No announcement yet.

Footballers and CoronaVirus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Multiple Conference North & South clubs threatening legal action over the vote apparently. No surprise that the always immensely dislikable Dorking Wanderers are amongst them.

Comment

I've seen knobber from Dorking and one of the chairs from Gloucester say as much - have others?

Comment

Fylde are the other ones I've noticed, which is unsurprising on a few counts.

Comment

York have put out a statement confirming that 19 teams have written to the league asking to be allowed to play on in their own mini-league with promotions and relegations being honoured. The other signatories are AFC Fylde, Gloucester City, Boston United, Havant & Waterlooville, Chelmsford City, Hemel Hempstead Town, Chorley, Hungerford Town, Concord Rangers, Kidderminster Harriers, Dartford, Oxford City, Dorking Wanderers, St Albans City, Eastbourne Borough, Welling United and Ebbsfleet United.
          Last edited by Jobi1; 19-02-2021, 18:38. Reason: Wrong number

Comment

Relegations being honoured too, eh? I bet they don't mean relegation from their divisions being honoured. If they do, Welling United - who are bottom of the South division and one of only three of the teams listed that are in the bottom half of their table - would be shoo-ins to go down. Their voting to continue would be one of the greatest self-owns of recent times. The rank hypocrisy of Fylde, who voted for the league to be cancelled last season when (probably because) they were in a relegation place would be staggering, were it not for the fact that the club seems to be shitlords from top to bottom.

I'm disappointed but not surprised to see St Albans on the list. Since the current lot have been in charge, they've shunted the prices up to a point where some of the old regulars started boycotting, and proposed moving the club to a completely unnecessary new ground in a village outside the city, presumably to make a killing from building housing near it. I was a good friend of the chairman's brother when I was about 16, my recollection of him (the chairman, that is) is that he was a bit of a dick, then.

Comment

Gloucester City fans are continuing to spit feathers about the situation and are fully backing their gobshite chairman over this.

Then again, these are people who call anyone who's set up their own phoenix club quitters who allowed their original clubs to die, so I don't think you should read too much into their moral compass.

Comment

Originally posted by My Name Is Ian View Post
                I'm disappointed but not surprised to see St Albans on the list. Since the current lot have been in charge, they've shunted the prices up to a point where some of the old regulars started boycotting, and proposed moving the club to a completely unnecessary new ground in a village outside the city, presumably to make a killing from building housing near it. I was a good friend of the chairman's brother when I was about 16, my recollection of him (the chairman, that is) is that he was a bit of a dick, then.
                It was Stale Buns who called us (called me, really) lying fraudulent cheats, back in, when was it now, December 2005? And never apologised or withdrew. So yeah, anyway, so I've never liked them.

And yeah, Ian, the letter makes it very clear that these 19 clubs want "promotion and relegation between steps 1 and 2", and nothing else.
                Last edited by DCI Harry Batt; 20-02-2021, 11:08.

Comment

Originally posted by Simon G View Post
                  Gloucester City fans are continuing to spit feathers about the situation and are fully backing their gobshite chairman over this.
                  I had a read of their forum, and it seems a bit more nuanced than that. The majority seem pretty resigned, but there are a couple still caterwauling for this replacement league made up of the clubs that want to continue nonsense. And I get it. It's enormously disappointing. From what I can see, it's been 30 years since Gloucester were anything like this close to the Conference, and that seems to have been pretty much a one-off. I've sent a message to my Gloucester-supporting friend (Jenni Silver, who works for Gloucestershire Live) to see what she makes of it all. She'll be a good bellwether for how things are down there.

It was the same on the St Albans forum. Most seemed pretty much resigned to it happening and are more concerned with all the clubs pulling through than anything else. The only real difference is a lot of them don't like the owner, so he's not getting the same slack cut for him that that mouthy berk from Gloucester did. (I heard him on the Non League Show last week and he had a distinct whiff of "I say what I like and I like what I bloody well say" about him - it was the first time I'd heard him speak and I took an instant dislike to him.)

It's all a little more ill-tempered on social media, of course, though I am quietly enjoying the rinsing that Fylde are getting.
                  Last edited by My Name Is Ian; 20-02-2021, 11:43.

Comment

Originally posted by TonTon View Post

It was Stale Buns who called us (called me, really) lying fraudulent cheats, back in, when was it now, December 2005? And never apologised or withdrew. So yeah, anyway, so I've never liked them.

And yeah, Ian, the letter makes it very clear that these 19 clubs want "promotion and relegation between steps 1 and 2", and nothing else.
                    Different owner to fifteen years ago, Kris. The construction company that Gibson owned had been pouring money into the football club for a few years in loans and went bust, with the club owing it half a million quid. The club almost ended up in administration as well. I don't know much about his personal circumstances, but it might even be a rare example of an owner actually being financially ruined themselves by running a football club really badly.

https://www.building.co.uk/news/the-...139911.article

There are a lot of similarities between the two. With Lee Harding before them, that club hasn't had an owner that has been much good in pushing a quarter of a century, now. But I've not been up there since 2012 and there's no chance of me ever moving back there, so it doesn't really feel much like 'home' in any meaningful sense. I'd probably go to a league game if they played down here, but the nearest NLS ground to here is probably Eastbourne, which is a horrible journey to make by public transport at the best of times, never mind with two squawking kids.

