No announcement yet.

Today's results - 4th April 2009

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Today we give a first start to Josh Thompson, 18 year old defender who apparently some big clubs have an eye on. He's not ready to be thrown into a relegation battle, but it's all about cash flow now, we're not going to be able to resist any offers in the summer - clearly the reasoning is a few first team starts will boost the fee we get.

The second half of this season is weird because for weeks County fans have been mentally deducting 10 and watching the situation at the bottom. After being 5th at Christmas when the whispers of administration started, then the severe thinning of the squad in January that validated those rumours, plus another first team regular has just left in the loan window. So this set of results is quite a relief because the players we're left with aren't going to pick up many more results - we lost the last three before today and we're also about to lose the next three. People are saying 50 points should be enough for safety but, bizarrely, since passing that tally in February our form's been so bad it seems like it's going to be beyond us.

Comment

Are we the only team that had their winner scored by a player that is still at the club?

(If we allow Gary Sawyer's brief spells at Bristol Rovers and Leyton Orient).

Comment

Great choice of seasons, Sean.

Leicester 2-2 Carlisle

Leicester progressing serenely on the way to the title, Carlisle scraping a series of draws that left us needing to beat Millwall at home on the final day to stay up (Spolier alert - we did it).

Here's the programme cover - note the stupid format, doesn't fit into the neat stack of A5 ones.

Looking at the teams is interesting - we started with Danny Graham and Michael Bridges up front and Richard Keogh at the back, along with a bloke called Ian Morris who I have absolutely no memory of whatsoever! Having wiki'ed him I'm none the wiser, though apparently he's now manager of Shelbourne. Leicester featured Steve Howard, Matt Oakley, mardyarse Max Gradel and former Carlisle loan favourite Matty Fryatt. Michael Oliver was reffing, presumably on his way up to the top flight, not just slumming it for the day.

Pleasingly, Carlisle went in front after half an hour through Bridges, but Leicester equalised through Oakley soon after the break. I remember there was a small number of Leicester fans who spent the whole game trying to get a reaction from the Carlisle end, and not even watching the game - dickheads. It was largely one-way traffic after that, although we did manage the odd break, but it somehow felt inevitable when Fryatt popped up on 88 minutes to give Leicester the lead. The 20,000 crowd went wild with relief, but wait - two minutes into stoppage time, sub Scott Dobie got his head on a cross and made it 2-2! Joy unconfined, and not a few 'fuck you' gestures in the direction of the furious Leicester knobheads. Happy days.

Last edited by Third rate Leszno; 04-04-2020, 19:26.

Comment

Last edited by Third rate Leszno; 04-04-2020, 19:30. Reason: Double post

Comment

A desperately disappointing first visit to new Wembley for Scunny, going down 3-2 in extra-time to Conference-bound (via a 30 pt deduction) Luton.

It's the first time we've got anywhere close in the Freight Rover Leyland Daf thing, so to lose to a mid-table League 2 side is a bit shit, especially as they were dirty bastards (Manager: M Harford), and their fans vastly outnumbered us and were generally unpleasant, being from Luton and that.

Trips to Wembley don't come along very often you know, it's not as if we can come back and make amends in 7 weeks and win the play off final against another bunch of cunts (it was Millwall, although Leeds and MK Dons also apply).

The new stadium is nice, you even get a view of the pitch, but for some reason they've chosen to put the New Wembley exactly where the old one was, rather than somewhere convenient, or pleasant.

Comment

A lot of anguish about that GFC, but they could still make the play-offs (kaboom-tish).

Good season to pick, Exeter going for successive promotions, a well-run club showing the likes of Bournemouth and Brighton the way forward.

Comment

We were sleepwalking to relegation and this is one of those games in that season that I can’t remember a thing about.

i just looked up our team from that day and it’s so easy to see why we went down - that being said, it did include a very young Michail Antonio.

