X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speaking of Juve, Paolo Dybala and his partner have each tested positive

Comment

You've missed the crucial angle on that story, UA ;

[URL]https://twitter.com/bbcsportwales/status/1241432397360566278?s=21[/URL]

Comment

Originally posted by Janik View Post
        Yes.

re:18 teams, the Premier League has mooted the exact opposite if they can't complete this campaign - no relegation but adding the current top two in the Championship (Leeds and West Brom) for 2020/21 which would make a 22 team league. I know which of these blueprints I think is the likeliest to happen. Sorry imp.
        Bah, my plans to radicalise international club football thwarted again. And I would have gotten away with it if it hadn't been for those meddling club owners, greedy administrators and rapacious international corporations!

Comment

The first buds of football, at some level, somewhere in the world, starting up again: the Kansai League (a competition covering the area around Osaka and Kyoto in central Japan, at the fifth and sixth tiers of the Japanese pyramid) has just released its fixtures for the 2020 season, starting on 11th April.

Comment

Paolo Maldini and his son Daniele have both tested positive.

Comment

[URL]https://twitter.com/leeduffy7/status/1241461675544457218?s=21[/URL]

Comment

Lorenzo Sanz: Former Real Madrid president dies after contracting coronavirus - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51991851

Comment

I get what imp is saying regarding fixtures, but the league cup is important for lower league teams sometimes - in the past decade, Shrewsbury set their record crowd at the new ground (thanks to an additional temporary stand) when they played Chelsea in 2014 and 5000 Shrewsbury fans went to see their team at the Emirates in 2012. Those are important experiences for little clubs and add to the cultural importance of football. (Eden Hazard didn't know who we were. He called us Strawberry in an interview. It was hilarious.)

Yes to turning the clock back to knock out competitions in Europe. Yes to binning off 8 "international breaks" a year. In fact all the fixture contesting bollocks that is all down to UEFA. But can we keep the few chances we have for smaller clubs to play the BRCs and to be on TV occasionally? We need to protect the cups because that is where football history is made for so many teams.
                  Last edited by Patrick Thistle; 22-03-2020, 11:12.

Comment

Marouane Felleini has tested positive

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                      I get what imp is saying regarding fixtures, but the league cup is important for lower league teams sometimes - in the past decade, Shrewsbury set their record crowd at the new ground (thanks to an additional temporary stand) when they played Chelsea in 2014 and 5000 Shrewsbury fans went to see their team at the Emirates in 2012. Those are important experiences for little clubs and add to the cultural importance of football. (Eden Hazard didn't know who we were. He called us Strawberry in an interview. It was hilarious.)

Yes to turning the clock back to knock out competitions in Europe. Yes to binning off 8 "international breaks" a year. In fact all the fixture contesting bollocks that is all down to UEFA. But can we keep the few chances we have for smaller clubs to play the BRCs and to be on TV occasionally? We need to protect the cups because that is where football history is made for so many teams.
                      As a Lincoln fan, I partly agree and for exactly that reason would miss the League Cup. The other reason I like it is that - paradoxically because it's deemed to be less important - it produces some great games because teams are more adventurous and less tactically inhibited. But it shouldn't be such a crapshoot for lower league clubs - that is, they shouldn't have to rely on the hope of a big-name cup tie or (even less likely) a cup run to shore up their finances. That is, they should be able to (or should be obliged to) plan without that lottery-like cash infusion that's not granted to other clubs who didn't get Liverpool at home in the draw. It's a devalued, unnecessary competition. Let's face it, by the time the final comes around now no one really gives a toss, do they? And abolishing it might bring some prestige and value back to the FA Cup, especially if all countries were obliged by Uefa to grant a CL spot to the domestic cup winners. (He says, continuing to scribble his manifesto on the back of the increasingly tattered Corn Flakes packet...)

Comment

I think if you scrap one cup you set a precedent that cups don't matter at all. And I wasn't thinking so much about the finances but the memories. Packed out stadium under the floodlights. Jose Mourinho on the touchline in Salopia. Shrewsbury fans singing on the Tube. Hawkers selling half and half scarfs. The season is long and most of it is a dull slog. Take away the cups and it gets longer, not shorter.

And I don't really care what the big clubs think. They get a disproportionate say in everything anyway.

Comment

imp - I think this is a good convo. Perhaps start a "rebuilding football" thread?

Comment

Season deemed over @ steps 5 & 6
                            https://twitter.com/marcwebber/status/1242489557809061889?s=19

Comment

On the final paragraph, won't Step 5 need to know whether Step 4 will be relegating anyone (in addition to Bury)?

Comment

[URL]https://twitter.com/isthmianleague/status/1242496250420887554?s=21[/URL]

"The Isthmian, Northern Premier and Southern Leagues are unanimous in wanting to terminate the 2019-20 season immediately. The Step 5/6 Leagues also support the immediate termination of the season.

Whether that is done on the basis of determining final placings via average points per game, or the season is declared null & void cannot be determined until the National League decides how it wishes to proceed.

Right now, the National League’s position is that they wish to be able to resume the 2019-20 season at some point. The feeder Leagues do not support this because our Clubs do not have the financial resources to continue to honour Player contracts indefinitely.

The Step 3 and 4 Leagues have therefore commenced the process
                                to terminate the season. This has to be ratified by the FA Council, so there may be a short delay as the relevant documentation is submitted, distributed and approved.

Whilst this process is on-going, and once the National League has finalised how it wishes to proceed, competition issues can then be decided, together with the implications for promotion and relegation.

As soon as the National League’s position is finalised, we will be able to confirm the basis on which the 2019-20 season has ended. As I have already pointed out, we need as much commonality across the National League System as possible."

Comment

I can't see the point in the Conference pretending they can continue the season at some future point.

Comment

The main motivation must be maintaining the promotion of two clubs to the Football League.

Comment

Many of the Conference National clubs are professional outfits that draw good four figure crowds. These clubs will be thinking about the loss of revenue from cancelling give or take a quarter of the season. In terms of lost gate receipts some would be a six figure sum out of pocket.

Comment

But surely ending the season now means they know where they stand and what the losses will be. Isn't the uncertainty even worse?

Comment

Ending the season now won't mitigate their costs though, there's no benefit to them in doing it. I can understand holding out for a while longer to see if the remaining fixtures can be played in the summer to offset some of their losses.

Comment

https://twitter.com/youngy18/status/1242531398826811393?s=19

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
                                              Ending the season now won't mitigate their costs though, there's no benefit to them in doing it. I can understand holding out for a while longer to see if the remaining fixtures can be played in the summer to offset some of their losses.
                                              I know it sounds bad but they could put players / staff on the government scheme.

i dont think football will be back until June at the earliest and it might be behind closed doors so no matchday revenue anyway.

Comment

Carlisle's CEO said earlier this week

Where it will create a problem is if we don’t get to a position where this season is able to restart. If we don’t get to play our remaining fixtures it means there is still no income. The problem then worsens because the future money has been taken earlier and spent. This leaves nothing in the future in the way of cash income, but we will have additional loan repayments to make.

.... if we were to lose these games permanently, that’s income that’s lost to us forever, and we would still have a loan we’d taken out to pay back. The only way we’d be able to do that would be by generating new money quickly, or by cutting our costs for the 20/21 season.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                                                  I can't see the point in the Conference pretending they can continue the season at some future point.
                                                  If the EPL & EFL decide that they'll resume their season in Jul, say, through to October, or whatever, the the Conference will need to do something in that time slot - they can't just go their own way.

Comment

That would have to mean no promotion and relegation between tiers that are finishing and tiers that continue, as I understand it.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X