Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Players You Like More, or Less, Since They Retired

Players I like more: Gary Lineker, Eric Cantona

Players I like less: Mick McCarthy. Key player in getting Barnsley from the 4th to 2nd tiers. Insufferable prick as a manager. Other ex-Barnsley players in this mould: Neil Warnock, Allan Clarke. Racist bellend Peter Beardsley.

Chris Waddle, without a doubt. (like less, in case that's not obvious) Wonderful footballer, Brexit-happy dick off the pitch

Then of course Peter Shilton, who not only went full Brexit but also started bigging up Jacob Rees Mogg.

Comment

Paul Scholes is an awful prick on the telly.

Comment

Steven Gerrard seems to do nothing but moan, from the little I see/read on Scottish Football.

Comment

I found it much harder to hate Bryan Robson after he stopped playing.

Comment

Pele's been slightly tedious as an ex-player but nothing compared to Platini.

Comment

Hated Robbie Savage as a player, a talentless preening egotist. Who knew he could turn out to be even more of an insufferable twat as a pundit?

Comment

Nev Southall always seemed a decent sort as a player, in retirement he has turned out to be an absolute legend.

Comment

Less - Ian Rush, miserable get, Mark Hughes, moaning get, Michel Platini

Even Less - Robbie Savage, that voice, Chris Sutton, the constant opinions

More - Neville Southall, Peter Reid

I see people answered with some of these whilst I was thinking.

Comment

All of the class of 92. They don't seem very happy. and I would include Keith Gillespie and robbie savage in that.

Roy Keane has turned into an bit of a hyper-gammon in a football sense at least. He thinks about football like someone who played in the eighties, and seems to have missed out on all the changes that happened during his career. Which seems to also be a problem with Scholes as well.

Peter Beardsley has got to be up there for everyone. Actually the striking thing about that beardsley story was he seems to primarily have been a full spectrum bully, and this manifested in racism when dealing with black players. He would likely have racially abused white english players if he could, but that wasn't an option. That old canard about believing that you have to prepare young players for the hard knocks of life as a professional by relentlessly humiliating them, the traditional rationalisation of the wretched inveterate bully.
                    Last edited by The Awesome Berbaslug!!!; 25-04-2020, 12:25.

Comment

Originally posted by Jumbo McGinnis View Post
                      Steven Gerrard seems to do nothing but moan, from the little I see/read on Scottish Football.
                      This is basically what he has always been like. His 2006 autobiography is a fascinating read. He has no filter. Then again, There's a lot of players that seem to be driven by unhappiness and negativity.

Originally posted by Kowalski View Post
                      Mark Hughes, moaning get, Michel Platini
                      If you've ever seen an old interview with Mark Hughes, He doesn't seem to have changed very much. Footage of platini celebrating his penalty at heysel, and the bit after the match is fucking horrifying. He's not going to let anything ruin his big day.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                        Players I like more: Gary Lineker, Eric Cantona
                        This. Also Neville Southall.

Comment

Probably an unpopular opinion but I prefer Gary Neville the pundit to Gary Neville the player.

Comment

I fully agree.

Comment

Same here.

Comment

And me.

Comment

Yeah, Neville came to mind for me too. A horrible cunt as a player, now a good pundit, a decent person and someone who (admittedly for obvious reasons) uses his profile to stand up for the lower division teams.

I've warmed to Dean Windass too.

Comment

Somehow Jimmy Bullard gets even more on my tits now as TV's #bantz merchant than he did as football's #bantz merchant.

Comment

Originally posted by Kowalski View Post
                                      I see people answered with some of these whilst I was thinking.

If you think, you're dead.

Comment

Another vote for Gary Neville here. I didnt like him as a player but not only is he an articulate pundit he seems to be a damn fine person.

Beckham's continued thirst for publicity I still find tiresome but can't bring myself to dislike him.

Savage has always come across as an appalling human being.

Allardyce was always known to be a bit of a 'bread head' with a huge ego and which eventually did for him in the England job. You'd like to think he's learned some humility from that experience but somehow I doubt it.

Comment

Are we not straying into a version of never meet your heroes territory here? By which I mean once divorced from from judgement on pitch performances only and their media conversations nothing more than an extension of this. Who would never know Beardsley was a racist before he moved beyond this. Keane of course being the exception. What you saw as a player is what you now see as the man.

Comment

Going to switch sports quickly and say Michael Vaughan: less, less, less.

Comment

Like: Romario, who I always thought of as charmless a player and personality; now on the side of the political angels. Southall obvs, another vote for Gary Neville. Disappointed in Matt Le Tissier.

Comment

What has Le Tissier done wrong?

Comment

Michael Vaughan is a good shout.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X