Comment

I had forgotten about Lee Harding's being at St Albans before he was Braintree. I do hope Gibson went bust personally, or at least suffered a lot. Though a quick squiz round LinkedIn and Companies House suggests he stayed in "the business" for a while.

I'd still like a retraction and an apology from the club, mind.
                      Last edited by DCI Harry Batt; 21-02-2021, 08:37.

Comment

Originally posted by My Name Is Ian View Post

I had a read of their forum, and it seems a bit more nuanced than that. The majority seem pretty resigned, but there are a couple still caterwauling for this replacement league made up of the clubs that want to continue nonsense. And I get it. It's enormously disappointing. From what I can see, it's been 30 years since Gloucester were anything like this close to the Conference, and that seems to have been pretty much a one-off. I've sent a message to my Gloucester-supporting friend (Jenni Silver, who works for Gloucestershire Live) to see what she makes of it all. She'll be a good bellwether for how things are down there.

It was the same on the St Albans forum. Most seemed pretty much resigned to it happening and are more concerned with all the clubs pulling through than anything else. The only real difference is a lot of them don't like the owner, so he's not getting the same slack cut for him that that mouthy berk from Gloucester did. (I heard him on the Non League Show last week and he had a distinct whiff of "I say what I like and I like what I bloody well say" about him - it was the first time I'd heard him speak and I took an instant dislike to him.)

It's all a little more ill-tempered on social media, of course, though I am quietly enjoying the rinsing that Fylde are getting.
                        That's the attitude he has, but don't you dare criticise him because he can go off in a huff straight away.

I was very much generalising about the City fans, but I do find them very hypocritical. Had this been before Petheram took over they would have been demanding null and void from the start.

Comment

Steve Cotterill was able to return home a couple.of days ago. He won't be attending any games for a while apparently.

Comment

https://twitter.com/ollie_bayliss/status/1364644682471473156?s=21

Comment

As expected. Nothing on step 7 yet though which is what I've been cautiously pinning my hopes on for live action before summer.

Comment

Is anyone else clear on whether fans could be allowed back from 12th April, or is it 17th May? 12th April is allowing outdoor hospitality to resume, as well as zoos, theme parks etc. subject to no groups of more than 6 but obviously larger volumes of people will be allowable providing they adhere to the 'keep your distance' type rules. All of which seems to fit with the limited crowd scenario we had last autumn, should clubs wish to have friendlies or organise a cup competition.

Comment

My understanding is May but that it may be earlier for grassroots. Perhaps best not to take my word for it though - I've only this evening realised my initial understanding of the statement from the FA about the resumption of grassroots football was wrong in that I'd thought step 7 was grassroots whereas apparently it constitutes the particular category, NLS feeder league whose future has yet to be determined.

Comment

If the government and FA are consistent with the rulings since Lockdown 1 than games at non-elite levels could start from March 29th and I've seen County leagues such as the Essex Olympian announce the scheduling fixtures from April 3rd (though this was half an hour before the FA's announcement about steps 3-6).

https://twitter.com/eofl/status/1364636243468894208?s=21
                                    Last edited by Ray de Galles; 24-02-2021, 22:55.

Comment

Originally posted by Third rate Leszno View Post
                                      Is anyone else clear on whether fans could be allowed back from 12th April, or is it 17th May? 12th April is allowing outdoor hospitality to resume, as well as zoos, theme parks etc. subject to no groups of more than 6 but obviously larger volumes of people will be allowable providing they adhere to the 'keep your distance' type rules. All of which seems to fit with the limited crowd scenario we had last autumn, should clubs wish to have friendlies or organise a cup competition.
                                      There's definitely some confusion and ambiguity with regard to the term "grassroots". As far as allowing limited crowds in to games from August last year it referred to anything below National Leagues South & North - which were the lowest rung of the elite levels.

However, the FA don't consider all non-elite levels as "grassroots" for actions such as the recent extension of this season to June which doesn't apply to Steps 3-6. They don't give an alternate term for those levels though.

Last edited by Ray de Galles; 24-02-2021, 22:55.

Comment

The Cymru Premier starts back on 6th March. Fixtures are out until 2 April, which I think covers off the whole of Phase 1. I'm not sure if Phase 2 is definitely going to happen.

Comment

Quite a few leagues announcing similar plans to this today, though the CCL is the highest level one I've seen so far - the others being County leagues.

I presume they'll all be called The Covid Cup.

https://twitter.com/ollie_bayliss/status/1365065547529019398?s=21
                                          Last edited by Ray de Galles; 26-02-2021, 11:48.

Comment

In an act of defiance at the NLN and NLS being declared null and void, Gloucester City are playing Dorking Wanderers in a friendly tomorrow at New Meadow Park.

Comment

That'll show 'em!

Comment

Liverpool County Premier and West Cheshire leagues have both announced they'll re-start from Easter, the latter will play out a 15 game season so that everyone plays each other once. The former have stopped allowing new player registrations as they obviously fear a host of higher level players suddenly registering at step 7. No word on spectators but many of those grounds (especially those not played at 4G hubs) are in public venues where 'dog walkers' could happen upon a game by accident.

Comment

A rise in "non-league dogs" photos on Twitter would be one for the small benefits of covid thread.

Comment

Went for a lunchtime walk through the local park, and noticed all the football pitches had been freshly marked out, so someone seems confident that saturday/sunday league matches will restart soon.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X