World Cup 66

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sw2borshch View Post

I note I also made a typo when I referenced Joker Park.
    Oh that is fine. As is Stadium of Shite.

Comment

Michael Elphick! WC cameraman? Surely not?

Comment

Originally posted by ale View Post

Oh that is fine. As is Stadium of Shite.
        What on Earth was Murray thinking?

Comment

Originally posted by Capybara View Post
          It was Hugh Johns, wasn't it?
          Yes, my apologies. I’m always transposing those guys - not sure why, must be something to do with my early Big Match memories..

Comment

Originally posted by White No Sugar View Post
            Michael Elphick! WC cameraman? Surely not?
            It was a boon for the organisers.

Comment

Originally posted by lambers View Post

I'm surprised by that too. I remember some years ago (I'm thinking early 2000s, but possibly late 90s) that ITV broadcast the full 120 minutes in colour. So the footage must surely be around somewhere.
              Channel 4 are showing the final this Sunday, and apparently:

The broadcast will be in black and white, but additional colour footage from the day will be added.

This includes The Queen greeting the football teams on the big day.

Comment

"The queen, there, smiling through her disappointment" etc

Comment

Several trophies for her boys since, though.

Comment

I have been spectacularly wrong on many issues related to football but my peak wrongness was thinking banning the backpass was an overreaction to 1990. It was indeed the best rule change of my lifetime, so far.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Ethan View Post
                      I have been spectacularly wrong on many issues related to football but my peak wrongness was thinking banning the backpass was an overreaction to 1990. It was indeed the best rule change of my lifetime, so far.

Comment

Originally posted by elguapo4 View Post
                        One thing about the backpass rule was it quickly sorted out who was good with the ball at their feet. Packie Bonner and Dave Beasant were two who struggled to adapt IIRC.

Comment

I used to think that the backpass rule was the best thing to ever happen to football. But Having spent a lot of my time working my way through the stockpile of 70's and 80's football on Youtube, I've started to come around to thinking that the banning of the tackle from behind was even better. I'm also seeing a lot of the merits for automatic yellow cards for "tactical fouls."

Comment

Having lived through that period, I would very much agree.

Another factor that is often overlooked is the massive improvement in the quality of pitches, particularly in the UK

Comment

haha, god yeah. It's actually difficult to work out what is the primary driver for the ball being in the air so much. Is it because the pitch is a rutted swamp, is it because the ball can't be cynically fouled as it makes its way up the pitch, or is it because it gives the forward a decent chance to hit the defender first as opposed to standing there waiting for the ball to be played into their feet.

I wonder to what extent is this driven by the general across the board collapse in incidents of violence in society as a whole?

Comment

I think some of it has to do with players being considered expensive assets rather than indentured servants. When you're paying players a lot of money you want them on the pitch as much as possible.

Comment

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post

I used to think that the backpass rule was the best thing to ever happen to football. But Having spent a lot of my time working my way through the stockpile of 70's and 80's football on Youtube, I've started to come around to thinking that the banning of the tackle from behind was even better. I'm also seeing a lot of the merits for automatic yellow cards for "tactical fouls."
                                  Fair points all. I think you've mentioned it previously, but aside from rule changes the most significant development in football in recent times has been the standard of pitches, presumably through the use of various emerging technologies in undersoil heating, grass/hybrid combos etc.

Comment

Fair points all. I think you've mentioned it previously, but aside from rule changes the most significant development in football in recent times has been the standard of pitches, presumably through the use of various emerging technologies in undersoil heating, grass/hybrid combos etc.
                                    And not just at the top level, but at youth level. The last time I was down in Cahir, I took a walk past the Cahir park pitches, which was an old cricket pitch set in parkland, that is split into two. One half was the main pitch, the other half was for training. The main pitch was flat as a pancake, rarely used, and the best surface outside of maybe Turners Cross in cork (Cork City's ground) We only played matches on that though which is why it was in good nick. We trained on the other half, and it was a swampy mess. Now it's an all weather pitch, so robust that they make a few quid by letting the GAA club train on it. The GAA have to train on this pitch from time to time, because the advent of these all weather pitches has helped foster an explosion in Girls GAA and soccer, and there are exactly twice as many teams as there used to be, and the all weather pitches on the other side of town aren't enough. With one key difference. There are posters of the Girls's teams all over town because they win a lot of things at a national level.

I think if you add all of these things together you begin to see why everyone was so impressed by maradona. None of this seemed to matter to him. He was able to do what he did even though the pitch was a rutted swamp, opponents could just scythe him down, and when he got past you, you could have another go at chopping him down from behind. He was basically the wing walker of the 1980's.

Comment

Originally posted by elguapo4 View Post
                                      One thing about the backpass rule was it quickly sorted out who was good with the ball at their feet. Packie Bonner and Dave Beasant were two who struggled to adapt IIRC.
                                      At the '94 World Cup, Bonner wasn't all that great with his hands...

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
                                        At the '94 World Cup, Bonner wasn't all that great with his hands...
                                        Don't fucking remind me, he probably could have done better with Donadoni's initial shot against Italy in Italia 90 as well.

Comment

Yeah, 'twas a shame for him - especially having stopped Timofte's pen so dramatically.

Comment

The swerve and power on that Donadoni shot caught him off balance. Playing in the heat and humidity of orlando is not good for your brain. I'm surprised that Ireland only made two horrendous defensive errors in that game.

Comment

I'm currently re reading a book I got as a gift a few years ago, The Heyday of the Footbal Annual, and by coincidence it's reached the 1966 World Cup. There's a great quote from the brilliantly named Kenneth Wolstenhome's boy's book of the World Cup that says that the organisers were worried that the attendance at Brazil v Bulgaria would be affected by the Orange Order parade in Southport the same day. It also says that St James Park was unavailable because Newcastle council couldn't guarantee the lease. The author claims that after the final, Geoff Hurst went home and washed his car but I've seen photos in Nobby Stiles autobiography that shows that up for a lie.

Comment

The St James' story was in The Guardian, 16.7.66, with info on other grounds. Attendances in the North East were affected by Scotland's failure to qualify:

Comment

Middlesbrough, twice as far from Sunderland as Newcastle
                                                  Looks like Louise Taylor's been around longer than we thought.

Comment

What was the explosion in Paris?

Comment

Working...
                                                    X