Favourite Football Memory of the 1970s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Favourite Football Memory of the 1970s

When I was 9 in 1975-76, I became a big fan of Tommy Doc's entertaining Man U side, so my favourite memory is watching Gordon Hill's brace v Derby in that season's Cup semi-final on MOTD. The 1977 final was also wonderful, of course, but the MOTD experience was somehow more magical, maybe because I was a year younger.

Share your favourite memory of the decade in this thread.

April 29th, 1972: Torquay at home. My first game at the Villa; I was so excited I had my scarf on from about 9.30. We won 5-1, and Brian Little scored on his full debut. I've still got the ticket and the programme.

Comment

Internationals returning to Belfast after the 4 year gap from 1971-75. Was very jealous of some Nate's at school who got to see the first game. A 1-0 win against Yugoslavia

Comment

I have to say that both of my two favourite football memories are wrong inasmuch as neither of them involved my favourite teams then nor now and one was from benefiting directly from Wales not getting to the 1978 World Cup.

The first was Liverpool vs Borussia Monchegladbach. It was the start of the run of English clubs in the European Cup finals, it was Ray's (second, ok) team and thriillingly not only was it all live on TV but we were allowed to stay up on a school night to watch it.

The second was this.

Oddly, I must have watched every FA Cup final in, at least, the latter part of the decade but none stick in the head in the same way.

Comment

Bohemians winning the league in 1978.I was 14 and supporting for my second full year. I thought that titles would turn up regularly. I didn't know that I would be double my age before we won another major trophy ( the Cup in 1992) , and I would be 37 before we won another league.

Comment

The theme tune to the Argentina World Cup.

https://youtu.be/2c__vAtx_-o

Comment

Stuffing Arsenal.

Comment

Easy one this, even for a Leeds United supporter.... Scotland beating England in 1977. Should have been 3-0 if the penalty decisions had gone the right way. And the pitch invasion of course:
                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGLrfSn4dvc

Comment

Probably my first match at the Lane: 5/4/75. Spurs beat Luton 2-1 in a basement derby that helped greatly in the fight against relegation, with goals from the Scots combination of Duncan and Conn. (Succumbed to the inevitable two seasons later...)

In terms of the broader game, (literally) watching Brazil - well, the 1970 World Cup-winning vintage anyway. That was pretty much what converted me to football.

Comment

Wasn't born, gramps.

Comment

Originally posted by EIM View Post
                      Wasn't born, gramps.
                      Then why don't you draw us a picture of your favouritest player then, sonny.

Comment

Originally posted by jdsx View Post
                        Easy one this, even for a Leeds United supporter.... Scotland beating England in 1977. Should have been 3-0 if the penalty decisions had gone the right way. And the pitch invasion of course:
                        Back in the days when I thought pitch invasions were cool...Newcastle -
                        Nottingham Forest from 1974.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean of the Shed View Post

Then why don't you draw us a picture of your favouritest player then, sonny.
                          Clue : it's Jimmy Greenhoff

Comment

I was only born in 1970 so can only vaguely remember the very end of the decade. This is the moment that is most vivid, Trevor Francis's header in the 1979 European Cup final.

Comment

1976 was the first year I became really engrossed with footy. The European Championship final, Saints upsetting the odds in the FA Cup and the Bicentennial tournament.

Comment

Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post

Clue : it's Jimmy Greenhoff
                                It was mentioned in a Tommy Doc biography that the signing of Greenhoff (in November 1976 for £120,000) was the one that transformed Man U from a useful but flawed side into one that could win trophies. Infact, without that signing, Liverpool would have won the treble.

Comment

30th August 1972. One of my first ever games. A 7 year old me going mental as Leicester, 2-0 down to Liverpool thanks to a brace from John Toshack, completely turned it on in the second half to win 3-2 with the great Keith Weller scoring a hat-trick. Amongst all of the great City players I've seen and all of the games I've been too, this one is my first really clear memory, hence the avatar pic of the genius.

Comment

The pitch invasion at Oakwell after beating Grimsby Town 2-1 in front of 21,000 to clinch promotion from Division Four in 1978/79.

