Footballers and CoronaVirus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
    My objection would be that in these COVID times you have to accept some flexibility. OTOH I can see how this may have been done to help a BRC (Spurs) avoid fixture congestion, and that the EPL would not have done this if the positions were reversed.
    I agree that forty-eight hours isn't long to prepare, but this season it's going to happen. Fulham were dealt a huge favour by allowing postponement of the fixture - just two hours before kick-off - in the first instance. (If they beat Spurs tonight, then it's a double-whammy for Parker.)

I don't get the last part of the comment, however. The season needs to be completed in a shorter term, and if Fulham were competing in four competitions, of course that would be taken into consideration. Why do you think it wouldn't?

However, Spurs are not a 'BRC'. We've never worn red in our lives - and never bleedin' will.

Comment

I have terrible news for you, Jah... according to HFK, Spurs wore red shirts from 1890 to 1896, and red was their change colour of choice- either plain red, or with white stripes or hoops- pretty regularly from the Edwardian era until 1950.

Comment

Wednesday have postponed their next two games (Coventry and Wycombe) due to Covid

Comment

It's going to be a nightmare for us to get the season finished now (assuming things don't get stopped) - both next week's games off, Everton in the cup on Saturday week and the next scheduled league game is Preston on January 30th. So that means we'll have to play half the season in fourteen weeks, and that includes a fortnight off for a completely pointless set of internationals in March.

Comment

A sensible governing body would be petitioning uefa/fifa to cancel those internationals now.

Comment

Villa vs Everton is off.

Comment

Carlisle have announced an outbreak and have had to call their next three games off and close everything down. Think the increased testing that the EFL have instigated is going to produce quite a few more of these scenarios.

Comment

Fucking hell stop football.

Comment

I think the EU should make it clear that no cross-border football will take place until, say, Easter, which would then free up European club and WC qualifying dates for delayed domestic games.* We are surely back where we were in March 2020 in terms of football not being viable for a couple of months, and everything needs pushing back to reflect that. Play the March 2021 WCQs in March 2022. Scrap the next fucking Nations League if necessary, and obviously all friendlies (I'm still gobsmacked that they played them last Autumn).

*It should not be left to UEFA and FIFA.

Comment

I think the EU should make it clear that no cross-border football will take place until, say, Easter, which would then free up European club and WC qualifying dates for delayed domestic games.* We are surely back where we were in March 2020 in terms of football not being viable for a couple of months, and everything needs pushing back to reflect that. Play the March 2021 WCQs in March 2022. Scrap the next fucking Nations League if necessary, and obviously all friendlies (I'm still gobsmacked that they played them last Autumn).

*It should not be left to UEFA and FIFA.
                      I doubt the EU is capable of making such a decision. It needs leadership from a couple of the major countries eg Germany and Italy or Spain to for force such a decision ?

Comment

The FA Trophy is being played across today and Tuesday and seems COVID-free AFAIK but the Vase is in limbo after last Saturday's round was postponed indefinitely. This reflects the fact that the Trophy, but not the Vase, has elite status.

Comment

Originally posted by fatbear View Post

I doubt the EU is capable of making such a decision. It needs leadership from a couple of the major countries eg Germany and Italy or Spain to for force such a decision ?
                          The EU has no competency to do any such thing. Outside of the Daily Mail, it doesn't have power outside of what nation states have expressly given it.

Comment

Altrincham had to forfeit their FA Trophy 4th Round tie due to COVID, which seems harsh given that the next round is not until 6th February.

Comment

Shrewsbury boss Steve Cotterill spent the weekend in ICU with Covid.

Comment

What would it need for the season to stop - a death?

Comment

What would it need for the season to stop - a death?
                                  Multiple, of fit and young adults.

Comment

A big name coach maybe - such as a former England player or boss?

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
                                      But then we'd lose The Squad's late Sunday morning bantz about their Fantasy Football teams! What kind of monster are you?

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post

Comment

The grants to the National League will now be loans:

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/55710617

Comment

The grants to the National League will now be loans:

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/55710617
                                            Things are really coming to a head now. Slough, Havant & Waterlooville and Concord are the first 3 National League clubs to say they won't play on Saturday. Presumably (and for the sake of solidarity, hopefully) more will follow. What I struggle to understand is how this supposed misunderstanding about whether the money offered to the league was to be in the form of a loan or a grant arose in the first place. Wouldn't there have been some sort of written agreement?

Meanwhile clubs at steps 3-6 have until tomorrow to respond to a survey about how to decide the season with the FA having announced in the meantime that fixtures can't resume until all clubs are allowed to admit spectators at the levels previously allowed in tier 2 and have access to secondary income streams i.e. bars. Surely that'll be season over then.

Comment

I think the issue with NL funding is that there were grants but they were only for the first three months of the season. Clearly there was a presumption at some level that crowds would be coming back after that period or that funding in the form of grants would be extended. It's where that presumption was made is the core of the matter.

Comment

More than a presumption as far as the clubs are concerned. "Quite simply 66 clubs would not have willingly participated in any footballing competition which initiated playing contracts, without assurances."

[URL="https://twitter.com/Ollie_Bayliss/status/1352330210704826371"]Ollie Bayliss on Twitter: ""We are calling for the immediate suspension of the league competition to allow the National League, FA and the DCMS time to find a solution that is acceptable to all." 12 National League North clubs have published the following statement: https://t.co/cFZPXgYQNM" / Twitter[/URL]

Comment

It wouldn't surprise me if there was no formal agreement about what would happen beyond the first three months because nobody in the discussions envisaged the situation with Covid being worse in January than it was in the autumn.

After all, it was as recently as early December (immediately post-Lockdown II) when crowds started being let back in to clubs at the National League levels for the first time since March.

Comment

Clearly there wasn't a formal agreement as it would've been produced long before now. I can't believe the subject didn't come up before the season began though.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X