caja-dglh View Post
      I am not prepared to accept Hearts - Kilmarnock as an acceptable rivalry.
      I presumed it referred to rivals for the title rather than traditional/local rivals.

Comment

I worked that out some time later. Thanks Ray.

Comment

There would be a greater risk of the last day BRC clash being a dead rubber and losing marquee value, compared to the Super Sunday concept.

I think the rarity before the live TV era (which began before Sky of course)* simply reflects the rarity of a champion not clinching the title before the last day. Multiply that fraction by 1/21 for a 22 team top flight and the mystery disappears.

*Query: did BBC and ITV have as much power as Sky to move their live games?

Comment

Originally posted by blameless View Post

Michael Watt, and yes he did make a bit of a mess of it. In his defence he was pretty battered after the ref allowed Mark Hateley to smash into him a couple of times early doors, because Scottish refs.
            Spot on. Hateley absolutely hammered Watt more than once. A more experienced keeper probably would have handled the situation better. A neutral unbiased ref certainly would have and should made a massive difference, however you didn’t (and still don’t) see many of these in Scottish football.

also Aberdeen manager, Alex Smith, changed the team formation, to a more defensive one, for the Rangers game, knowing that a point would be enough.

Almost 30 years ago and this game still hurts more than any other.

Comment

Not football but Somerset - Essex in the CC last year.

Comment

I've been researching/ messing about on the internet and found more examples:

K League 2013.:

"This match was held in Ulsan. The host needed only one score to win the K-league championship title. The game was equal by 90+4". At this time the drama was happened and Pohang steelers scored a goal in the last minute and won the season!"

Bayern - Schalke 1972:

Ajax - Twente 2011

Last edited by Sporting; 13-06-2020, 11:15.

Comment

I know it's nothing to do with the OP, but on the theme of scheduling fixtures the surprising thing about the Denis Law backheel match was that they scheduled them to play each other on the final Saturday of the season (and what would have been originally expected to be the last game of the season, though it turned out not to be for Manchester United).

Comment

Originally posted by DPDPDPDP View Post

also Aberdeen manager, Alex Smith, changed the team formation, to a more defensive one, for the Rangers game, knowing that a point would be enough.
                    It often seems to end up going badly when a team need only a draw, and aren’t sure whether to stick or twist. I wonder if it’s actually better when only a win will do.

Comment

Dundee United won their one league title by beating Dundee at Dens Park in the last game of the 1982-83 season.

Comment

Originally posted by DPDPDPDP View Post

Spot on. Hateley absolutely hammered Watt more than once. A more experienced keeper probably would have handled the situation better.
                        That reminded me of John Burridge talking about what he was shouting while the teams lining up in the Hampden tunnel before the Hibs v Rangers Skol Cup semi later that year, along the lines of "Hatelely, you come anywhere near my box and I'll smash you in the face". I'd imagine Michael Watt perhaps was a bit more reserved.

EDIT: Having found the video of Budgie's interview, his actual threat was to break Hateley's back.
                        Last edited by Drumchapel Dave; 15-06-2020, 09:30.

Comment

Originally posted by Drumchapel Dave View Post

That reminded me of John Burridge talking about what he was shouting while the teams lining up in the Hampden tunnel before the Hibs v Rangers Skol Cup semi later that year, along the lines of "Hatelely, you come anywhere near my box and I'll smash you in the face". I'd imagine Michael Watt perhaps was a bit more reserved.

EDIT: Having found the video of Budgie's interview, his actual threat was to break Hateley's back.
                          Burridge was a goalkeeping coach with Aberdeen around this time iirc

Comment

Originally posted by steviecowden View Post

Burridge was a goalkeeping coach with Aberdeen around this time iirc
                            The Rangers / Aberdeen game was in May 1991. Burridge played for Hibs between 1991 and 1993. He joined Aberdeen in 1994 and played a few games.

Comment

Originally posted by Belhaven View Post
                              Dundee United won their one league title by beating Dundee at Dens Park in the last game of the 1982-83 season.

Aberdeen should have won the league in 1982 83. United beat them by one point. United beat Aberdeen at Pittodrie 3 days after Aberdeen beat Bayern Munich 3-2 in the ECWC QF to end a long unbeaten league run. Then after beating Waterschei 5-1 in the ECWC SF, 3 days later Aberdeen lost 2-1 to a very poor Rangers team.

having said all that, if we couldn’t win it, I’m glad United did, as opposed to one of the ugly sisters.

Comment

Working...
                              X