Southend Utd 4-3 Derby County
    Stoke City 2-2 Luton Town
    Tranmere Rovers 1-2 Birmingham City
    Wolverhampton Wanderers 1-1 Leicester City

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Was this date chosen especially for Greenlander Rarely are such long away trips so well rewarded.

Comment

I think they lost in the play-offs, though, if memory serves.

Comment

Originally posted by pebblethefish View Post
                Was this date chosen especially for Guest Rarely are such long away trips so well rewarded.
                It was mostly chosen as many seasons had already completed by this point in the year. The automatic promotion places had already been decided, but every division had a final day drama with regard to relegation, with teams switching places in the relegation zones of three of the four divisions (it didn't matter in the end in the fourth tier as Kiddy were refused promotion from the Conference), and in the second tier West Brom, Birmingham and Oxford all won on the final day, which meant Baggies survived.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Orange View Post
                  I think they lost in the play-offs, though, if memory serves.
                  They did, to eventual winners Burnley.

Comment

I was at university in Exeter and so was following Ipswich's attempts to avoid relegation on the radio. My girlfriend - who was at uni in Hull - was visiting me that weekend. Her family were all Sheffield United supporters, so she also had an interest in proceedings.

Things were going fine while Everton were busy digging their own grave at home to Wimbledon, but after they turned things round thanks to some tremendous performances from Anders Limpar, gravity and Hans Segers, it was getting tense back in my little room in Devon. With Everton ahead and Sheffield United level at Chelsea, Ipswich were for the drop. But then news came through that Mark Stein had scored in the 90th minute for Chelsea and the Blades were down.

I was delighted, of course, but was magnanimous enough to offer my girlfriend a patronising cuddle of consolation. She pushed me away. It made for an awkward evening.

26 years on, we're still together, so I guess she forgave me at some point.

Comment

I was at that Bradford v Cardiff match. Some halfwit just in front of me in the away end starting waving his lighter around during a minute's silence for victims of the fire (as it was the closest match to the anniversary) and got a well-deserved smack from a near neighbour.

I remember Dean Richards playing for Bradford and, while still in his teens, being clearly so far ahead of the rest of the players on the pitch you almost felt embarrassed for them. A life and career cut horribly short.

To lift the mood of this reminisce a little, I also had one of the best curries I've ever for lunch prior to the match. I can't remember exactly what it was but I think it was a Mughal dish with a whole egg cooked in to it with the meat.

Comment

Originally posted by pebblethefish View Post
                        Was this date chosen especially for Greenlander Rarely are such long away trips so well rewarded.
                        It was the biggest squib of a victory ever because even as we racked up goals it became apparent that Brighton weren't going to do us the favour needed against Port Vale.

Hartlepool were rank, I don't think they'd been paid much over the last couple of months so weren't much up for it though we were ruthless that day too. When they got their consolation at 6-0, Alan Nicholls went berserk screaming 'fuck off' into the Pools scorers face. Which is, from this remove, the highlight of the match.

Also memorable for the cheap beers in a grim social club near the ground where we were acosted by a bloke with swastika tattoos.

As for the playoffs, the less said. Burnley did us good and proper.

Comment

Possibly my favourite ever season, up until the home leg of the playoffs. Without doubt the most exciting football I've ever witnessed from an Argyle team and some of my most memorable away trips.

Comment

Before Bury’s dalliances with relegation from the basement in 05/06 and 06/07, this season was always the high watermark of crap as the season descended into nothingness. Yet we also had some really good results. We stuck five past Darlo and Hereford at home, four past Donny at home and Crewe away and three past Wigan. By the end though it was dreadful. We played Gillingham on a Tuesday night when only two sides of the ground were open and there were less than two thousand on. It finished 0-0 and is the most mediocre game I’ve ever seen. Imagine travelling up from Kent for that.

Comment

I was at the Shrewsbury v Wigan match. Almost everyone ran onto the pitch at the end to celebrate but I stood on the Wakeman End terrace and just watched the crowd. I was about to sit my A levels and somehow I knew I wouldn't be in Shrewsbury much longer.

Years later when Wigan were a Premier League team my Dad would go on about how "we left them behind in the fourth division when we got promoted and look at them now". He always said it as if Shrewsbury could have continued up the leagues and become a Premier League team as well.

