Not Missing Football

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not Missing Football

Does anyone else feel this way? I think I do but I might feel differently if we get to October without a ball being kicked:

[URL]https://twitter.com/bglendenning/status/1242979118796419078[/URL]

Feel free to expand the discussion to include other sports. I will miss Wimbledon and I would miss a good Test cricket series (although they are quite rare in this era where the home team has huge advantages). I might miss the Euros but not hugely, as I tend to feel that watching recent Euros for me had become about responding to a childhood reflex (and not feeling left out of conversations) than truly enjoying games. World Cup still has the thrill of a non-European team like Japan or Nigeria upsetting a big reputation nation.
    Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 26-03-2020, 11:22.

I should think if your only experience of sport is to passively watch it on a screen, you probably wouldn't miss it compared to a scripted TV show. I'm sure all the punditry and bells and whistles that come with Sky sports gets very annoying and dispiriting too. Maybe after all this is over people will go to check out a local team and enjoy being outside.

Comment

I'm missing getting out of the house and going to matches near and far, although even much of that has been pretty dull fare this season. Tuesday evening I was a bit grumpy thinking "I should be watching Swallownest play Albion Sports in the NCEL League Cup tonight".

In terms of the professional game though, no, not at all currently. No manufactured hype, no VAR, no pretending to care about whether Liverpool win the league, no TALKING POINTS, no more Saturdays where United bloody well win again while Wednesday go down to another grim defeat.

I am missing cycling though, and will miss (proper) cricket when the season should have started.

Comment

If you knew it wasn't coming back at the end of all this, you'd miss it. I think about the times I had every hour of every day.

Comment

I miss it a lot less than I thought I would.

Probably 'not missing the stress of watching my lot muddling along as though they've never played the game before' is a more accurate summary.

Comment

I miss going to local games, and I very much like watching tournament football on TV (although I have no idea what the planned format is/was for the Euros). That's about as far as it goes, though.

Comment

Think it's great. Utrecht haven't dropped a point since the outbreak.

Comment

I was definitely looking forward to seeing a few New Mexico United games this season. They had a so-so debut season on the field last year, but easily led the league in attendance and there was such a positive buzz all throughout the year.

Comment

I miss it. I miss standing with the Ultras under the TV gantry at Jenner Park. I miss sitting next to my Mum in block 14 at the Meadow.

I'd been looking forward to the Euros games I was going to at Hampden and Wembley. I'd been looking forward to going to the Stadium of Light in Sunderland to see Shrewsbury play there the weekend after my birthday. I also had plans for Easter weekend.

This season I was going to go to at least 40 matches, which would be a record for me. I feel I've lost something there.

I'm sure I will get over it.

Comment

I'm missing football and sport in general desperately. So much so that I can't binge on old footage as others seem to be doing as it will only make me feel the absence of real live sport more keenly. I don't even want to read about it much at the moment as it's all too "Let's have a look at what you would have won".

Sport gives my life it's structure. That goes for the weekly routine of midweek and Saturday matchgoing through to the highlights in the calendar of events like the Six Nations or Ryder Cup and in to the seasonal shifts I make from attending predominantly football and rugby in autumn to spring and then going to speedway, cricket, athletics, tennis and others in the summer.

That's even before I get in to the fact that around a dozen mates and I were all booked up for the Euros together in Baku and Rome (and hopefully onwards to who knows where) to try and recapture the feeling of the best month of my life four years ago.

It's really shit not having it and we're only a few weeks in, fuck knows what six months might be like.
                    Last edited by Ray de Galles; 26-03-2020, 15:38.

Comment

I miss seeing my friends

Comment

I don't miss football every summer, particularly if Carlisle have had a bad season, when I'm usually glad to see the back of it.

But as others suggest it's more the social aspect that will be particularly missed this year, in the absence of alternative opportunities to see people.

Comment

Originally posted by Kowalski View Post
                          I miss seeing my friends
                          +1 , I miss football like I miss all my social activities, like I miss going for a pint with my friends, like I miss being able to have a stroll around the shops on a Sunday afternoon, I miss fucking everything.

