No announcement yet.

Fitba: You may very well go bust, but that is a risk I am prepared to take

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bizarrely, an advert appeared on my Facebook and it was Celtic’s players returning to training and I’m confused by it. Their league campaign has ended and they’re out of Europe, is the Scottish Cup likely to resume then?

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post

I'm not really that knowledgeable about how it is in Scotland but if this phenomenon is worse there than it is in Romania, say, or Turkey, I'll be utterly shocked.
      I had to look this up but since 2008-9 there have been six different champions in Romania, and four in Turkey. Not brilliant but a lot more variety than in Scotland. Mind you, that's titles. Not sure about support.

Comment

But the complaint was about people supporting the "big teams". That's a huge problem in Romania, for example, where over 50% of fans in the whole country identify as Steaua fans, and in turkey where it seems to me that the vast majority of people support one of the big 3 Istanbul teams.

Comment

Yeah, I get that now.

Comment

For those of you who like your stats, here is a guide to football club support by provinces in Spain. It's in Spanish but shouldn't be too difficult to navigate:

https://www.jotdown.es/2014/09/mapa-...utbol-espanol/

Comment

Italy and Greece are additional notable examples

Indeed, I would argue that the "big club" model is rather more prominent than that of support for one's "local" club
              Last edited by ursus arctos; 12-06-2020, 11:54.

Comment

Originally posted by DPDPDPDP View Post

Agreed, but Imo it’s a far, far bigger issue in Scotland than it is in other countries.

The average attendances for 2019/20 don't imply there's a far, far bigger issue. I've round the figures to the nearest thousand.

Celtic : 58K
                Rangers 49K
                Hearts : 17K
                Hibs : 17K
                Aberdeen : 14K

Benfica : 52K
                Porto : 36K
                Sporting 30K
                Vitoria Guimaraes 17K
                Boavista 12K

Young Boys 27K
                Basel 22K
                St Gallen 14K
                Luzern 9K
                Zurich 9K
                Last edited by Stobart; 12-06-2020, 13:34.

Comment

In Scotland, in the last 55 years, only 4 teams have won the league. Celtic, Rangers, Aberdeen (3 times), Dundee United (once).

Aberdeen won the league in 1984/85, every year since then the league has been won by Rangers or Celtic.

Also, in current years, UEFA have made the imbalance worse with their huge rewards, effectively for failure. A couple of seasons ago, Celtic won 1 game out of 6 in the CL group stages, got parachuted into Europa League, won a couple of matches and received €40m or so.

Comment

Only five clubs have won the Portuguese title since the league was formed in 1935.

And two of those (Beleneses and Boavista) have only won it once.

Every title since 2002 has been won by either Benfica or Porto.

Comment

Only 9 champions in Spain.

I wonder which is the most "democratic" league, whether in absolute numbers or expressed in percentage terms.

Comment

Of the most prominent, likely England or France (St. Etienne with most titles in professional era (since 1932) with only ten, almost 20 different winners).

Comment

Between the last of Shamrock Rovers 4 league titles in a row in 1986/87 and the first of Dundalk's 5 wins in the last six seasons in 2014, 9 different clubs won the league, and it was only retained 3 times.

Comment

Between 1970 and 2006 in Romania there were 5 different champions
                            Since 2006 (when the name of the league was changed) there have been 7, of whom 5 won it for the first time in their history

Comment

Some other data points (in each case since the advent of a professional league, with that year in brackets)

Germany/West Germany (1963/64) Twelve different champions; Bayern with 28 ahead of Gladbach and Dortmund with five each.

Netherlands (1954/55): Ten different champions; Ajax with 26, only Ajax, PSV and Feyenoord have more than 2 titles (AZ has 2).

Belgium (1894/5): Sixteen different champions; Anderlecht with 34, of the seven clubs with 5 or more titles, only three are still in the top flight, with three others either being amateur or defunct.

Italy (1929/30): Twelve different champions; Juve with 33, Inter 16, Milan 15 (Roma were the last team other than one of those three to win Serie A (in 2000/01).

Greece (1958/59): Five different champions; Olympiakos with 30 (PAOK three, Larissa one) Between Larissa in 87/88 and PAOK in 2018/19 only Olympiakos, Panathinaikos and AEK won the league

Turkey (1959): Five different champions: Galatasaray 21. Trabzonspor (six) and Bursaspor (one) are the only non-Istanbul teams ever to win the title. Bursaspor the only non "big three" winner since 1984.
                              Last edited by ursus arctos; 12-06-2020, 17:19.

Comment

Originally posted by Stobart View Post

The average attendances for 2019/20 don't imply there's a far, far bigger issue. I've round the figures to the nearest thousand.

Celtic : 58K
                                Rangers 49K
                                Hearts : 17K
                                Hibs : 17K
                                Aberdeen : 14K

Benfica : 52K
                                Porto : 36K
                                Sporting 30K
                                Vitoria Guimaraes 17K
                                Boavista 12K

Young Boys 27K
                                Basel 22K
                                St Gallen 14K
                                Luzern 9K
                                Zurich 9K
                                Attendances don’t tell the whole story though. I don’t have the exact number but Celtic’s turnover Is more than 10 times that of Aberdeen’s. The biggest differential is not from attendances but from UEFA’s ridiculous rewards and even more ridiculous qualifying criteria for CL and EL, which allow the bigger leagues to become ever bigger and stronger than the smaller leagues and also allows bigger clubs in the smaller leagues to become bigger and stronger than their domestic rivals. Thus UEFA, more Than anything else, is responsible for ensuring less competitiveness both in terms of domestic leagues and even more so less competitiveness between teams from the bigger leagues versus team from the smaller leagues - and the reduced competitiveness In both is only going to get worse and worse with every passing season,

Comment

I think that's a very succinct summary of exactly what UEFA hoped to achieve through the changes they made to their competitions in the last twenty years or so. I'm sure someone somewhere got a bonus. Probably in a brown envelope.

Comment

Working...
                                  X