• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Footballers and CoronaVirus

[URL]https://twitter.com/david_conn/status/1237089692291665920?s=21[/URL]

https://twitter.com/FabrizioRomano/status/1237116701872971776?s=20

Comment

From Conn's article:

Consideration of postponing matches or ordering them to be played spectator free is understood to be balancing concern that gatherings indoors to watch sport on television in pubs could be more hazardous for the spread of the virus than crowds outdoors. There are also concerns on safety and policing grounds if fans were to gather in large numbers outside closed stadiums while matches are being played.
      I infer that it would only make sense to play the games behind closed doors if you also closed pubs, which are actually higher risk gatherings.

I also think player power will kick in here, as it has in Italy. Players will not risk infecting themselves or their loved ones.

I'd be interested in the PFA's position. It appears to have not yet issued a statement but I'd be surprised if it allowed its members to be exposed to risk. At the very least, I'd expect players to be given the option of not playing.

Comment

You'd not be much of a supporter if you demanded a refund on your season ticket.

Comment

Two of Cosenza's starting XI refused to get on the plane to Verina, where they played Chievo tonight.

They are expected to be suspended.

Comment

Purely from a sporting point of view, there is absolutely no point in playing matches behind closed doors - it's like a stadium rock band playing to an empty arena. Just suspend the fucking leagues and I'm sure we'll be able to survive without football for a few weeks. The Bundesliga's Christian Seifert reckons that the end of the season in mid-May is non-negotiable. Well, you should have thought of that before you signed those fat tv rights contracts. What if a turbo-hurricane hit Germany and all the stadiums were destroyed - would you suspend the league then?

Comment

I don't know why sport stadia are being targeted but we aren't, for example, shutting all outpatient clinics in hospitals and exerting control on visitors. Or train stations, or the fucking Tube. Christ, you risk getting TB on there.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                Two of Cosenza's starting XI refused to get on the plane to Verina, where they played Chievo tonight.

They are expected to be suspended.
                Seems harsh if the government has already stated travel is unsafe.

Comment

Originally posted by Foot of Astaire's View Post
                  You'd not be much of a supporter if you demanded a refund on your season ticket.
                  While I agree with that, you'd be looking at over £300 refund if you support a BRC with 6 home fixtures left to play. Some people might really need that money, especially if their employment or business suffers from the effects of the virus.

Comment

Originally posted by Third rate Leszno View Post
                    While I agree with that, you'd be looking at over £300 refund if you support a BRC with 6 home fixtures left to play. Some people might really need that money, especially if their employment or business suffers from the effects of the virus.
                    Indeed, there's no shortage of money at the top end of football, don't let those bastards keep your cash. Shouldn't they be insured against this anyway?

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                      the fucking Tube. Christ, you risk getting TB on there.
                      Not risk, you actually do #speakingfromexperience

Comment

Originally posted by imp View Post

Indeed, there's no shortage of money at the top end of football, don't let those bastards keep your cash. Shouldn't they be insured against this anyway?
                        Whilst I agree with your sentiment I was thinking more around the article that suggested L1 and L2 clubs would be in danger of going under if they had to do refunds. I'd think most folk who buy an ST at the start of the season, however difficult that may be, have long since written that money off come March. Its not like many of us get value for money!

Comment

Clubs ought to have insured themselves against disasters, wars and epidemics given global warming and war risks etc.

Comment

If, or indeed when, we get to the situation where games continue behind closed doors, isn't there a very big risk that fans will congregate outside the grounds anyway. It's surely foreseeable that thousands could be outside Anfield if Liverpool's title winning game is one of them for example.

Comment

That's why Basel have cancelled the return leg in the Europa League. Putatitve Frankfurt fans who'd come and gather outside the stadium.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenlander View Post
                                If, or indeed when, we get to the situation where games continue behind closed doors, isn't there a very big risk that fans will congregate outside the grounds anyway. It's surely foreseeable that thousands could be outside Anfield if Liverpool's title winning game is one of them for example.
                                There will be big crowds outside Mestalla this evening to greet the team coach and then to watch the game in their hundreds in the many bars nearby.

Comment

It's still not clear if Inter v Getafe will be moved to another venue on Thursday. If it goes ahead, Getafe will fly in an out on the same day.

2,600 Atletico fans traveling to Liverpool today must also be an issue, unless they are already there, in which case the horse has already bolted.
                                  Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 10-03-2020, 11:50.

Comment

LASK v Manchester United is going ahead, say Austrian government boffins, but are more coy about whether or not any fans will be allowed. My mates are pissed off as they've already paid for travel and the insurance won't cover the cancellation apparently. I'm feeling smug, as I didn't book to go as I'm still paying off an emotional debt after going to fucking Kazakhstan last year.

Comment

https://twitter.com/danielstorey85/s...803320834?s=19

It's here!

Comment

Forest are at Sheff Weds on Saturday so that will be interesting.

In the Europa, Olympiakos v Wolves and Sevilla v Roma are already restricted to behind closed doors.
                                        Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 10-03-2020, 12:44.

Comment

Forest played on a Monday night and Friday night in the same week instead of the past two Saturdays? Bizarre scheduling.

Comment

Gladbach have explained that their insurance cover pays out if matches are cancelled, but not if they are held behind closed doors. That may be rather standard, and as a result they will be taking a significant hit from refunds and the loss of other match day revenue.

Comment

Slovakia v Ireland Euro2020 playoff confirmed as behind closed doors, looks certin that Bosnia v N Ireland will be too

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                                                Clubs ought to have insured themselves against disasters, wars and epidemics given global warming and war risks etc.
                                                Are you serious? It's an absurd suggestion even before you address the fact that epidemics/communicable diseases (as well as other issues from your list above) are specifically excluded from most insurance policies.
                                                Last edited by Ray de Galles; 10-03-2020, 13:52.

Comment

I think that Satchmo's view is grounded in unfamiliarity with the insurance market.

Cover that broad would bankrupt a massive number of clubs before they could make a claim.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X