No announcement yet.

No shot too sh*t - your photos of football

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another three sided ground, but this one was more permanent - I love the quirkiness but how on earth was league football still being played at the County Ground in Northampton into the 1990s?

Comment

Odd looking floodlights at Carlisle in the top pictures there.

To my regret I never got to the County Ground, the first chance I got to watch Argyle in Northampton was the season after they moved to Sixfields.

Comment

Another bit of ground redevelopment - the new Main Stand at Anfield.

First steelwork going up in April 2015.

By November, it's towering over the ground.

By February 2016, it's about to engulf the old stand.

Over the summer the old stand is ripped out from within and this was taken in September 2016 on the night before it was officially opened.

Comment

I was at opening of the old main stand in 1972 and I can recall being amazed at its size, the new one is about twice the size of that.

Comment

Some memories for Gangster Octopus here - Millmoor in torrential rain, April 1999. We lost 3-1 as we headed inexorably for Jimmy Glass Day.

The always attractive away parking area next to Booths scrappies.

Comment

I'd love to remember if I was there that day. Probably wrote the programme notes, if you've got one.

Comment

Originally posted by Third rate Leszno View Post
                My favourite memory of Euro 2000 was being at De Kuip in Rotterdam on a sweltering night to see Portugal beat 3-0 Germany with a hat trick from Sergio Conceicao.

I was at that game, too. The scoreboard was giving updates on England’s defeat that put them out. My pal John and me were discreetly celebrating as we could hear people speaking English behind us. At the final whistle a tap on the shoulder- “Don’t worry! We’re Welsh!”

Comment

Ultras failing to socially distance in 25% full Polish football grounds (sunny edition), Śląsk Wrocław v Pogoń Szczecin, Ekstralasa Play-Off :

Comment

Ultras failing to socially distance in 25% full Polish football grounds (absolutely torrential rain for 14 hours and the most water-logged pitch I've even seen a game played on edition), GKS Tychy v Puszczą Niepołomice, I liga :

Comment

The chances that whoever coded the "fix" for diacritical marks is a Pole are extremely high.

Comment

The board didn't accept the ? (o-acute) in the speedway teams' names on the Sport photo thread.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
                          Ultras failing to socially distance in 25% full Polish football grounds (sunny edition), Śląsk Wrocław v Pogoń Szczecin, Ekstralasa Play-Off :

Nice. How was the capacity decided, was it 25% per stand, or block...?

What was the rest of the trip like? I'm really put off by the idea of wearing a mask for hours during the airport>flight>airport segment of the journey, it was bad enough having one on for ten minutes when I had to go and get my bloods done.

Comment

I think the tickets were limited per block actually but in all four stadia I went to people seemed to be just sitting where they pleased. It was always very easy to find a socially distanced spot.

The trip was excellent, I was thinking or writing a post but I'm knackered so just put the photos up. Maybe I'll get around to it later in the week. I would thoroughly recommend both going to Poland for football and/or Speedway and visiting Wroclaw as well.

The flights (I went via Frankfurt so had four of them and three airports each way) were a little weird but I bought a good mask (the one discussed on the Coronavirus thread a few weeks ago) so that wasn't too much of a problem. Given I wore it for all the internal travel around Poland too and in any building I needed a comfortable one.

It did get a little much at times and I was glad to make it home today and not have to have it on until I next visit the shops.
                            Last edited by Ray de Galles; 13-07-2020, 22:08.

Comment

Cheers, sounds excellent. I steer clear of the Coronavirus thread so not sure which mask you mean but assume it's a decent quality cloth or linen one. I doubt I'll persuade Mrs TrL that Polish football is worth a trip but I may try my luck with speedway if lockdown eases a bit more.

Comment

Another trip down memory lane, Carlisle away at Saltergate, Chesterfield in 1994.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
                                  Ultras failing to socially distance in 25% full Polish football grounds (absolutely torrential rain for 14 hours and the most water-logged pitch I've even seen a game played on edition), GKS Tychy v Puszczą Niepołomice, I liga :

Tychy ground. No, it is quite big actually !

Comment

One or two pics from Ruzomberok vs Michalovce on Tuesday eve. Semi-final of the play-off for Slovakia's last EL place.

Comment

Houses with a view on the hill behind the ground.

Comment

Floodlights required as second-half kicks off. Ruzomberok won 1-0 and, as it was a one-leg affair, proceed to the final where they will face Spartak Trnava.

Comment

Those are brilliant James. Ruzomberok goes onto my list of never-to-be-fulfilled trips to out of the way football grounds (alongside BATE Borisov, IF Fuglafjordur and Arbroath).

Comment

Originally posted by Third rate Leszno View Post
                                            Those are brilliant James. Ruzomberok goes onto my list of never-to-be-fulfilled trips to out of the way football grounds (alongside BATE Borisov, IF Fuglafjordur and Arbroath).
                                            Absolutely this. Those floodlights.

Comment

Yeah, lovely shots. Bizarrely, it reminds me a little of Jenner Park, Barry Town's ground.

Comment

Thanks. It's a bit out of the way, though less so than BATE or Fuglafjordur! Leeds played a friendly in Ruzomberok one year while on a training camp in the Tatra mountains and Everton were there 3 years ago in the EL.

Comment

Did they nab those floodlights from Drnovice?

Comment

Have any of you guys ever made a photozine? I've been purchasing punk photozines since I was a kid (there's been a nice uptick in the quantity of punk photozines in the past few years) and I recently starting mixing in some street photography photozines to my support of DIY photographers. The photos in WSC 400 and the discussion of City Go Nap as Quakers Halt Slump has me interested in chasing down some football photozines.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X