Today's results - Saturday 3rd May 1997

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Big Boobs and FIRE! View Post

I'd suggest there are very strong reasons to say those clubs don't exist any more.
    • All four clubs went out of business, two of them mid season.
    • All four clubs were wound up.
    • None of the phoenix clubs were considered as continuation clubs by the FA, only the now defunct Scarborough Town qualified.
    • All four new clubs had different names to the original clubs.
    • Two of the new clubs play at different grounds to the original club.
    Just because some the supporters have set up new clubs, doesn't mean the old ones exist any more.
    I've never cared much what the FA says. Much more interested in what Cota thinks, tbh. It will vary from club to club and within a club from supporter to supporter of course. There are even some Wimbledon fans who might agree with you.

I'd not say to someone like Cota "your club doesn't exist any more" though, that just seems unnecessarily unpleasant and rude.

Comment

Originally posted by TonTon View Post

"another chapter in the club's story" makes a lot of sense to me as a way of thinking about it. "Doesn't exist" seems all kinds of wrong. It'll vary from club to club to some extent of course.
      This is currently the nub if the civil war between Bury fans. As long as the entity formed in 1885 hasn’t been liquidated, some refuse to have anything to do with a new club. I’m not even sure you can call it a Phoenix club while the original still clings to life, just about.

Comment

Yeah, I can imagine. Although you don't find so many Middlesbrough fans insisting their club dates only from 1986. It's a funny old world, where some people value a piece of paper above the living heart and soul of a football club. But there you go.

Comment

The FA's continuation legislation is very pertinent, and was brought in for two reasons.

1) To stop clubs spending way beyond their means, going bust, and then just starting up again at a lower level as if nothing had happened.

2) To stop clubs being being taken over, then moved to a completely different location, yet still retaining the history of the original club.

Was brought in as a result of the outcry over MK Dons gaining the Wimbledon league status and also retaining the history as their own.

I'd have thought it would be clear to see that this legislation is in the supporters interest, rather than just being deemed "a piece of paper"?
          Last edited by Big Boobs and FIRE!; 03-05-2020, 14:12.

Comment

Brighton had points deducted for failing to control their fans? What happened, did they storm the away end to try and hand out samples of homemade organic falafel?

Comment

Originally posted by TonTon View Post
              That was the season we got to both cup semis, but decided not to bother playing in either.

I was absolutely bricking it before our teams' FAC semi. I think that was the season when you did us 4-2 at the Bridge, scoring a coupling of cracking goals and roughing up Leboeuf. I didn't think that we had much of a chance but, as you said, you didn't turn up and it was a stroll in the sunshine for us.

I remember watching the Boro/Chesterfield game in Upper St. during a loooooooong post-match celebratory drinking session.

Comment

Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post
                Brighton had points deducted for failing to control their fans? What happened, did they storm the away end to try and hand out samples of homemade organic falafel?
                Was wondering this too.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Boobs and FIRE! View Post
                  The FA's continuation legislation is very pertinent, and was brought in for two reasons.

1) To stop clubs spending way beyond their means, going bust, and then just starting up again at a lower level as if nothing had happened.

2) To stop clubs being being taken over, then moved to a completely different location, yet still retaining the history of the original club.

Was brought in as a result of the outcry over MK Dons gaining the Wimbledon league status and also retaining the history as their own.

I'd have thought it would be clear to see that this legislation is in the supporters interest, rather than just being deemed "a piece of paper"?
                  Well as far as part 1 goes spending beyond their means still happens at an alarming rate, so maybe the FA would be better served applying a more relevant FPP test to deal with that. As for part two that only occurred because the FA sanctioned such an act in the first place with little or no consultation and have shut the stable door with Dobbin already over the hill and far away.

Comment

The Brighton points deduction was for a pitch invasion protest in the match at home to Lincoln against the sale of the Goldstone Ground by Bill Archer.

Also that season, fans boycotted the start of the match against Mansfield and only entered the ground at half-time when the gates were opened. The number of people at the game in the first half was apparently only a fraction of the reported attendance of 1,933. We could easily had another point deduction after some incidents in the match against Orient.