Comment

Originally posted by elguapo4 View Post

+1 , I miss football like I miss all my social activities, like I miss going for a pint with my friends, like I miss being able to have a stroll around the shops on a Sunday afternoon, I miss fucking everything.
                            + 1000

Comment

I'm missing it desperately and it isn't even my favourite sport. I'm missing that too.

Without wanting to sound too much like Simon Inglis, I'm missing going to new grounds and seeing them for the first time, missing taking pictures of the stands, watching the dreadful warm-up hoofs out of the ground, 90 minutes of moaning by the fans and often getting back home after midnight.

I'm not impressed about cancelling the season below the National Leagues...

Comment

I'm missing it so little that I'm almost worried about how little I'm missing it. With distance, football seems more and more absurd. Not the game itself, but how we relate to it and the emotion we invest in it.

For older OTFers - remember after Heysel and Hillsborough when we all thought we'd never watch another game? I suppose that's what some of us are going through right now. The thought of going back to how things were, though, is a profoundly depressing commentary on the human condition. And I'm not betting against me being first in line at the fucking turnstile.

Comment

I'm missing it but it definitely feels less important right now. I'm more upset though that this year we had tickets for Wimbledon for the first time with a hotel and 4 nights in London to look forward to.

Comment

I'm missing it. I'm missing the planning of where I might go, the finding somewhere to park where your car looks safe, the excitement of turning up at a new ground, the cosy familiarity of turning up at a favourite ground, the bovril, the meeting up with mates, the checking-in on the futbology app, the standing in silence for long periods glumly watching a terrible game, the chance to shout CUNT! in public without getting locked up, the checking your phone to see how other teams are doing, the texting your mates with score updates, the thrill of seeing an away win, a home win, any sort of win, the getting back to the car in time for the scores on 5 Live and turning the heater on to get some feeling back in your feet, the drive back down the M6 over Shap as the evening sun sets across the Howgills, the watching the highlights you've recorded from Quest on Sunday morning. Yeah, I'm missing it alright.

Comment

Not missing it and don't usually miss it in the summer. I find it a lot easier to switch off than I did when I was youmger, but probably because I don't follow it as intensively these days.

Comment

I'm in between the wo extremes. I completely understand Gigglers POV, having lost an ice hockey team that I worked hard for and loved being part of. But in terms of football, I don't miss the hype or the fact that the actual matches were getting in the way of the opinion pieces, the indepth tactical analysis, the gossip and the "banter". It was like the WWE, where its the promo that matters, not the match.

But I usually got to most games at the Turf post-Christmas, and I was really looking forward to it all. Driving up, see my Dad, take a picture of the "next game" board, sit down and have a laugh and a shout and a sing. With working away and doing so much at weekends, it was an escape to "my" thing.

Comment

I think WWE is a good comparison. The promo stuff and the tiresome nonsense around which manager is a c-word because he played 5-4-1 instead of 4-3-2-1, or which player deserves to die because he pretended to kiss a bage, was pathetic, and a big chunk of the reason why I come here to read folks' opinions because this place has generally managed to avoid the soap opera side of football.

Comment

Originally posted by Kowalski View Post
                                            I miss seeing my friends
                                            Quite.

Comment

Originally posted by imp View Post
                                              For older OTFers - remember after Heysel and Hillsborough when we all thought we'd never watch another game?
                                              Because those two matches involved "big clubs" they didn't impinge on me as much as Bradford.

Comment

I miss my mates, and Old Trafford, and the event. Do I kick lads I don't know kicking a ball around a pitch? Yeah I probably do. I even miss the endless bollocks about VAR given the alternative topic of conversation. Can't wait for it to come back, to be able to go to my pub, see regulars, mates, strangers and then all fuck off to an event with 75,000 others. I miss a time when we could score a last minute winner in a derby and I could turn round and snog someone I've never met before without fear of killing my neighbour and parents. I miss Bruno Fernandes, Aaron Wan Bissaka and Juan Mata. I miss all of it, folks.

Comment

Though I'm absolutely not surprised by Glendenning's take, the miserable fucker.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X