• Show
Clear All

Footballers who might be racist

Peter Shi(l)ton

https://twitter.com/peter_shilton/status/1270298098229743628?s=21

Thank heavens goalkeepers have got Nevillle Southall

https://twitter.com/09del11del14/status/1267943487430971398?s=21

Comment

I've ended up watching Shilton's World Cup exploits a few times during lockdown. He was fucking shit, and cost England both games.

In your memory, Germany's free kick loops off Paul Parker and leaves Shilton stranded on his 6 yard line, nothing to be done. No, Shilton was pretty much on his line, all he had to do was get off the ground just a bit and tip it over, or even catch it. It was in the air for a while too, it was an easy save, nice closing down Paul, still 0-0.

And of course, 4 years earlier, was it a 50:50 ball with Maradona? No, it was 80:20 in favour of Shilton, all he had to do was get off the ground and use his 6 inch height advantage and his ability to handle the ball straight armed rather than disguising it as a header. Whoops, OK Stevie Hodge, that's ballooned up a bit, never mind, I'll punch it clear, or I can probably catch it over this shortarse's head. Still 0-0, let's bring John Barnes on.... Didn't get close.

I don't remember there being any noise at the time about how poor Shilton was on both those goals, but there should have been.

And he's a thick racist fucker too "for a mob to destruct it".

Comment

Originally posted by jwdd27 View Post
        I've ended up watching Shilton's World Cup exploits a few times during lockdown. He was fucking shit, and cost England both games.
        Let's not forget the home game vs Poland where he dives over the ball for the Polish goal that basically costs England a place in the '74 Finals. Norman Hunter was vilified for his error, Shilton got off lightly.

Comment

Salva Ballesta (retired)

Comment

Not sure you can claim he’s racist when he’s clearly said slavery was bad, lads.

Comment

Originally posted by Jumbo McGinnis View Post
              Not sure you can claim he’s racist when he’s clearly said slavery was bad, lads.
              Unfortunately this is the way of the World board now and seems to be infiltrating the football board.

it's just a series of posts that are barely relevant tweets with either no comment, or a single hysterical sentence.

Comment

Shilton was a selfish sod as well, refusing to give up his place for the 3rd place playoff against Italy so that either Chris Woods or Dave Beasant might actually get a World Cup cap.

This tickled me by the way:

Comment

Shilton is probably just thick as four-day-old porridge. He needs a PA or an adviser for this stuff.

One who might perhaps tell him not to pay heed to that gurning arsetrumpet Farage.

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
                    gurning arsetrumpet Farage.
                    Ooh, I must remember that one Jah.

Comment

I think I picked up the expression 'arsetrumpet' from here, tbh.

It's satisfactorily both demeaning and lampooning at the same time.

Comment

Originally posted by jwdd27 View Post

I don't remember there being any noise at the time about how poor Shilton was on both those goals, but there should have been.
                        Maybe not so much in the mainstream media, but my group of friends alway held him responsible. The hand of god would never have happened had Shilton flattened the little $hit.

Comment

It's a bit poor to conflate Shilts the racist with Shilts the supposedly crap keeper. The latter he most definitely was not.

Comment

Peter Beardsley has famously had some troubles with the 'foreign lads'.

Comment

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Beardsley

Comment

He's another that I'd file under 'probably too dim to think properly about what he's saying'.

(Which obviously is still completely unacceptable.)

Comment

I just want to say that what was a distinctly unpromising thread has been brightened up immeasurably by Simon G's newspaper story which I've laughed out loud and long at multiple times this morning.

Comment

Title edited to something more lawyer friendly.

Comment

Originally posted by Simon G View Post
                                      Shilton was a selfish sod as well, refusing to give up his place for the 3rd place playoff against Italy so that either Chris Woods or Dave Beasant might actually get a World Cup cap.
                                      Shilton may well have been selfish but why blame him for Robson's team selection?

Comment

I listened to David Beasant on the Quickly Kevin podcast a few weeks back and he said something along the lines of Robson was going to play one of them and mentioned to Shilton about it, Shilton then gave a huge sob story about how it would be his last international game, his 125th cap which was an English record (although he had the record anyway, so I didn't get this point) and basically guilt-tripped Robson into playing him.

Obviously, Robson could have stood his ground and overruled Shilton, but I suspect he didn't care all that much with it being his last game in charge.

Comment

Wasn't there a small exchange here once about a player from Uruguay racially abusing an African player from France, and a whole team wore T-shirts in support of the racial abuser? Vague memories...

Comment

There was also some self-entitled former England international who racially-abused another PL player and somehow got away with it in court, if not from the FA.

And was subsequently rewarded by his club for these efforts with the captain's armband.

Comment

Stuart Pearce.

Comment

Perhaps best lock this thread now, it's not going to be edifying (not particularly a response to EIM's post but the two prior looking to regurgitate very old and well-worn stramashes).

Comment

If it does get locked, we need to preserve that newspaper clip in a suitable place of honour

Magisterial

Comment

Working...
                                                  X