Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chchch Cherry Gone

Now it's Trevor Cherry.

He was in what I think of as the classic Leeds team even though I had limited chances to see them at that time.

Comment

Nah, he was just a bit too late. As was Yorath.

The classic line up was:
      Sprake
      Reaney Cooper
      Bremner Charlton Hunter
      Lorimer Giles Jones Clarke Gray
      sub Madeley

Comment

Always came across well as a player, seemed a bit clean for the dirty Leeds reputation. RIP

Comment

Originally posted by Gangster Octopus View Post

The classic line up was:
          Sprake
          Reaney Cooper
          Bremner Charlton Hunter
          sub Madeley
          I'm sure we've done this before, but famously (or perhaps not) that eleven never started a league game in that formation....they appeared once in that line up in an FA Cup game....

Comment

Cherry Oh Gravey

Comment

Originally posted by jdsx View Post

I'm sure we've done this before, but famously (or perhaps not) that eleven never started a league game in that formation....they appeared once in that line up in an FA Cup game....
              i always think of Mick Bates as a regular sub at that time.

Comment

Originally posted by Tony C View Post

i always think of Mick Bates as a regular sub at that time.
                So do I. I just looked him up. Averaged ten games and one-third of a goal per season. That can't be right.

Comment

Originally posted by Sits View Post
                  Always came across well as a player, seemed a bit clean for the dirty Leeds reputation. RIP
                  Nothing really to do with Trevor Cherry, but with dirtiness:

I played for the same junior club as Mark Cooper. He was a year younger, but he sometimes got sent up to us, so that we'd win.

One such day, at half-time, Terry Cooper took me to one side and said, "That flash centre-forward who's been giving you the runaround: First chance you get, kick him up the arse."

So I did, several times. Then, after the game, he (the flash centre-forward) lamped me in the car park when nobody was looking.

Terry Cooper? Had already fucked off home.

Comment

I'd have gone with 'Losing our Cherry'.

RIP - decent player on his day.

Comment

I have some memory of him being sent off for England on a South American tour, or am I confusing him with someone else? Madeley? Reaney?

Comment

Cherry was sent off in an away match against Argentina in 1977

Comment

Originally posted by Southport Zeb View Post
                          Cherry was sent off in an away match against Argentina in 1977
                          He was the first England player to be sent off in an international friendly after an encounter with Daniel Bertoni during which he lost two teeth.

Also worth mentioning that he was Bradford City's manager on the day of the fire.

Comment

He remained the only England player to be sent off in an international friendly until Raheem Sterling. No England player has ever been sent off in a friendly at home.

https://www.myfootballfacts.com/engl...yers-sent-off/

Comment

Originally posted by Gangster Octopus View Post

The classic line up was:
                              Sprake
                              Reaney Cooper
                              Bremner Charlton Hunter
                              sub Madeley
                              I think that, like Dr Who and Blue Peter presenters, this is a thing that shows subtle differences in people's ages. In my mind, the classic Leeds team is Harvey, Cherry, Gray (F.), Madely, Graham, McQueen, Reaney, Currie, Clarke, Gray (E.), Lorimer playing in the all yellow Admiral kit and sock tag numbers and the LU smiley face badge. Obviously, that isn't a formation that they played and they actually played players that I can't remember such as Ray Hankin. However, I was 10 or 11, rarely even got to watch MOTD and all my information came from Panini sticker books and Shoot (possibly Goal as well). I had even less idea about formations than I do now.

Comment

Originally posted by Bordeaux Education View Post

I think that, like Dr Who and Blue Peter presenters, this is a thing that shows subtle differences in people's ages. In my mind, the classic Leeds team is Harvey, Cherry, Gray (F.), Madely, Graham, McQueen, Reaney, Currie, Clarke, Gray (E.), Lorimer playing in the all yellow Admiral kit and sock tag numbers and the LU smiley face badge. Obviously, that isn't a formation that they played and they actually played players that I can't remember such as Ray Hankin. However, I was 10 or 11, rarely even got to watch MOTD and all my information came from Panini sticker books and Shoot (possibly Goal as well). I had even less idea about formations than I do now.
                                In that case, it must be c1977 and they were well past their best by then....

Comment

Yes, but it wasn't about 'best' for me. Indeed, I am not sure that classic line-ups are the 'best' for anyone, it's about what they regard as the quintessential team when they first got into football or when first started going to matches or whatever. The best Cardiff or Wales teams are not the same as what I regard as classic line-ups, I am sure. Basically, you are right and the team of five years before were the best Leeds team ever but I was only 6 then.

Comment

Originally posted by Bordeaux Education View Post

That’s what my Leeds memory looks like too.

Comment

Originally posted by jdsx View Post

So famously that I don't believe it. I'm sure you're right and I'm wrong, but still.

Comment

https://www.michaelnugent.com/2020/0...leeds-line-up/

Comment

Originally posted by cantagalo View Post
                                          He was the first England player to be sent off in an international friendly after an encounter with Daniel Bertoni during which he lost two teeth.
                                          Was watching some of a pre-2002 World Cup interview with Bertoni about that very event just yesterday.

He even showed off the resultant scar on his hand.

Comment

A piece written in 2018 by (probably) Leeds's foremost author/fan/podcaster, MoscowWhite.

Comment

statto, do Leeds fans regard Cherry as a better player than Terry Cooper, whom Cherry replaced in the side? He was obviously not as good as Bremner, whom he replaced as captain.

Comment

Working...
                                              X