Today's results - 25th April 2015

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
    I was at the Cheltenham game. They got relegated and Shrewsbury got promoted. Most of the town fans ran on the pitch at the end which I felt was really disrespectful given some Cheltenham players were in tears at the end.
    There were a few tears on the Shrewsbury side too. Colin Bloomfield died the same day and 11 year old Lloyd Burton died earlier in the week.

I am really struggling to see how winning promotion away and having a pitch invasion is in anyway disrespectful to a team relegated.

The Cheltenham fans I spoke in the pub after were lovely about it.

Comment

Cheltenham's relegation being confirmed that day meant that Carlisle v Hartlepool the following weekend would be a dead rubber, avoiding what could have been a volatile situation if Hartlepool were playing for survival. In fact for a while it looked like both teams would be playing for survival on the last day but Carlisle had pulled clear before that Stevenage game. It turned out to be an entertaining 3-3, in which Carlisle took a quick 3-0 lead and then took their foot off the pedal spectacularly.

Comment

I went to the Ipswich-Forest game and Freddie Sears scored a deflected winner to keep us in the play-off picture. In the first half there was a minute’s applause after 23/24 minutes for a fan who had died a few days previously. At the end of the applause, Daryl Murphy scored - a wonderful moment.

Portman Road was absolutely rocking at the end of the match. And Marcus Evans looked upon this and thought, “Too hot for me, we’ll have to dial this down before everyone starts getting ideas above their station.” It’s the one thing he’s done successfully since then.

Comment

Originally posted by NickSTFU View Post

There were a few tears on the Shrewsbury side too. Colin Bloomfield died the same day and 11 year old Lloyd Burton died earlier in the week.

I am really struggling to see how winning promotion away and having a pitch invasion is in anyway disrespectful to a team relegated.

The Cheltenham fans I spoke in the pub after were lovely about it.
          Yes, I remember Colin died that morning. It was very sad.

I think given that we were asked not to run onto the pitch and we had just relegated the home side, Salop fans could have, I dunno, not run on the pitch. But, hey, we always disagree so why not on this too?

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post

Yes, I remember Colin died that morning. It was very sad.

I think given that we were asked not to run onto the pitch and we had just relegated the home side, Salop fans could have, I dunno, not run on the pitch. But, hey, we always disagree so why not on this too?
            I don't remember hearing any announcement, but then I wasn't interested in running on the pitch anyway. I do remember talking to Cheltenham fans after, who weren't bothered it about when asked, were lovely about Colin and Lloyd, understanding the emotion and the pitch invasion.

I think that's what counts. Though I am sure some Cheltenham fans were annoyed.

Comment

West Brom 0 Liverpool 0

Classic Puils era West Brom. 27% possession at home. I took my son to his first West Brom game a few months after this. Another 0-0, this time against Southampton. 1 shot on target.

Comment

My uncle and I spoke to a few Shrewsbury fans in the Parklands (the club behind the Colin Farmer Stand) after and all were very respectful. Most telling us we'd be back, us telling them we'd be going bust whilst congratulating them on getting back to League One. All very pleasant.

I had no issue with the Shrewsbury fans running onto the pitch, but then I don't see the fascination with pitch invasions. Even when we were promoted a year later I only wandered onto the pitch 5 mins or so later because the players were in the Main Stand doing interviews. As I said earlier, I was just glad it was all over, and that I didn't have to find the money to go to AFC Wimbledon a week later to see us relegated then instead.

Comment

I was at Hamburg v Augsburg. Hamburg went 2-0 up, Augsburg pulled it back to 2-2 and looked certain to go on and win. Hamburg got the decisive goal though, giving them some optimism that they would, yet again, avoid relegation. They did, winning a relegation play-off for the second successive year.

Comment

I was at the game; it's mentioned here. Thanks to losing three points for fielding a wrong player or something, we still needed something on the following Tuesday or Saturday...

Comment

Working...
                    X