Comment

I was at Charlton and the game is memorable for all kinds of reasons. Lennie Lawrence had left a few days earlier and rumours were flying around about who the next manager would be. The late John Pickering won his only game as Boro manager. A John Hendrie hat-trick made it an entertaining end to a very average season. And from a personal point of view it was my first visit to the Valley. Plus, I'd moved to London, to where I am now, the previous month, and this was the first Boro game in London since the move. This was before they extended half-time breaks and I was home before 6pm, something that I'd not done since the 60s. Charlton v Boro in March is currently the last match both clubs have played.

Comment

Oh gawd this was *that* game, wasn't it? Least said, soonest mended.

Comment

Wednesday managed a meaningless draw in Roland Nilsson's final game for us and ... oh, fuck it, let's do the main feature of the day which was the Blades getting relegated thanks to them going chasing a late winner they didn't need and then conceding in the last minute thanks to Glenn Hoddle's assist ("never noted for his penalty area heading skills" remarked the local paper on the Monday) and Mark Stein squeezing a shot in at the post. They were winning until about ten minutes from the end and all. Plus there was that, erm, interesting, game at Everton that also contributed to matters. United have only had two seasons in the Premier League since, one where they (hilariously but unfairly) got relegated thanks to the questionable ownership of Carlos Tevez and the current one where all their efforts will likely be for nothing.

Comment

The second Saturday in a row that we've done a week when Norwich played Oldham in a dead rubber game, neither of which I went to (I was back at uni and following the Everton mayhem on the radio).

At least I think it was dead rubber. It definitely was for us given that the UEFA Cup team was breaking up. Two wins in nineteen games under the terminally dour John Deehan told us where the future was heading.

But I suspect Oldham weren't technically down. Possibly one of those situations where they needed an unlikely set of results and a sizeable victory. They did in fact go in front, but by the end of the afternoon their Premier League, and glory days, were over.

Comment

Originally posted by TonTon View Post
                                        Oh gawd this was *that* game, wasn't it? Least said, soonest mended.
                                        They replayed the highlights on Match of the Day a couple of weeks ago. Everton were so lucky that day and everything seemed to fall for them after they went two down. A ridiculous game.

Comment

I have no recollection of Brentford's defeat to Huddersfield. In fact I have no recollection of the entire season as I was playing at the time. A 16th place finish including 19 draws suggests that I didn't miss much.

What I do recall is that the following season we finished second but did not get promoted due to the league reorganisation.

Comment

From the Villa website:
                                            'On this day in 1994, Villa Park’s famous Holte End was used as a terrace for the final time.
                                            There was a carnival mood as 19,210 supporters – each of whom received a certificate to mark the occasion – stood on the Holte to watch the last home game of the season against Liverpool. Appropriately all three goals were scored at that end, Dwight Yorke’s second-half brace giving Villa a 2-1 win after the visitors had led through Robbie Fowler at the interval.'

Well I was there, and I never got a certificate. People were tearing all sorts of bits off the stand, and I remember seeing one bloke walking home with a toilet door. The Liverpool fans were going mental at half time with Everton two down, I think they'd have preferred Everton going down to winning another championship themselves. Alas, not to be. As I recall that game seemed to carry on for as long as necessary until Everton scored.

Comment

Originally posted by Arturo View Post

They replayed the highlights on Match of the Day a couple of weeks ago. Everton were so lucky that day and everything seemed to fall for them after they went two down. A ridiculous game.
                                              People I know who went were very glad we lost, as they feared for their safety when we were ahead.

Comment

This was our first season back in the top 2 divisions after a 10 year gap. We'd stayed up with something to spare and had a decent cup run to the quarter finals, knocking out holders Arsenal on the way.

This was our first ever defeat on a Sunday, although at that time, we'd only ever played on that day about a dozen times. Barnsley always used to beat us in those days. This was also the last time I saw something approaching organised hooliganism outside the ground as two large groups set about each other.

Comment

We hadn't been out of the top 3 all season until today, but a cup run and a shit pitch meant we had to squeeze 5 games into the last 12 days, dropping points while Port Vale came a little bit out of nowhere. They won 8 of their last 9 so fair play. There was the obligatory cheer from out of nowhere from a false rumour that Vale were losing, meaning a goal would put us up no matter how many Plymouth racked up, but enough people around had radio 5 in their walkman to dispel it quickly enough. Honestly, who starts those.

The history spreadsheet shows we started with 7 defenders, a winger and two strikers, which doesn't make a lot of sense when there's no material difference between a draw and a defeat whilst a win could've been really useful.

And, what Greenlander said about Burnley in the play-offs.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X