I'd been going for about three years by this point, and although we'd come close to winning promotion before, it seemed like promotion was something that happened to Other Clubs. Before the season started though we had named Allan Clarke player manager - a move that would only be matched for shock value now if we named Messi to the same role, And then everything around the club changed...

I stood on the pitch with my dad while the players went into the directors box. Clarke gave a speech and the players threw their shirts into the crowd (and Mick McCarthy his shorts). I had found my true calling in life.

Comment

Were you there for Exeter 1977, 3-0 to 3-4? That would have tested any young faith.

But it would be one of my favourite memories, a late Wednesday night phone call after I'd gone to bed in despair at half time.

Comment

Liverpool beating Leeds 2-0 to win the league in 1973. The first time I'd actually been in the ground to see us win something.

Being at the two legs versus St Etienne in 1977. The first time I'd ever been out of either England or Wales.

Panenkas penalty in the Euro 76 Final. Nobody truly thought you could be so casual with such a vital pen.

Oh. And defo Bobby Stokes in the 1976 FA Cup Final.

Comment

(tee rex)

I was there. I think I've mentioned it on here before. Three nil up at half time. I told my dad with glee that if the second half was the same as the first we'd win 6-0 - an unheard of score back then!

Anyway, it stayed three nil until seventeen minutes to go, and then...

We went home and I got a bowl of cereal for my supper (night match), sat down to eat it, and just began to cry. Nothing has ever hurt as much football wise as that.

Comment

I don't think I've ever experienced that (three up and losing). Not sure I could have handled it.

Anyway, a memory from actually being there: first away trip with "lads", on the supporters' coach to Newport County, FA Cup 77/78. I was (am) softer than a marshmallow, but this was another world. Singing! Swearing! Lying! And that rare experience (for Exeter fans anyway) of arriving at a ground and hearing your fans at the turnstile before you see them. That's wee-wee levels of excitement.

Comment

#1 - 1976 - San Jose Earthquakes v. New York Cosmos at Spartan Stadium.

I bugged my dad to get tickets just to see Pele. He came through with excellent seats and it was a great game. Spartan Stadium is around 25,000 and fans are very close to the action. I know the Earthquakes won 2-1, but had to look up the date (August 7) and the scorers (Johnny Moore and John Rowlands SJ, Keith Eddy for Cosmos). The one thing that surprised us (which should not have come as a surprise at all) was the instant the ref blew for full-time, Pele stripped off his jersey and raced for the dressing room. Sure enough there was a few crazies who got on the pitch to grab the #10. Professional cheerleader Crazy George was all over the stadium, even climbing the floodlight tower and bashing his drum.

#2 - Viking Stavanger v. Rangers (1975) & Leeds (1976)

Both games were summer friendlies and my friends and I were easily able to wander and sit right behind the goals. The Rangers and Leeds players were extremely approachable and I remember not being able to understand a single word Alex MacDonald said to me.

Comment

On TV: West-Germany winning the 1974 World Cup. I was 8, and as happy as an eight-year-old could be.

At the game: My home team losing 6-0 at home to Concordia Hamburg was memorable in a bitter way. Going to my first Bundesliga game with my father and being on the pitch before the game, meeting players, then watching the game from the press stand, and afterwards sitting in (so to speak) at the press conference was special. The Hamburg coach, Kuno Klötzer, ruffled my hair. All that was when I was still 8.

At 11 I saw St Pauli beat Hamburg (with Kevin Keegan) 2-0 in the first Bundesliga derby at the Volksparkstadion; that was memorable because it was historic.

On the radio: The live conference of the final day of the 1977/78 season. Köln was ahead on goal difference to win the league, but Mönchengladbach was beating Dortmund 12-0. In the end, Köln won 5-0 at St Pauli and were crowned Bundesligameister.

Comment

Dennis Tueart's overhead kick which won the 1976 League Cup final. I was at Wembley to watch, it was a decent game and the atmosphere between Man City and Newcastle fans before, during and after the game was memorably warm. Most un - 70's.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X