Everton 3-0 Manchester Utd

Monday, April 27, 2015

Football League Championship
    AFC Bournemouth 3-0 Bolton Wanderers

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

I was at the Cheltenham game. They got relegated and Shrewsbury got promoted. Most of the town fans ran on the pitch at the end which I felt was really disrespectful given some Cheltenham players were in tears at the end.

Comment

Looking at that D4 table, I think 2014/15 is probably the only season since they've been back in the league that Wimbledon haven't had a real relegation scare or shot at promotion (and there's only been one of the latter, though it was somehow successful after creeping in to the last play-off place unnoticed).

Comment

What's the meaning of Newport County (2) and Accrington Stanley (2)?

Comment

That they are "Phoenix clubs", I presume.

Comment

On the Friday I watched Calder 76 win 3-0 at Hebden Royd Red Star in the Halifax League. Beforehand I had a walk on the hills above Mytholmroyd.

On Saturday there was a groundhop in the Nottinghamshire Senior League, on which I did the first and last games. The first was a dull goalless draw between Bingham Town and Ruddington Village, whilst the last was a more entertains game between Sandhurst and Kirton Brickworks, won 4-2 by the home side. In between I went to Stamford's newly opened ground where I watched them win 3-2 against Witton. I think Witton had led at one point but Stamford came back, I think getting a late winner. This result meant Witton were relegated.

Comment

That win pretty much guaranteed us the final playoff place while relegating Tranmere. From what I can recall it was one of those 1-0, 2-0, 2-1, 3-1, 3-2 score games where you always feel in control of the game but it's never quite safe. I'm also pretty certain it was the first time I'd ever seen us confirm another teams relegation at Home Park. The Tranmere fans got a bit shouty at the end but that was about it.

Comment

I was at Orient v Sheffield United. From memory, the Blades fans had done the last away day of the season dress up thing and I met a couple of blokes on Leyton High Road, one of which was dressed up and had “black faced” as Mr T and was giving people Snickers’, as that was the TV advert at the time. That’s my only memory from that day, to be honest. I can’t remember the reaction to what was one step towards relegation, I can’t imagine it was pleasant and I can’t imagine the players cared much.

Relegation was confirmed the week after at Swindon Town, though I quickly couldn’t care less upon learning Danny Jones, the Keighley rugby league player, had dropped dead at a game in North London, that I would have been at in normal circumstances.

I think I did about twenty more Orient games after this point before I relinquished my season ticket. I’ve seen Orient once since. I thought absence may have made the heart grow fonder but I think that was me kidding myself. I’ve since watched everything from International games, Champions League games to Essex Olympian League and I’ve far enjoyed that since.

Comment

Ah, the game where it all swung away from Burnley. Penalty to the home side, Matt Taylor steps up, misses it, Leicester go down the other end and score. They stay up, we go down.

Comment

Was at that Fulham game, along with 7000+ other Boro fans. What a fucking game that was, I don't think I've ever had so much fun watching such a complete and utter catastrophe.

Comment

I went to Stevenage, who coincidentally we should also have been playing today.

We'd had another crap season despite a number of promising players (Brad Potts, Kyle Dempsey and Charlie Wyke have all gone on to play at a higher level), and this was another crap away performance that gave little joy to the well-lubricated fancy dress crowd (Andy Pandy and Looby Lou theme) in the away section.

On the plus side I met up with a mate and his kids in the friendly social club beforehand and had a good crack with them, even though we did have to move seats to get away from one of the more opinionated and painfully dull members of the London Branch who was boring the tits off anyone sat within earshot.

Comment

It's the last day of the season in Conference North and we're home to Harrogate. Neither team are involved in the promotion or relegation issues, our feeble play-off challenge died weeks ago. The last seven games have seen us take only two points, and one of those was against already relegated Hyde, a dismal run that saw us drop into the bottom half and Alan Lord lose his job.

We sneak back into the top half in the final minute of the season as Danny Glover seals a 2-1 win. It's not really a thing to crow about but we haven't finished in the top half of any division since the League Two play-off win which was only seven years previous, but feels like at least double. By the time we play again in August, all of the 14 who represented us today have left.

Comment

Crawley were beating Peterborough 3-2 with 3 minutes to go. Had the result stayed that way they would have stayed up. Instead 2 late goals for Posh, and then 2-1 defeat at home to Coventry after leading 1-0 with about 25 minutes to go resulted in relegation

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                                    I was at the Cheltenham game. They got relegated and Shrewsbury got promoted. Most of the town fans ran on the pitch at the end which I felt was really disrespectful given some Cheltenham players were in tears at the end.
                                    Two Cheltenham "players" - one of which was a loanee, and the other a youth player who'd had his first season in the first team - stayed on the pitch to applaud the fans who'd put up with our worst season in well over 20 years. This led to a nasty scene outside the player's entrance when a lot of the players were confronted whilst trying to make their way to their cars.