Comment

Originally posted by Third rate Leszno View Post
                  Pleasingly, Carlisle went in front after half an hour through Bridges, but Leicester equalised through Oakley soon after the break. I remember there was a small number of Leicester fans who spent the whole game trying to get a reaction from the Carlisle end, and not even watching the game - dickheads. It was largely one-way traffic after that, although we did manage the odd break, but it somehow felt inevitable when Fryatt popped up on 88 minutes to give Leicester the lead. The 20,000 crowd went wild with relief, but wait - two minutes into stoppage time, sub Scott Dobie got his head on a cross and made it 2-2! Joy unconfined, and not a few 'fuck you' gestures in the direction of the furious Leicester knobheads. Happy days.
                  Great day out that, nice sunny day and the added edge of excitement provide by our car nearly breaking down on the way down. When Dobie scored the equaliser I clattered into WFD jnr, who clattered into a woman, who clattered into her elderly mother. Two of the people in this scenario did not see the funny side.

Comment

We beat Mansfield (the other team that came down with us) 2-0 at the Racecourse, I was still trying to get my head around us being a non-league club (it still hasn't got much easier) and Saunders' era of starfuckery was already in full swing despite us barely having a midfield of any description. Ended up finishing 10th.

Comment

Originally posted by jwdd27 View Post
                      A desperately disappointing first visit to new Wembley for Scunny, going down 3-2 in extra-time to Conference-bound (via a 30 pt deduction) Luton.

It's the first time we've got anywhere close in the Freight Rover Leyland Daf thing, so to lose to a mid-table League 2 side is a bit shit, especially as they were dirty bastards (Manager: M Harford), and their fans vastly outnumbered us and were generally unpleasant, being from Luton and that.

Trips to Wembley don't come along very often you know, it's not as if we can come back and make amends in 7 weeks and win the play off final against another bunch of cunts (it was Millwall, although Leeds and MK Dons also apply).

The new stadium is nice, you even get a view of the pitch, but for some reason they've chosen to put the New Wembley exactly where the old one was, rather than somewhere convenient, or pleasant.
                      Building a new national stadium on a brown field site with a convenient stadium shaped footprint and excellent transport and road links seemed like a good idea.

Comment

Not a pleasant period in my life. I was being left dangling at work (“Don’t worry, you’ll get another contract” they kept saying, right up until eight days before my contract ended and they changed their tune) and though Bury were flying, too many stutters like this denied us automatic promotion.

As it was, Bury needed to win the last game of the season vs Accrington by two clear goals to go up. It was a nervy afternoon and as the board went up for six added minutes at the end of the game it was 0-0. Ten seconds later, Bury got a penalty which Phil Jevons slammed home.

Cue carnage. Hundreds of kids swarmed onto the pitch to celebrate prematurely. Amongst them were several dozen adults who really should have known better too. I’ll never forget looking to my left and seeing an impossibly glamorous, beautiful black woman tottering down from the top of the Family Stand to the pitch in heels. One child was holding her hand and she was carrying another. She looked like she was taking them to the park, not taking part in an ill-advised pitch invasion.

Eventually the pitch was cleared but the referee had seen enough and he blew up a good four minutes early. We missed out on promotion by one goal. That consolation that Rochdale got in the 92nd minute in Bury’s 2-1 win in March? Yep, kept us down.

As Patrick says, it was the play-offs. Coasting at 1-0 up from the first leg, David Buchanan dropped the hairiest of bollocks on 80 in the second which led to extra time and penalties. Of course, Bury blew it. I went to the game with a Crewe fan mate with whom I was going to see Morrissey in Liverpool that night and a ‘casual’ female acquaintance. Immediately as the shootout ended (I can’t remember how, I’ve blocked it) I shut my eyes for two seconds, looked at them and gestured with my head but no words that we were leaving.

Two months later I broke her heart as my meltdown at going from Broadcast Journalist at BBC North West Tonight to pallet shrink-wrapper in a factory took hold. What a fucking year.

Comment

Great post, Giggler. Threads like this are worth it just for that.

Comment

WHU 2 Sunderland 0. I was there but remember nowt about the game apart from Diego Tristan doing his best to rubbish my prematch high praise.

Twas the season Keane quit in early December. I was halfway through a lunchtime Pizza in Naples when I got the news. Ended up going to bed at about 4AM having seemingly being a bar or two behind Lee Sharpe all the way around Sorrento since late afternoon.