This all led to the famous fans united day, where supporters from all over the UK, Europe and the World came to support Brighton against Harlepool. The match was won 5-0, and that was enough to keep Brighton in the league on goals scored

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post

I was absolutely bricking it before our teams' FAC semi. I think that was the season when you did us 4-2 at the Bridge, scoring a coupling of cracking goals and roughing up Leboeuf. I didn't think that we had much of a chance but, as you said, you didn't turn up and it was a stroll in the sunshine for us.
                      I've never watched it again, so have never really tried to work out what happened. It was just so bad, from beginning to end. And then having to get home again.

There wasn't even any injustice to get all self-righteous about.

Comment

History doesn't belong to anyone. If people want to pretend that the Franchise has a history in SW London, I can't stop them. And neither can the FA.

I really did mean that I don't care much what the FA says. My club is my club, our history is our history. Legislate all you like, it won't change that.

(And, you know, what SotS said)

Comment

Originally posted by Merlin the happy pig View Post

They didn't look overly interested if memory serves, not that I was complaining at the time.
                          From what I remember, the sole intention in the game was trying to get Neil Redfearn a couple of goals to take his total to twenty for the season.

He scored one.

A decent atmosphere in the away end though.

Comment

9,623 squeezed into Kenilworth Road, the clubs had designated it "Hat Day". It looked like a huge match a few weeks ago and our away allocation was snapped up in no time, but they and Brentford had slipped and when our games in hand were completed we'd zoomed past them and already secured promotion. There was a slight chance of the title today, but no-one was too concerned about that - this was a staggering 67th game, no-one begrudged them feeling slightly tired.

Comment

A match I actually remember. At the end of a truly horrendous season (relegated in March), our travel secretary finally managed to organise a trip from London. And we won, singing "We're going down with the Tories". The best game had been a couple of weeks earlier, when we got a 3-3 draw at Burnley, with Earl Jean scoring a hat-trick.

Comment

Originally posted by Crystal Staples View Post
                                9,623 squeezed into Kenilworth Road, the clubs had designated it "Hat Day". It looked like a huge match a few weeks ago and our away allocation was snapped up in no time, but they and Brentford had slipped and when our games in hand were completed we'd zoomed past them and already secured promotion. There was a slight chance of the title today, but no-one was too concerned about that - this was a staggering 67th game, no-one begrudged them feeling slightly tired.
                                Brentford’s collapse really was something that season. Much of it seemed to stem from losing to Bury at the end of March in the 1st vs 2nd game. The commentator sounds like a Dimbleby brother narrating a state funeral when Bury get a penalty.

Comment

Originally posted by Gangster Octopus View Post
                                  A match I actually remember. At the end of a truly horrendous season (relegated in March), our travel secretary finally managed to organise a trip from London. And we won, singing "We're going down with the Tories". The best game had been a couple of weeks earlier, when we got a 3-3 draw at Burnley, with Earl Jean scoring a hat-trick.
                                  Did someone called Darren score for Rotherham that afternoon? We had the Nationwide League Extra on tape for years afterwards given what happened at the start of the third tier round up and I remember a player scoring with lank, greasy hair who looked like he belonged in the scrapyard behind Millmoor instead.

Comment

Darren Garner. From Dorset I think.

Comment

Originally posted by Giggler View Post

Brentford’s collapse really was something that season. Much of it seemed to stem from losing to Bury at the end of March in the 1st vs 2nd game. The commentator sounds like a Dimbleby brother narrating a state funeral when Bury get a penalty.

I'm not sure it was that game specifically. We won three and drew one of the next four games before going pointless and goalless in the last four games.

By by the end of the season we were running on empty and, as I mentioned earlier, we were slaughtered 1-0 by Crewe in the play-off final and relegated the following season.

The Dimbleby-esque commentary is by Greville Waterman. He is a great Brentford man who takes defeats to heart but I think he might be quite pleased with your description.

Comment

Originally posted by cantagalo View Post

I'm not sure it was that game specifically. We won three and drew one of the next four games before going pointless and goalless in the last four games.

By by the end of the season we were running on empty and, as I mentioned earlier, we were slaughtered 1-0 by Crewe in the play-off final and relegated the following season.

The Dimbleby-esque commentary is by Greville Waterman. He is a great Brentford man who takes defeats to heart but I think he might be quite pleased with your description.
                                        He was, when he got in touch via Twitter. He read my book and gave it a five star review on Amazon.

Comment

Working...
                                        X