The First Football Shirt You Ever Owned

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The First Football Shirt You Ever Owned

The topic was raised in an episode of the Nutmeg magazine podcast and I really had to rack my brains. But it was this thing of beauty, the St Etienne shirt from 1979/80. So what was the first football shirt you ever owned?

I had that St-Etienne shirt. I once answered the door to the pools collector wearing it. He took the piss because he thought I was advertising the fact that I really liked TV.

My first shirt was one of these.

Last edited by Hot Orange; 29-03-2020, 12:25.

Comment

This. Full kit in a box. I loved Andy Gray too much.

Comment

Here's mine, modelled by supercool George.

It was fairly swiftly rendered obsolete by the badge change and switch to silk effect material, leading to a concerted nag of my parents to get me the one HeavyDracula had.

Comment

This was mine, which came in a full kit presentation box like Heavy Dracula's ;

Here I am modelling it from a previous time we did this ;

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
          This is my first shirt/kit. Liverpool 76-79 with a matching pendant if I recall correctly. A gift from my nouveau riche Auntie & Uncle despite the fact the latter was a Cardiff season ticket holder who took me on my rare visits to Ninian Park.

To be fair, Liverpool were my other side (I certainly look happy enough in it) and I'm not even sure you could buy replica shirts for Cardiff then.

My dad isn't nude btw, he has his bathers on. I've cropped my mum and her bikini out of the shot though.

Comment

My first shirt was an Ireland one from the early 80s. I can't find any pictures of it online. Home green collarless shirt with gold/yellow pinstripes.

My first Bohs shirt was around 1686/87, it was the first one the club brought out, Arsenalesque red with black sleeves, I think I still have it.

Comment

I've still got my first Liverpool shirt. It must be from when I was about 8, as it's got Hitachi on the front.

Comment

Rangers 1968. A gift from my grandmother. My brother rebelled and asked my parents for a Hibs top (he knew Celtic would be pushing his luck a bit).

Mine's was too big for me. The bottom of the 'V' came down to my navel.

Comment

I've never owned a replica shirt. They weren't a big thing when I was a lad and to be honest I've never really been fussed.

Comment

Mine had WANG on the front. it went from yellow to a bit green after to many washes.

Comment

Er, are we still talking about shirts?

Comment

I didn't post a picture last time I did this... this one isn't mine.

1 - the crest and Adidas logo started flaking off rather quickly due to Mam not taking care of it in the wash and
                        2 - it looks a bit big for a seven-year-old.

Comment

The Manchester United one from about 95-96 that had Old Trafford printed on it. I know it screams gloryhunter what with me being from Essex but my like for Manchester United come from a pair of pyjamas.

What I now recognise as an uncharacteristic move from my Mum, in what must have been about 94-95, we visited my Dad’s family as part of a trip that would see my Dad off to Old Trafford to watch Rugby League. With a 3/4 year old and a 7/8 year old to pack for, my Mum had forgot to pack me any pyjamas and my Dad was taking the car to Old Trafford so my Mum made him get me some pyjamas from there. Apparently, I loved the Fred The Red pyjamas he come home with that much I wanted to wear them night and day and so, that’s where it come from.

Comment

That seems pretty solid reasoning, Jumbo.

I was very tempted to buy some replacement garden tools from the Fortuna Dusseldorf city centre shop last autumn, but remembered at the last moment that I was flying with hand luggage only.

Comment

The previous season's shirt, reduced to a fiver at Allsports in Altrincham. I was never going to be able to save ten weeks' worth of pocket money, but when my great auntie visited from Canada and wanted to buy me something, there was only one choice. Now worth around £100 online.

Comment

This is a really good question, and I'm actually not sure what the answer is.

I take it that we are not including kit that one actually played in as a kid, and the fact of the matter is that replica kit of any kind was virtually impossible to obtain in the US into the 80s (my experience was that it was somewhat easier to get in Canada, particularly Vancouver and Victoria, where all kinds of "exotic" things British were imported regularly).

My best guess is that it is this one, which I would have bought at WHL in 1983, and still have somewhere

Comment

This very one. Worn when I was a mascot in 1986. Mrs Thistle got it framed for me a couple of years ago.

Comment

That's a quality shirt.

And I like the way the Padres' badges are reflected in the glass.

Comment

IIRC it was a Grasshopper shirt (i.e. Zurich). I'm not a Grasshopper fan. Nor is my cousin who gave it to me as a present, though he is Swiss. We (i.e. my parents with me tagging along) bought him a Liverpool shirt in return... from the QPR club shop. It was the only non-QPR branded item in the place. The shop assistant took the piss mightily. Again, no-one in my immediate family is a Liverpool fan. Nor is my cousin (Basel and Barcelona are his teams).

The first shirt I bought for myself was the Cambridge United LDV Vans final shirt. Dark blue with light blue panels. As seen here:- https://i.pinimg.com/236x/fa/33/e0/f...ted-finals.jpg - the shirt colours really bring out the orange of Dave Kitson's hair, don't they? [he must have died it]

Comment

Linked to Ray's post above, I had this one - like Ray's, in a presentation box - from, I assume, around the same time and from the same relatives.

Originally posted by Bordeaux Education View Post
                                        The companion piece of Ray's is the Leeds kit that I got at the time for the same uncle and aunt. I loved this kit and still do but preferred the white first kit but was still over the moon about this. It had the shorts and socks as well but not the number sock tags. I don't know about Ray's Liverpool kit but I remember this came in a presentation box. There is a classic picture of me in this kit and Ray in his playing football against each other but I have yet to find it in my parents' house.

Comment

I'm sure I've mentioned it before; mine was this one, in the form of the Denis Law International Football Kit, boxed with shorts and socks, for Christmas in (I'm guessing) 1968 or 69:

No idea why. But it was followed quite shortly afterwards (maybe for my birthday in January?) by:

Which I now suspect may have been 'last season's' shirt, but I was too young to know or care.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                                            This very one. Worn when I was a mascot in 1986. Mrs Thistle got it framed for me a couple of years ago.

I'm not sure I've ever been aware before that Shrewsbury used to have an actual shew (or a stylised on, at least) as their badge.

It's terrible.

Comment

I always thought it was inspired by Wednesday's minimalist owl and Derby's updated ram

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post

I'm not sure I've ever been aware before that Shrewsbury used to have an actual shew (or a stylised on, at least) as their badge.

It's terrible.
                                                It was acceptable in the 80s...

I've got a pin badge with it on as well.

Comment

An old family friend gave me this beauty of a Spurs shirt when I was 8:

My first Cheltenham shirt was this one from the 95/96 season:

Comment

Working...
                                                  X