No announcement yet.

World Cup 66

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nothing significant enough to have required a piece in Le Monde.

Comment

L'Association Internationale de la Presse Sportive [The International Association of the Sporting Press], based in Paris, had reached "explosion point", over poor conditions for foreign journalists covering the finals.
      Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 04-06-2020, 19:54.

Comment

No wonder it didn't make le Monde

Comment

Found it. Explosion is used metaphorically to refer to some complaints from the International Organisation of the Sporting Press, from its Paris office, regarding "the deplorable incidents in London" (inadequate press facilities).

Comment

I noted in my original post that I was shocked about the fouls that did not earn a card. Some were vicious fouls as I mentioned, and has been discussed since, but others were explicit, tactical handling of the ball to stop a break away. The refs never issued cards for those fouls. Now that's a card every time.

Comment

Going back to your original post, football does look very different in the sixties to the seventies. For instance the two manchester clubs played a form of passing football that looks an awful lot more like football in this decade, than football in the next three decades. I was watching a bunch of games featuring that bell, lee summerbee city team, and it's striking how modern they look. Don't get me wrong there's still lots of 'manly' defending, but it's not the primary means of winning the game.

But you don't have to go back to the seventies to see ultra violence. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5oGtIAZHyk Check out Portugal 2-2 England from Euro 2004. There were only six bookings in this game. It's a non stop compilation of shithousery. Portugal again remind us that they are to football what Ireland is to corporate tax, or what belgium is to colonialism. Gerrard should have got a straight red for hacking deco down from behind. Phil Neville commits a terrible foul on Ronaldo, who takes so many fouls from ashley cole that at the 11.50 mark, he Kung fu kicks him in the head. he wasn't one of the six yellow cards. (BTW it's easy to forget just how brilliant the Michael Owen goal in that game is, but the Rui Costa goal is amazing. A zero-backlift piledriver that no-one expected or saw)

The games between the Netherlands and France, and the netherlands and italy in euro 2008 in particular are masterpieces of the art. Between these games and the games between the netherlands and portugal in 2006, we should really have seen the 2010 dutch team coming down the tracks.That channel btw is a great collection of that type of match. Every single one of those matches is an argument for VAR.

It's also worth having a look at England 0-0 Spain from euro 96, and the England 1-1 germany from euro 96 to see some of the most spectacular home town refereeing you'll ever see. The first of those games is every bit as badly reffed as South korea 0-0 Spain from 2002.
              Last edited by The Awesome Berbaslug!!!; 05-06-2020, 22:59.

Comment

All the great English champions of modern times had shithousery and great passing in one team. I can't think of any exceptions. You can have your own ranking of which team was the most beautiful or most shithouse but all teams had some of both.

Maybe the "nearly" teams like QPR 1976 lacked a bit of shithouse.

European Cup is pretty much the same. I think Cruyff started the trend of pestering the ref.

Franny Lee took diving to a new level. Nobby Stiles would have to totally remodel his game today or he'd be off before half-time every week.

Comment

All successful teams had loads of shithousery, because all teams were into it. Even the ones that were less into it than the others, were way more into it than even the shithousiest team of today. It would have been unavoidable, as part of the general culture of shithousery. I don't know if people are really aware at the time, because it's just normal. People also like it. Not because they watch every match and go "I'm really looking forward to seeing my team commit loads of sneaky fouls and get away with murder because the ref doesn't see it/ we're playing at home/ our players are too famous to punish/Everyone is at it". It's just that people like things that remind them of when they are young, and no matter what age you are, there was more shithousery when you were young.

Comment

By the way, did anyone watch this final on Channel 4 yesterday?

It's barely recognisable as professional football. The game basically hinges on Geoff Hurst knocking the German goalkeeper unconscious with a coward's challenge, (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eh0F6nX8G8c ) it;s at about 14.50 in the link. The closest thing I can compare it to is schumacher's 'tackle' on battiston, and Tilkowski is limp before he hits the ground. In his interview with Gabby yorath during the coverage he says that it softened up the keeper. and helped with the first goal. The poor cunt was standing on the line, and probably able to hear his mother's voice. I think you can see him slurring "Mutti, Mutti I'll be back soon. Next goal wins Mutti"

Also that ball never went anywhere near crossing the line and hunt celebrated because he misjudged the bounce and couldn't knock it into the net.

Comment

Bless.

Comment

Comment

He's unconscious before he hits the ground. There's no honour in this. Why is Schumacher a villain, while Hurst is a hero?

Comment

Because Battiston was hospitalized for several weeks and out of the game for at least six months?

Comment

we know about one half of that equation, but there are two halves.

Comment

That, I'm afraid, was the game back then.

The 1966 World Cup was something of a bloodbath all round. If we're constantly going to re-referee that final from a modern perspective, then we're gonna need to do the same with the matches that led to it (ie, all of them - plus the qualifiers).

Comment

I don't know what that first picture is, but it isn't Hurst. Compare the socks (of both teams) and advertising hoardings with the second image which clearly is the final.

Comment

It looks like the Switzerland game at Hillsborough. The challenge could be the one on about 9 minutes here:

Comment

This is better. Just after 2:45.

Comment

Originally posted by longeared View Post
                                        I don't know what that first picture is, but it isn't Hurst. Compare the socks (of both teams) and advertising hoardings with the second image which clearly is the final.
                                        Yes, I was looking at that thinking a) that's not Geoff Hurst and b) That's not Wembley.

Comment

Great spot Capybara, that's the one. The forward has rolled-up sleeves in the photo, too, and you can see them in that clip.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                                            Because Battiston was hospitalized for several weeks and out of the game for at least six months?
                                            No, Schumacher was a villain pretty much instantly, before the extent of Battiston's injuries were even clear.

I think there were a number of reasons for that: the absurd foul, obviously; the panic of the French players; the occasion; the unfairness of the fact that Schumacher went on to save two penalties and win the game for a West-Germany side that was pretty despicable; Schumacher's uninterested, gumchewing demeanour as Battiston was treated on the pitch (though he has given a rational explanation for that)... The stupid "I'll pay for his crowns" comment and the extent of Battiston's injuries just entrenched the villainy.

The foul itself was really bad even for its day, but not uniquely so.

Comment

Originally posted by Capybara View Post
                                              It looks like the Switzerland game at Hillsborough.
                                              Which rather goes to show what a rough-house tournament it was all-told. Add Uruguay's behaviour in the semi final vs W Germany, Pele's treatment at the hands (well, feet) of Bulgaria and Portugal and a host of other misdemeanours throughout - and you've quite a stew.

Comment

Originally posted by G-Man View Post
                                                Schumacher's uninterested, gumchewing demeanour as Battiston was treated on the pitch (though he has given a rational explanation for that)
                                                What explanation was this?

Comment

He said he was afraid the French players were going to fuck him up. Which they probably would have loved to do. Whether that is true, nobody but Schumacher knows. But it's an explicable explanation.

Comment

Contemporary reports suggest that Brazil also dished out some thuggery v Portugal, but that would have been a case of kicking before being kicked, I guess.

The 1970 Brazil v Uruguay SF has an infamous compilation of thuggery:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-Rme4mmPm4

Comment

Working...
                                                    X