No announcement yet.

Footballers and CoronaVirus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm sure it did, and that the decision to kick that particular can down the road was deliberate

The same dynamic played out in fall/winter sports here

Comment

It took a long time for that first package to be agreed and the clubs were just relieved to get the three months at the time. The failure to anticipate a winter worsening was just ostrich behaviour because you'd have had to be wildly optimistic to think a third wave in January was unlikely.
      Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 21-01-2021, 22:23.

Comment

National Leagues North and South have been suspended "for two weeks" but I would imagine actually for the foreseeable future.

The National League carries on...for now.

Comment

Awkward for teams left in the FA Trophy in that tier. Do they forfeit or keep paying players?

Good article here by Southport manager Liam Watson

https://nonleaguedaily.com/no-care-i...its-on-season/
          Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 22-01-2021, 15:39.

Comment

Apparently it would cost the government more to furlough the players than to give the grants so it looks that the govt is deliberately being cuntish for ideological reasons (doesn't want to be seen to be giving "handouts" to clubs but furlough money can be justified because it goes to individuals).

Comment

I was speaking to a board member of a National League Premier club at the weekend who told me as a club they feel they will definitely continue with and complete the season unless government restrictions expressly forbid them from doing so.

I'm sceptical that will actually be the case but he was very definite about it.

Comment

https://twitter.com/ollie_bayliss/status/1354424178703790084?s=21

Comment

Given that the majority in steps 1 and 2 appear to be indicating they need grants, does this mean the season will trundle along OK now? Can't imagine there will be enough grant money for everyone...

Comment

https://twitter.com/Ollie_Bayliss/status/1354836415553613829?s=20

Comment

I don't think the grants to steps 3-6 would be enough to compensate them for loss of revenue from bars and entertainment, if indeed that's their purpose. They'd still want to furlough players if that's the case.

I infer that the NL resolution is in response to the govt statement being inadequate.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                        I infer that the NL resolution is in response to the govt statement being inadequate.
                        Would imagine so. And "consider the outcome of the season" suggests one of the options put forward will be to null and void it.

Comment

Steve Cotterill is still in hospital. He was admitted on 15 January.

Comment

Ah, I missed this here PT, and just posted the same in the 3rd division thread.

Comment

I don't think the grants to steps 3-6 would be enough to compensate them for loss of revenue from bars and entertainment, if indeed that's their purpose. They'd still want to furlough players if that's the case.
                              I was wondering what dent the amounts below would make on lost income myself but given grants can't be used to pay wages they are not going to affect any decision regarding furlough :

https://twitter.com/ollie_bayliss/status/1354429807258464256?s=21

Comment

Interesting piece in t'Athletic this morning, noting that it would cost the public purse more to furlough all the National League clubs than it would to pay out the 11m in grants.

Also noting that it appears minutes may not have been taken at the crucial meeting with the DCMS last autumn at which the clubs are claiming they were led to believe that the next round of funding would also be in the form of grants. Convenient, or deliberate naughtiness?

The Dulwich owner (again) made a very good point that these measures just covering periods of 3 months at a time are inadequate in an industry where clubs operate on 8–9 month cycles. Even if they do agree this next round of funding now to allow the leagues to carry on for the next few months, the problem is just going to arise again when the final few weeks of the season need covered.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                                  Steve Cotterill is still in hospital. He was admitted on 15 January.
                                  Apparently had a bad week - we're all very much keeping tabs on things down this way and hoping nothing but the best for Steve. Probably our greatest ever son (in a football sense).

Comment

I presume anyone interested in the ongoing farce in the Conference divisions is following Ollie Bayliss on twitter but thought I would highlight the situation. There has been a vote with regard to what happens with the season and if the two levels/three divisions take different actions. Meanwhile the Premier has been continuing while the North & South are due to resume tomorrow.

Some N & S clubs have announced they will not fulfil their fixtures while Billericay (now under more sensible ownership than previously) have been forced in to this compromise ;

https://twitter.com/Ollie_Bayliss/status/1357405931659800582?s=20

Comment

Kettering have said they won't play again, as have a few others (see Bayliss, thanks Ray for linking). Among the clubs supporting an end to the season are Darlington, Spennymoor and Chester. I'm curious at to what happens if the majority of NLN clubs vote to end the season but NLS goes the other way.

If clubs field a bunch of kids and end up in the bottom 3, do they go down? What happens if these weakened sides affect the race for promotion and play-offs?
                                      Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 05-02-2021, 14:34.

Comment

Dulwich Hamlet have been typically forthright and articulate in their response to the situation:

"Football authorities have been criticised in the past for not taking a strong enough stand to prevent owners from engaging in financial mismanagement leading to the loss of long-standing community clubs. A League competition threatening clubs with the direct aim of coercing owners to place those clubs at risk is an inexcusable contradiction in their rules and responsibilities"

Comment

Kettering have said they won't play again, as have a few others (see Bayliss, thanks Ray for linking). Among the clubs supporting an end to the season are Darlington, Spennymoor and Chester. I'm curious at to what happens if the majority of NLN clubs vote to end the season but NLS goes the other way.

If clubs field a bunch of kids and end up in the bottom 3, do they go down? What happens if these weakened sides affect the race for promotion and play-offs?
                                          I'm assuming these are all rhetorical questions so in the same vein I'd ask, where would clubs finishing in the bottom 3 be relegated to as there's little chance of any step 3 league finishing?

Dulwich Hamlet are spot on of course. I follow Ollie Bayliss but keep making the mistake of reading the replies to his tweets which are invariably the understandably frustrated but self-interested responses pointing to the current league position of every club going public with their verdict on next steps. There is though the unfortunate fact that there is a clear correlation between clubs' current league position and their views on whether to resume playing or not.

Comment

If the weather is bad through most of February, it will make give clubs time to stall.

Comment

Football supposed to be returning at elite level in Wales from 5 March. Then the second level from end of March. Revamped Welsh Cup as well. The season will run until the very end of May.

However all leagues tier 4 and below have been told they won't be starting or restarting. There may be scope for some friendlies before the season is out.

Comment

Non league in the north has actually dodged a right bullet with all this weather this winter. The ground is full of water after all the rain we've had, and every Saturday since the turn of the year has been cold and / or wet so there would have been mass postponements from waterlogging, frozen pitches or snow. Midweeks haven't been a great deal better so there wouldn't have been much opportunity to catch up there, and the likelihood is there would be teams now who wouldn't have played at all since Christmas. Even in normal times we'd be reaching a point now where there would be a huge backlog of fixtures and probably suggestions of a season extension.

Comment

I'm curious at to what happens if the majority of NLN clubs vote to end the season but NLS goes the other way.
                                                  From currently published voting intentions, it appears that will be the case. No idea how this is going to play out...

Comment

Working...
                                                  X