We, along with Tranmere and Hartlepool, were awful that season and it really could have been any two of us that could have gone down. If ever there was an advert for 3 up/3 down then this season was it.

As for the game, I was there. Sat in the Colin Farmer as we conceded in the 20th minute. Shrews then sat back as we huffed and puffed but never really looked like getting back into it. At half-time Hartlepool were winning and we knew we were down. Second half I might as well have fallen asleep through. When the final whistle went I was just glad it was all over.

I truly believed that was the end. That within a year we'd be part-time and that we'd never be back in the Football League. What Gary Johnson achieved that summer in recruiting practically a whole new squad (only 1 player from the relegation season became a regular, and that was because he only played the first 11 mins of the 14/15 season before getting injured) and leading us to 101 points, our record run of unbeaten league games and promotion as champions, was truly remarkable. So in a way I look on this day with fondness because of what it led to.

My Facebook post from about 15 mins after the game:

"Genuinely do not know how I'm feeling right now. On the one hand I'm gutted, can't believe we've gone down. On the other hand though a little bit of me is excited to be going into the Conference. New grounds (and I will be doing a couple of away games), still having a football club to call my own, even a crack at the FA Trophy again.....oh who am I kidding, it's going to be bastard awful. Just like Cheltenham Town FC this season!!!"

Comment

So the first phase of Stewart Day’s Five Year Plan comes down to Bury needing to win at Tranmere and needing Morecambe (and my namesake) to do us a favour versus Southend. Can’t see that happening tbh, but if it does I expect to see that narcissist Day all over the media.

I’ve enjoyed this season but those fucking white shorts, man. I can’t understand why there isn’t more concern about the way Day is running the club. That’s success for you, I suppose.

Comment

A 2-0 win at Reading kept Brentford's play-off hopes alive, though late goals by Derby and Ipswich meant that little progress had been made in the table.

It set up a wonderful final day as Brentford cruised to a 3-0 win over Wigan and the news came in that not only were Ipswich losing at Blackburn but remarkably Derby were getting hammered 3-0 at home to Reading. This gave us a fifth place finish in our first season back in the second tier for more than 20 years.

Comment

Originally posted by Fussbudget View Post
                                          Was at that Fulham game, along with 7000+ other Boro fans. What a fucking game that was, I don't think I've ever had so much fun watching such a complete and utter catastrophe.
                                          I was also there. Boro went into the game still with a realistic chance of automatic promotion, but the manager's (Karanka) policy of getting the lead and then simply trying to hold on to it meant that we were at a complete disadvantage to teams around us on goal difference. So with the score at 3-3 in injury time the manager decided to send the goalkeeper up for a corner. Fulham broke and scored the winner, effectively ending our automatic promotion hopes. A point would have taken it to the last day. We ended up in the play-offs and got to the final where we (almost literally) didn't turn up and were deservedly beaten by Norwich.

Comment

I was at work on the Saturday and was trying to avoid the score of our crucial game at Rotherham, but the subsequent draw ended our automatic promotion hopes. Had we won, it would have gone to the final weekend and been a three way battle for promotion and the title with Bournemouth and Watford (four way if Boro hadn't imploded at Fulham).

Gary Hooper's goal for us at the New York was one of the best in recent years, a sign of lost promise from a player who came to us with so much potential, but for various reasons, never quite delivered.

Comment

This was pretty much the ultimate "meh" season.

Comment

Yeah I was at Plymouth to witness the last rites.
                                                Simon is right, us Cheltenham and Hartlepool were all garbage that year. Took us a bit longer than Cheltenham to recover. One player from that day remains, Liam Ridehalgh.

Comment

I groaned when I saw our result for this weekend again. Dougie Freedman, the charlatan, had been seen off this season and Neil Lennon appointed. The team had initially responded well and we'd climbed to a position of safety but we were just staving off the inevitable until next season.

By now Lennon had lost interest. Owner, Eddie Davis was no longer willing to bankroll the club and we were looking to cut costs, quickly. Bizarrely, Lennon had been allowed to sign Ben Amos on a 3 year, 16k a week deal, just before Davis decided he'd had enough. That signing would go on to be a huge millstone around the clubs neck.

Bournemouth probably didn't have many easier 90 minutes that season. Played in a party atmosphere, we did our bit by turning up and offering little resistance to the champions elect.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X