No announcement yet.

Footballers and CoronaVirus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Arsenal and Man City both took medical advice before postponing.

On the topic of going to three games a week in May rather than behind closed doors now, I'm not sure the physical requirements at top level could sustain that congestion and I'm sure bosses and players would oppose it. We really need the government to take a lead and not give the EPL or UEFA a choice. I still don't understand why Italian CL ties are not off automatically until April 3rd, for example, or why Wolves have to play at Olympiakos.
    Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 11-03-2020, 11:48.

Comment

The official explanation of the former is that the Italian football authorities lack ultimate jurisdiction over European matches and that UEFA has yet to act

Comment

I presume RAWK is going into meltdown over the comment in this Guardian piece that:

One executive at a Premier League club told the Guardian: “There is a growing feeling within English football that the season will have to be suspended.”

Comment

Not to pour fuel on the fire, but the German (Ice) Hockey League has cancelled their playoffs and will not be crowning a championship this season (the Bavarian ban on events with more than 1,000 spectators being the catalyst)

Comment

Don't forget that as well as annoying Liverpool fans, it would also deny Leeds promotion. It's almost like it's a Man Utd fans' plot.

Comment

A player with Hannover 96 of the 2. Bundesliga has become the first professional in Germany to test positive

Comment

I suppose the FA Cup could resume in early August because the eight teams left in it won't be playing in the preliminary and qualifying rounds. They can play the quarter finals on the Shield weekend of 1 & 2 August (because there won't be a Shield without League Champions and Cup Winners), the semis a couple of weeks later, then play the final in September the weekend after those Nations League matches.

Natually the winners of this would be the rightful Champions of English Football in 2020.
                Last edited by Kevin S; 11-03-2020, 13:30.

Comment

Surely the complications of not finishing the season (legal action over promotions denied or relegations imposed) would make it more sensible to postpone the Euro's and give clubs an extra couple of months to finish the season? I know that brings its own complications, but they seem to be less messy than calling it quits and not completing the fixtures.

Comment

Originally posted by pebblethefish View Post
                    Don't forget that as well as annoying Liverpool fans, it would also deny Leeds promotion. It's almost like it's a Man Utd fans' plot.
                    It might also deny Man Utd a CL spot.

Comment

Assuming the CL makes more money than the Euros, UEFA would presumably cancel or postpone the latter rather than not complete the CL. Instead they might be willing to play both in empty stadia but I don't think they have thought through how unreal those games feel or the health risks of having mass crowds watching on screens in pubs or parks.

Again it needs political action to take this out of UEFA's hands.

Comment

They don't really care about how anything "feels"

They care intensely about their ability to collect television and sponsorship revenue

Comment

It's a hell of a headache.

Unless the slightly warmer weather finishes off the virus in the next month or so, which is highly unlikely, then suspending all leagues and competitions immediately, cancelling the Euros, re-starting the leagues and competitions in the middle of the summer (and that's assuming that the virus has substantially declined by then) and then following them immediately with the new season is about the only way I can see to resolve the issue absent making all unfinished leagues and cups null and void.

Comment

They'll have to finish the season off somehow - if we were in November it would be feasible to scrap it.
                            Perhaps they can simulate the remaining games on a computer, or on FIFA? Make those e-gamer dweebs do something useful.
                            Or scrap/postpone Euro 2020 and cram it all in to those few weeks.

Comment

Nuno isn't happy with the decision not to postpone tomorrow's game.

Comment

Or scrap/postpone Euro 2020 and cram it all in to those few weeks.
                                I think we are reaching a consensus that this seems the most obvious thing to do. The Euros can be moved forward a year (like the Ryder Cup after 9/11). Qatar 2022 being in the winter means the Nations League and WCQ could be put back 4-5 months. Nobody's domestic season gets scrapped and the players get the same amount of rest (roughly).

Empty stadia are a shit answer.
                                Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 11-03-2020, 21:57.

Comment

Daniele Rugani of Juventus is confirmed to have Covid-19.

Comment

I honestly can't see them suspending the Euros. They'll be liable for cancelling with lots of stadia and I doubt they're insured for that. UEFA also won't want to refund the tickets.

Comment

It may well not be their choice, if what has happened in Italy and France is any indication

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                                        I honestly can't see them suspending the Euros. They'll be liable for cancelling with lots of stadia and I doubt they're insured for that.
                                        Why would you think that?

Comment

No way can it go ahead. Wouldn't UEFA have liability if their stupid multi country tournament was found to cause retransmission across Europe?

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
                                            No way can it go ahead. Wouldn't UEFA have liability if their stupid multi country tournament was found to cause retransmission across Europe?

Yes, and I'd have thought that the fact that the tournament isn't based in just one or two countries makes it easier to postpone, given that the economic and organisational impact will be spread across the continent rather than more narrowly focused.

Comment

Here is what I strongly suspect will happen if across Europe if games are off for two or three months - leagues will use the 'exceptional circumstances' clause they should have in their rules to call most remaining games null and void and make the league tables as they stand at the point where games cease the final ones. With a few make-up games played behind closed doors to ensure every side has played the same number of fixtures, just not the complete double round-robin. The league tables after 30 rounds (or whatever) then give European spots, relegations, promotions, etc. and next season can kick off as scheduled with competitions intact.

Clubs going down/missing out on promotion/Europe and so on would be up in arms over such an outcome obviously, but they are going to struggle to dispute these are exceptional circumstances so would end up having to abide by it in the end. As long as leagues have written such a thing into their rules, which clubs accede to in full by joining these competitions.

Cup competitions would have to be abandoned, though.
                                              Last edited by Janik; 12-03-2020, 01:54.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post

It would also mean points deductions being rendered meaningless and miscreants getting away with their bad behaviour.
                                                Mate, believe me, whatever happens to this season, there's no way anyone would feel they'd got away with anything at Bolton. The embargo and the points deduction has meant traipsing up and down the country watching a collection of kids, loanees, ne'er do wells, has beens and never gonna bes getting done over week after week. That doesnt do much to attract new investment or new supporters to stop us from ever being in this position again.

Of the other two 'miscreants' in the EFL, I cant imagine its been much fun at Macclesfield and poor Bury paid the ultimate sanction for spending money they didnt have.

Comment

Originally posted by Toby Gymshorts View Post

Why would you think that?
                                                  Because I don't think UEFA would have thought this a serious risk as it signed multiple contracts with stadium companies. The insurance would be the other way round - if the stadium company couldn't fulfil its obligations.

I think it's more likely that UEFA would want the Euros to be football's glorious return on the continent once Covid19 has gone away. (Which is a big if, really.)

Comment

I assume that it is a sort of game of insurance chicken - if the various Governments postpone the events then UEFA can claim against the stadium rather than vice versa.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X