• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

England, AET

Comment

England

Comment

Echoing Cal- England, AET. To tell the truth I've never been a big fan of the Brazil kit, it's a bit of a mish-mash. Now the actual team, back in 1970, was something else. But this time they don't get to leave England baking in the sun at half time, and that just gives England the strength to nick it.

Comment

Close run thing but I love that England kit

Comment

England in red shirts. Yes please.

Comment

As others have suggested, Peru would have been strong contenders if they'd only won a World Cup. Scope for a OTF World Cup of FIFA World Cup Non-Winning Kits? There'd have to be some sort of pre-qualification process; nominations on a postcard? Peru 1970, Netherlands 1974 and Denmark 1986 for me, plus any others I may think of later.

Comment

England. Because it's so much much better than any other kit they've ever worn.

The magic of the Brazil kit has been tarnished by their general stinking out of World Cups since 1986. Come to think of it they were bloody awful in 1974 as well.

That 1970 kit is only wonderful because of the team that actually wore it. If you look at it objectively, it's a bit of a hotchpotch really.

Comment

Exactly!

Comment

Brazil

Comment

England

Comment

England

Even the shade of red is perfect. Has there been a single better international goalkeeper kit than the one Banks is wearing?

Comment

Brazil - It's so much more than just chucking on a single coloured shirt. Except for the three lions England could be any red club but Brazil is Brazil.

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Casper View Post
                            England

Even the shade of red is perfect. Has there been a single better international goalkeeper kit than the one Banks is wearing?
                            Surely...?

Comment

England

Comment

Brazil

Comment

My vote is for Brazil, I prefer yellow to red, and some trimmings to no trimmings.

And responding to a few other things:

jwdd27 : I wasn't planning on a third place play-off, but you might have tempted me to do that, but I fancy adding the wrinkle of a four-way fight, including the second placers from the finalists' groups, just to mix things up for the game that no-one wants to be in!

Rogin the Armchair fan : good spot on the socks in that Peru picture, I completely missed that. I wonder what possessed them to change from white to... dirty white?

1974ddr : as mentioned way back at the start of the thread, I was considering some wider scope competitions if this one was a success. I think there's been good engagement, so I will probably follow through on that. Nominations will be needed, but exact mechanics to be worked out.

Comment

Brazil

Comment

Brazil.

And if we'll do non-winners' kits, Brazil '82 will be a real contender.

Comment

Nice, but not that dissimilar to 1970 really?
                                        As regards a 'non-winners' competition, the way I was thinking of it was to pick 'best' kits from countries that had never won the World Cup and were thus ineligible for this competition. So as I said in the earlier post, I'd be looking at countries such as Peru, Netherlands and Denmark, etc, etc, etc. Croatia 1998 would be another strong contender. Tough to come up with just sixteen even when former winners are excluded.

Comment

I was thinking of opening it up to all international kits, rather than just World Cup, so could include kits for qualification tournaments, or even things like CONIFA.

I reckon there could be some allowances for countries that have appeared here to have another chance, particularly those such as Spain which had to enter an awful change kit. But there will need to be some sort of criteria to avoid kit duplication, for instance if that rule was in place this tournament, Italy 34 and 38 would be one entry as although the shade did change a little, it wasn't a significant amount, but you could certainly argue that the 2006 kit was markedly different (albeit crap). That demarcation line will be a tough one to quantify (I think Brazil 82 would fall foul of that), but hopefully common sense will prevail and no-one on OTF will resort to excessive lawyering...?

Comment

I can't decide between the two. It's a draw.

Comment

I feel treacherous voting for it, but Brazil takes it for me (sorry England).

Comment

Originally posted by lambers View Post
                                                I was thinking of opening it up to all international kits, rather than just World Cup, so could include kits for qualification tournaments, or even things like CONIFA.

I reckon there could be some allowances for countries that have appeared here to have another chance, particularly those such as Spain which had to enter an awful change kit. But there will need to be some sort of criteria to avoid kit duplication, for instance if that rule was in place this tournament, Italy 34 and 38 would be one entry as although the shade did change a little, it wasn't a significant amount, but you could certainly argue that the 2006 kit was markedly different (albeit crap). That demarcation line will be a tough one to quantify (I think Brazil 82 would fall foul of that), but hopefully common sense will prevail and no-one on OTF will resort to excessive lawyering...?
                                                Surely you go with Seonoftheshed's rules for his Champions League thingy the other month? Each poster is able to nominate one kit, and one kit only, and that nomination alone is enough to get the kit into the tournament. Each poster is also able to second a previously nominated kit, and on that basis is the seeding determined.

Brazil, by the way

Comment

I'll second that suggestion. Subject to the 'no duplication' rule as outlined above. On pitch referee's (in this case, lambers's) decision to be final. No VAR.

Comment

Originally posted by pebblethefish View Post
                                                    Surely you go with Seonoftheshed's rules for his Champions League thingy the other month? Each poster is able to nominate one kit, and one kit only, and that nomination alone is enough to get the kit into the tournament. Each poster is also able to second a previously nominated kit, and on that basis is the seeding determined.
                                                    Good point, I remember that now you mention it and it seemed to work well.

I'm not overly keen on seeding, having a few early "big matches" always livens a tournament up in my opinion, as can ties between two relative minnows.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X