Long-standing on/off employee Ricky Sbragia took over as “manager” on an 18 month contract for the press and players benefit. He was always leaving in May with contract paid in full.
                            We lost 1-0 at Utd first game then stuck four past Hull and WBA. All downhill after that with W3 D6 L11. 18th when Keane left. 12th three games later then somehow finishing 16th despite only 3 wins from Xmas onwards.

That was the template for ten seasons in the PL. Half decent/poor start then a few very bad results and the manager left. New manager bounce and stay up. Rinse n repeat.
                            No club in football history ever had such a low wins, points, goals tally over a ten year spell. You can check, people have. Most crap teams are crap for a couple of seasons then drop a division where they score more, win more etc. We didn’t, we were shit in the PL for ten seasons THEN were relegated.....then relegated again.

Owner lost well over £150m despite the mad PL incomings and 40,000 crowds on staff payoffs, shit overated players, unheard of forrin shots in the dark. Then after a double relegation threatened to pull the plug altogether if the FL wouldn’t break their own rules and allow new owners to buy the club with “its own money” ie the second parachute payment. The FL agreed when it was pointed out to them that this would save the club £7m in interest payments to a US bank over the course of the next two seasons. PP went straight to US bank thus owner could walk away leaving club “debt free” but haemorrhaging millions per month.
                            First “major” English club narrowly avoids extinction and the football industry avoids the attendant bad publicity.

Absolute Madness.
                            Last edited by White No Sugar; 05-04-2020, 12:03.

Comment

Where did it go wrong for Sunderland? Roy Keane would say he made a lot of short-term signings or signings from his own personal contacts (a lot of ex-Man Utd players, some who he'd slagged off as a player himself) because the club had no scouting network, so that makes it sound like they weren't getting the basics right as far back as 2007.

Comment

Bolton 4-1 Middlesbrough

I should have remembered this game immediately, given it was one of very few under Megson where we won by a margin of more than 1 goal. Boro with their young manager, Southgate (what happened to him?) and a fearsome attack featuring Aliadiere and Alves created several chances but could only take one of them, future Wanderers players, Tuncay and O'Neill combining to equalise Kevin Davies' early effort.

Gary Cahill added a 2nd for us but the game was still very much in the balance until another future Wanderer, David Wheater, gave a free kick away. The then much maligned and under rated Matt Taylor whipped a free kick in that everybody missed and ensured we'd be getting 3 points. Ricardo Gardner finished off a superb counter attack to add gloss to the final score.

This was our 7th successive season in the Premier league. We didn't realise it at the time but we were spoilt and taking such achievements for granted and despite the millions coming in through TV revenue, our debt was increasing.

We'll probably not get back to those levels of football again in my lifetime but I'm glad I witnessed it, even if I didnt always fully appreciate it.

Comment

Originally posted by TonTon View Post
                                  I remember very little about any games I've been to. In fact, I remember very few games I've been to.
                                  Glad I'm not the only one. I genuinely have no idea if I attended Leicester 2-2 Carlisle or not (I do know that I didn't make it to the return fixture, as I have a better memory for away games).

Comment

Originally posted by Various Artist View Post
                                    Well, Norwich are in a bit of a tricky situation, but the goodwill surrounding the appointment of club legend Bryan Gunn as manager recently hasn't fully dissipated yet and I'm confident we'll be able to survive. It's been 50 years since we were in the third tier, for goodness' sake.

If all else fails, our final fixture is at Charlton and they're already doomed, so it should be an easy enough way to pick up a concluding three points if we really need them.
                                    Didn't go to this one. Sounded like another horror show amidst many this season and not surprising given it's perhaps one of the worst Norwich squads we've ever managed to put together. The names Otsemobor, Carney, Gow and Mooney will just be several that we'll look back at in years to come, and shudder at the fact they became regular starters.

Although by no means all his fault, Bryan Gunn is massively out of his depth and should never have been given the job. I hope he's out of the door quickly whether we stay up or not and back to his role in the hospitality department or whatever it was he did before.

Comment

I may have gone to Aldershot; I can't remember.

