Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Real Madrid 1955-1960.

Comment

Thanks to jon that's 29 entries now. Still no Liverpool team of any era? No Spain?
      With or without them we will begin once we have three more nominations in.

Comment

Leicester 2016. Would be expected to struggle against the likes of Ajax and Brazil, but they were expected to struggle for the whole of that season. I'm relying on the fact that they were clearly blackmailing God to see them through.

Comment

Liverpool 2018-2020. Mostly to have them in the mix. I'm not old enough to have seen the 70s or 80s vintage.

Comment

Originally posted by pebblethefish View Post
            Leicester 2016. Would be expected to struggle against the likes of Ajax and Brazil, but they were expected to struggle for the whole of that season. I'm relying on the fact that they were clearly blackmailing God to see them through.
            I've nominated but not seconded - so I'll second this one

Comment

Originally posted by anton pulisov View Post
              Nigeria 1994-1998

Could have gone the whole way in 1994.
              Olympic champions 1996.
              Knocked out Spain in 1998.

And they were just fun to watch, really.
              This is why I like this guy so much. Always posting sensible stuff.
              I second this nomination, as you all expected me to.

Comment

And of course being tonked 4-1 in 1998 second round by Denmark just adds to the mystery. The Laudrup brothers never played so well together as in that match
                Last edited by anton pulisov; 24-03-2020, 10:06.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                  Did they really under-estimate Denmark? The Danes had a reputation already from Euro 84, for which they qualified by knocking out England, and that group was the pre-advertised Group Of Death. I'd also say that the loss to Morocco simply went to form; Scotland were very poor (relative to their 70s sides) by 1998.
                  Maybe it's because I've just watched the BBC documentary series on Scottish football on iPlayer and that's informing these views a lot, but they definitely fancied their chances against Morocco and were surprised a bunch of lads who played at first-division or high second-division Italian, French and Spanish clubs could, er, play a bit.

In the end, Scotland would have failed to qualify even had they won because Norway upset Brazil.

Originally posted by DPDPDPDP View Post

Jock Stein made poor team selections in 1982. Including picking Allan Evans for one of his 4 Scotland caps against New Zealand in a match where Scotland conceded 2 goals - Scotland Missed out on qualifying on goal difference by 2 goals. Stein had much, much better defenders at his disposal, such as Aberdeen’s Willie Miller. Stein wasn’t exactly helped by the likes of Alan Hansen who tackled Miller whilst facing his own goal in the final game versus Russia when the ball was obviously Miller’s to clear. Hansen played in all 3 games and Scotland conceded 8 goals. Tin hat on, Hansen was a great player for Liverpool but he was average at best for Scotland.

I don’t think “who the fuck are these lot” is valid for Denmark (who had a very good team). Against Costa Rica and Morocco, Scotland played very poorly, nothing more, nothing less.
                  Good details, I just didn't see anything pop out at me regarding 82 in the way you can look at other tournaments. Certainly 1978, where Ally McLeod seemed to completely write off the Copa America champions, much less Iran.

Comment

Originally posted by Flynnie View Post
                    Maybe it's because I've just watched the BBC documentary series on Scottish football on iPlayer and that's informing these views a lot, but they definitely fancied their chances against Morocco and were surprised a bunch of lads who played at first-division or high second-division Italian, French and Spanish clubs could, er, play a bit.

In the end, Scotland would have failed to qualify even had they won because Norway upset Brazil.

Good details, I just didn't see anything pop out at me regarding 82 in the way you can look at other tournaments. Certainly 1978, where Ally McLeod seemed to completely write off the Copa America champions, much less Iran.
                    Scotland went to South America in 1977 for a couple of friendliest. They beat Chile 4-2 and drew 1-1 with Argentina (winners in 1978). I think this successful tour Actually contributed to the poor performance in 1978. Also significant was That Scotland were 1-0 up against Peru before Don Masson missed a penalty. Who knows what might have happened had we been 2-0 ahead.

iran was shocking performance and just a complete and utter embarrassment, especially coming after Peru when it was a must wIn game. Holland was just typical Scotland- great performance, but too late. How can you draw 1-1 with Peru and then beat Holland 3 days later?

Comment

Guys, This thread would be 1000% better with some youtube links to accompany your excellent posts.

Comment

To support my nomination - Leeds tearing Southampton a new one in the 71/72 season

Comment

Originally posted by Tactical Genius View Post
                          Guys, This thread would be 1000% better with some youtube links to accompany your excellent posts.
                          Here are Forest absolutely pulverizing Man Utd at Old Trafford. The third goal in particular, Gemmill setting up Robertson, is an absolute peach.
                          And as I said in my nomination, just check out the film I Believe in Miracles.

Comment

Meanwhile, one more nomination and we have 32 teams to go ahead with this. Come on somebody,

Comment

Perhaps as the organiser you can shoehorn in another one yourself? Celtic 1967 for example?

Comment

How about Brendan Rodger's Celtic.

Comment

I think Spain 2008-10 are covered by Barcelona 2008-09, who are actually a better side.

It would make sense to have the current world champions, who won it quite convincingly (quite similar to Spain 2010 in that their closest and probably luckiest KO game was the final).
                                  Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 24-03-2020, 20:16.

Comment

tottenham hotspur 1960 - 63

Comment

Looks like Brendan Rodgers Celtic just pipped Bill Nicholson's Spurs to the last spot.

Comment

Unless, of course, we have a play-off, after all qualifying play-offs are de riguer these days.

Celtic 16-19 v Spurs 60-63
                                        Pick yourselves a winner, votes close at 12 midday tomorrow.

Comment

And by the way, nominations are now closed.

Comment

Spurs by a mile

Comment

Spurs for me too

Comment

I have to say Spurs as well.

Comment

Sorry Ted, I have to opt for Spurs.

Comment

Spurs

Comment

Working...
                                                    X