This is the season that was in WSC just a couple of months ago; where we started the season in joint 22nd with Bournemouth on -17 points, and Luton started in 24th on -30 points. Sky ran a mini-league between the three of us, which we won. Yay us...

Comment

Originally posted by White No Sugar View Post
                                        No club in football history ever had such a low wins, points, goals tally over a ten year spell. You can check, people have. Most crap teams are crap for a couple of seasons then drop a division where they score more, win more etc. We didn’t, we were shit in the PL for ten seasons THEN were relegated.....then relegated again.
                                        Coventry syndrome. Of course, the Sky Blues seemed to have cracked it this year, pulling clear at the top of the third division and looking set for automatic promotion and their first top five finish in any division for more than 50 years. <unlucky-alf-from-fast-show.jpg>

Comment

Originally posted by Arturo View Post
                                          Didn't go to this one. Sounded like another horror show amidst many this season and not surprising given it's perhaps one of the worst Norwich squads we've ever managed to put together. The names Otsemobor, Carney, Gow and Mooney will just be several that we'll look back at in years to come, and shudder at the fact they became regular starters.

Although by no means all his fault, Bryan Gunn is massively out of his depth and should never have been given the job. I hope he's out of the door quickly whether we stay up or not and back to his role in the hospitality department or whatever it was he did before.
                                          Gawd, I've forgotten Mooney already. I quite like Gow though, he'll do OK for me on FIFA '09 in the next year or two I reckon.

Yeah, Gunn will only stay to the end of the season, I'm confident – he'll just want to say he's steadied the ship then he'll be back to his role in the Gunn Club. Unless there's some freak situation where we just get worse right to the end of the season and somehow go down, in which case perversely he'll probably decide to stay on as he wouldn't want to walk out a failure. In the same way, I can see Shearer sticking around in the Newcastle hot-seat.

And to be fair to Bryan, if he did need to 'massage' his legacy by hanging on for a bit, it's bound to be much easier dropping to the third tier to face the likes of, I don't know, Colchester.

Comment

Originally posted by longeared View Post

Was the Manchester United win the game where Macheda scored the winner in the last minute or was that a different season?
                                            Yup. Knew the scoreline looked familiar once I looked at this thread. (But had been prompted by all my youtube 'classic match' watching the last few days. )

Comment

Originally posted by Giggler View Post
                                              Not a pleasant period in my life. I was being left dangling at work (“Don’t worry, you’ll get another contract” they kept saying, right up until eight days before my contract ended and they changed their tune) and though Bury were flying, too many stutters like this denied us automatic promotion.

As it was, Bury needed to win the last game of the season vs Accrington by two clear goals to go up. It was a nervy afternoon and as the board went up for six added minutes at the end of the game it was 0-0. Ten seconds later, Bury got a penalty which Phil Jevons slammed home.

Cue carnage. Hundreds of kids swarmed onto the pitch to celebrate prematurely. Amongst them were several dozen adults who really should have known better too. I’ll never forget looking to my left and seeing an impossibly glamorous, beautiful black woman tottering down from the top of the Family Stand to the pitch in heels. One child was holding her hand and she was carrying another. She looked like she was taking them to the park, not taking part in an ill-advised pitch invasion.

Eventually the pitch was cleared but the referee had seen enough and he blew up a good four minutes early. We missed out on promotion by one goal. That consolation that Rochdale got in the 92nd minute in Bury’s 2-1 win in March? Yep, kept us down.
                                              I was on the other side of that, as Wycombe clung onto 3rd place despite a final day loss. I remember the final whistle going and a number of our fans invading the pitch, despite the fact that the final whistle hadn't gone at Bury at that point. If I recall correctly, some more patient heads managed to persuade some of them to come back to the stands as it wasn't confirmed yet, then there was a re-invasion of more people when your match did complete. I didn't join them, I felt more relief than release, we really fell arse-backwards into that promotion, and promptly got relegated the following season.

Comment

Almost positive I wasn't at the Hawthorns for the 0-2 loss against Stoke. In fact, I think it was the first year for a while that I didn't have a season ticket. A wise decision as it turned out - we finished bottom.

I enjoyed this video, following Stoke fans to and from the game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56ULjG2ugfQ

Comment

Working...
                                                X